Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anybody tried Mag Safe Ammo?

Thanks a lot, Vanzpp. Now, this thread is becoming an important addition to the knowledge base available in the Ammunition section!

I had seen this ammo carried by leading online ammo sellers, so I figured it must have some legitimacy. Then, I went to their website and read what they say about the ammo, and it made sense to my engineer's mind. As I get my CM9 broken in, I am going to try some of this ammo: see how it functions in the gun, and how accurate it is compared to conventional rounds. I have an idea that, within the 7 yard defensive range, it will be effective.
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    a way way over rated very very expoensi8ve round that I never read of ANYONE bragging about the round. If u notice theys eemtooperate on the principal of a very very light weight bullet to achieve some of their add hype.

I don';t see the gun rags promoting it, and any of the so called good gun testers out there either.
    I got caught eemtooperateing once. Very embarrassing for both of us.
    ..... I carry a small gun to compensate for my huge pecker.

Default All the info...

I went back and read the Performance Info page again, and decided to just copy it here:

MAGNUM PERFORMANCE WITH SAFETY...
    That's the concept which led to MagSafe Ammo, the world's most effective handgun ammo. There isn't another bullet anywhere with the take-charge performance offered by MagSafe Ammo.

DESIGNED FOR PERFECT PENETRATION DEPTH
    MagSafe's revolutionary design uses large lead shotgun pellets rather than solid lead for a bullet's core. The earliest versions (1986-1987) used small pellets, like the #6 shot a competitor uses for their "Silver" line of frangible ammo.

Early in the design process, hundreds of videotaped test shots were made into ordnance gelatin. Then, viewed in slow motion, you could see how a core's pellet size and pattern created the greatest wound damage for any given caliber.

It was quickly learned that using much larger #2 or #3 shot gave perfect penetration depth in gelatin or flesh-form 10 to 13 inches (two to three times as much penetration as our competitors). A large man's chest is only 12 inches thick from front to back, and any more penetration than that was wasted energy which would endanger innocent people.

That was the first goal reached - ammunition which won't overpenetrate a torso and hurt or kill innocent bystanders.

REDUCED RICOCHET HAZARD
    One side benefit of using huge shot pellets is the reduction of ricochets, because larger objects are affected more by rotational forces. Tests showed that MagSafe Ammo won't even glance off slimy, wet boards at the most shallow of angles. They also don't ricochet off windshields, car doors or interior house walls. And, most importantly, they won't glance off bone.

ANOTHER GOAL WAS REACHED. "CONTROLLED-CORE TECHNOLOGY"
    For almost a year, experimentation with shot placement within the bullet's jacket continued, looking for a fan-shaped pellet wound channel. It was felt that the wider the pattern the better the chance of hitting vital organs, even with a poolry-placed shot.

By arranging pellets in specific patterns, literally stacking them in place one at a time, by hand, bullets could be designed to work nearly any way wanted - maybe deeper penetration, or wider wound channel, some even to break apart in sheetrock walls.

To stabilize the pellet patterns until the instant of impact, dozens of types of epoxy resins were tested. A custom blend with perfect properties was found - it is easily broken apart at impact, yet tough enough to launch at twice the velocity of normal bullets.

No other ammo uses high-tech resins or pellets put onto specific patterns by hand.

WORLD'S FASTEST AMMO - YET LOWEST RECOIL!
    The final goal - to have the world's fastest ammo, yet with much less recoil than standard (slower) ammunition - was really tough.

However, hot loads are now offered like the .45 ACP SUPER SWAT load, which clocks 2,160 + feet per second (fps) in a five-inch auto - yet has about one-third the recoil.

The 9mm Mini-Glock Load cruises along at about 2,000 fps from Glock's teensy Model 26, yet has far more stopping ability than the nastiest .357 magnum or 10mm hollowpoint in the world. Yet the recoil is about like shooting low-powered target loads!

LOTS OF FOLKS SAID "IT WON'T WORK"

For example, half a dozen gun "experts" stated a 66-grain bullet would not function a .45 ACP weapon. So, MagSafe was tested in full-auto Tommy Guns, which don't function very well at all with light ammo. It was also tried in a 645 Smith with 28-lb. recoil springs - just to make sure.

Then the folks at Magnum Research said a slug as light as 250 grains would not function their massive Desert Eagle in .50 Action Express Caliber. MagSafe's 180-grainer functioned perfectly under all conditions.

MAGSAFE SWEPT THE STRASBOURG TESTS
    The now -famous Strasbourg Tests put MagSafe on the map. To Summarize what nearly everyone already knows, over 600 live French Alpine goats (their bodies are very much like humans) were shot under controlled conditions: no anesthetic, same shot placement form animal to animal, and with blood pressure and heart rate monitors to determine the Incapacitation Time (measure of how long it took a goat to cease functioning after the single shot was delivered).

