Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which shooting stance do you use?

Default Which shooting stance do you use?

At work they teach us to use an isosceles stance because your vest faces the threat and gives you the most protection but what happens when you’re off duty and not wearing a vest. Now your whole unprotected chest is facing the threat if you use an isosceles stance, do you now use a weaver stance?

My belief is neither stance will be used in most gun fights. From the USMC rules for gun fighting #4 says " If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.". If you're shot at first you'll probably crouch in reaction. I guess it is possible to be trained and conditioned to stand and deliver but I suspect that's not going to happen at the ranges most shootouts are likely to take place. I doubt many gun fighting systems would advocate or stress either "range" stance. Just my opinion.

Bill K.

Weaver stance is more natural and I shoot well that way rapidly. It's just the way i shoot. I don't have a vest since I'm just a civilian so that doesn't apply to me.

For practice shooting I think it's called the Weaver stance or modified Weaver, My right toe is in line with the back of my left heel shoulder width apart. (I'm right handed). Body is turned slightly to the right, strong arm is straight with wrist inline with the pistol, support arm is bent and left hand cupped under my shooting hand.
    I've had no training, so this is just the way things ended up, especially after buying my Kahrs, and finding out I'd been a limp wrister all these years and making necessary changes. In a gunfight I imagine all this is going out the window as I move and look for cover.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    My belief is neither stance will be used in most gun fights. From the USMC rules for gun fighting #4 says " If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.". If you're shot at first you'll probably crouch in reaction. I guess it is possible to be trained and conditioned to stand and deliver but I suspect that's not going to happen at the ranges most shootouts are likely to take place. I doubt many gun fighting systems would advocate or stress either "range" stance. Just my opinion.

Bill K.
    Sounds right to me. I guess we should all practice shooting while moving, etc... as often as we get the chance.

I’m not in LE but did take a combat handgun course.
    Instructed to shoot standing, lying on the ground and in a seated position.