MagSafe Ammo worked - better than anything else. Tests were done without MagSafe's knowledge, so some versions tested were the lowest powered. For example, two types of .380 ACP are offered; the .380 Defender, a 60-grainer at 1,360 fps in a Colt Mustang; and the .380 MAX (designed for a big city's undercover drug agents) with a 52-grain slug sizzling along at 1,620 fps in the Mustang.

The Defender has 247 ft-lbs of energy, while the MAX load has 303 ft-lbs. The Defender's lower velocity hampered stopping power, resulting in a Average Incapacitation Time (AIT) of 7.12 seconds. That's the average time for five different goats, each shot once with the MagSafe 60-grain Defender.

However - and this is where things get interesting - there wasn't a jacketed hollowpoint bullet in ANY caliber which dropped the goats faster than MagSafe's weakest .380 load!

MagSafe's .380 beat every .45 ACP slug, every 10mm, every 9mm (including police-only ammo), every .40 caliber - no matter who made it - Cor-Bon, Remington, Glaser and HydraShok.

In fact, MagSafe's lowest-powered .380 ACP load had an AIT faster than the best manstopper of all time - Remington's .357 Magnum 125-grain JHP!

Average Incapacitation Times for all other MagSafe's calibers were in the 4-second range, and MagSafe topped the tests in every caliber but .357 Magnum (a prototype Quik-Shot beat by a fraction of a second), and .38 Special, where Glaser won by .04 seconds. Had the .38 Special tests been done in a 2-inch barrel, MagSafe would have topped that test, too.

THE BOTTOM LINE

MagSafe Ammo is faster, recoils less, and stops attackers faster than any other ammunition in the world. Elite forces are outfitted with MagSafe, from Navy SEALS to the Royal Hong Kong Police anti-gang units, from big-city undercover narcs to guards at some of America's meanest prisons.

The reason is simple. MagSafe works. It's expensive, but it works. You really can turn your .380 into .45 auto, but you have to pay for this kind of hand-crafted performance.

The question is this: Just how much is your life worth?

Here are the stats for 9mm Luger:

Name......................... Wt... Speed/Hitting Power... Description............................
    #95 + P Max Load...... 64... 1,950fps/540 ft-lbs.... Best all-around 9mm load
    #9MG Mini-Glock Load 50... 2,000fps/444 ft-lbs.... Best for short-barrelled autos
    #9D Defender............. 60... 1,800fps/431 ft-lbs.... Lowest recoil of any 9mm
    Very interesting...

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

I don't know what kind of animals they are using a 380 on, nor how effective this ammo is. For what it is worth, we are using Hornady's Critical Defense 90gr FTX in our 380 for carry. You may wish to look into this Hornady ammo. However, there's lots of good carry ammo out there, so I am not entering any debate. Do your homework. It is what you feel confident using. Hopefully you never need to use it and if you do, it does the job for you. The new 380 ammo has come a long way and the FTX is an excellent choice among many other good ones and not so good ones.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    I am going to try some of this ammo: see how it functions in the gun, and how accurate it is compared to conventional rounds. I have an idea that, within the 7 yard defensive range, it will be effective.
    Let us know how your test goes! I'm always interested in input from others on this round.

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    However, there's lots of good carry ammo out there, so I am not entering any debate. Do your homework. It is what you feel confident using.
    I agree. Nothing wrong with Hornady or any of the other established HP loads.

Thumbs up

I agree, too. Just doing some homework on these rounds. They piqued the interest of my engineer's mind.
    Very interesting...

I agree, too. Just doing some homework on these rounds. They piqued the interest of my engineer's mind.

Well, any news on your Magsafe test?

I should also add that I called Magsafe about using the +P+ Max .38 special load in alloy framed guns like my SW 642.

I was told that as long as the gun is +P rated, there is no problem.

I went back and read the Performance Info page again, and decided to just copy it here:

MAGNUM PERFORMANCE WITH SAFETY...
    That's the concept which led to MagSafe Ammo, the world's most effective handgun ammo. There isn't another bullet anywhere with the take-charge performance offered by MagSafe Ammo.

DESIGNED FOR PERFECT PENETRATION DEPTH
    MagSafe's revolutionary design uses large lead shotgun pellets rather than solid lead for a bullet's core. The earliest versions (1986-1987) used small pellets, like the #6 shot a competitor uses for their "Silver" line of frangible ammo.

Early in the design process, hundreds of videotaped test shots were made into ordnance gelatin. Then, viewed in slow motion, you could see how a core's pellet size and pattern created the greatest wound damage for any given caliber.

It was quickly learned that using much larger #2 or #3 shot gave perfect penetration depth in gelatin or flesh-form 10 to 13 inches (two to three times as much penetration as our competitors). A large man's chest is only 12 inches thick from front to back, and any more penetration than that was wasted energy which would endanger innocent people.

That was the first goal reached - ammunition which won't overpenetrate a torso and hurt or kill innocent bystanders.

REDUCED RICOCHET HAZARD
    One side benefit of using huge shot pellets is the reduction of ricochets, because larger objects are affected more by rotational forces. Tests showed that MagSafe Ammo won't even glance off slimy, wet boards at the most shallow of angles. They also don't ricochet off windshields, car doors or interior house walls. And, most importantly, they won't glance off bone.

ANOTHER GOAL WAS REACHED. "CONTROLLED-CORE TECHNOLOGY"
    For almost a year, experimentation with shot placement within the bullet's jacket continued, looking for a fan-shaped pellet wound channel. It was felt that the wider the pattern the better the chance of hitting vital organs, even with a poolry-placed shot.

By arranging pellets in specific patterns, literally stacking them in place one at a time, by hand, bullets could be designed to work nearly any way wanted - maybe deeper penetration, or wider wound channel, some even to break apart in sheetrock walls.

To stabilize the pellet patterns until the instant of impact, dozens of types of epoxy resins were tested. A custom blend with perfect properties was found - it is easily broken apart at impact, yet tough enough to launch at twice the velocity of normal bullets.

No other ammo uses high-tech resins or pellets put onto specific patterns by hand.

WORLD'S FASTEST AMMO - YET LOWEST RECOIL!
    The final goal - to have the world's fastest ammo, yet with much less recoil than standard (slower) ammunition - was really tough.

However, hot loads are now offered like the .45 ACP SUPER SWAT load, which clocks 2,160 + feet per second (fps) in a five-inch auto - yet has about one-third the recoil.

The 9mm Mini-Glock Load cruises along at about 2,000 fps from Glock's teensy Model 26, yet has far more stopping ability than the nastiest .357 magnum or 10mm hollowpoint in the world. Yet the recoil is about like shooting low-powered target loads!

LOTS OF FOLKS SAID "IT WON'T WORK"
    For example, half a dozen gun "experts" stated a 66-grain bullet would not function a .45 ACP weapon. So, MagSafe was tested in full-auto Tommy Guns, which don't function very well at all with light ammo. It was also tried in a 645 Smith with 28-lb. recoil springs - just to make sure.

Then the folks at Magnum Research said a slug as light as 250 grains would not function their massive Desert Eagle in .50 Action Express Caliber. MagSafe's 180-grainer functioned perfectly under all conditions.

MAGSAFE SWEPT THE STRASBOURG TESTS
    The now -famous Strasbourg Tests put MagSafe on the map. To Summarize what nearly everyone already knows, over 600 live French Alpine goats (their bodies are very much like humans) were shot under controlled conditions: no anesthetic, same shot placement form animal to animal, and with blood pressure and heart rate monitors to determine the Incapacitation Time (measure of how long it took a goat to cease functioning after the single shot was delivered).

MagSafe Ammo worked - better than anything else. Tests were done without MagSafe's knowledge, so some versions tested were the lowest powered. For example, two types of .380 ACP are offered; the .380 Defender, a 60-grainer at 1,360 fps in a Colt Mustang; and the .380 MAX (designed for a big city's undercover drug agents) with a 52-grain slug sizzling along at 1,620 fps in the Mustang.

The Defender has 247 ft-lbs of energy, while the MAX load has 303 ft-lbs. The Defender's lower velocity hampered stopping power, resulting in a Average Incapacitation Time (AIT) of 7.12 seconds. That's the average time for five different goats, each shot once with the MagSafe 60-grain Defender.

However - and this is where things get interesting - there wasn't a jacketed hollowpoint bullet in ANY caliber which dropped the goats faster than MagSafe's weakest .380 load!

MagSafe's .380 beat every .45 ACP slug, every 10mm, every 9mm (including police-only ammo), every .40 caliber - no matter who made it - Cor-Bon, Remington, Glaser and HydraShok.

In fact, MagSafe's lowest-powered .380 ACP load had an AIT faster than the best manstopper of all time - Remington's .357 Magnum 125-grain JHP!

Average Incapacitation Times for all other MagSafe's calibers were in the 4-second range, and MagSafe topped the tests in every caliber but .357 Magnum (a prototype Quik-Shot beat by a fraction of a second), and .38 Special, where Glaser won by .04 seconds. Had the .38 Special tests been done in a 2-inch barrel, MagSafe would have topped that test, too.

THE BOTTOM LINE
    MagSafe Ammo is faster, recoils less, and stops attackers faster than any other ammunition in the world. Elite forces are outfitted with MagSafe, from Navy SEALS to the Royal Hong Kong Police anti-gang units, from big-city undercover narcs to guards at some of America's meanest prisons.

The reason is simple. MagSafe works. It's expensive, but it works. You really can turn your .380 into .45 auto, but you have to pay for this kind of hand-crafted performance.

The question is this: Just how much is your life worth?

Here are the stats for 9mm Luger:

Name......................... Wt... Speed/Hitting Power... Description............................
    #95 + P Max Load...... 64... 1,950fps/540 ft-lbs.... Best all-around 9mm load
    #9MG Mini-Glock Load 50... 2,000fps/444 ft-lbs.... Best for short-barrelled autos
    #9D Defender............. 60... 1,800fps/431 ft-lbs.... Lowest recoil of any 9mm
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57072

Save your money.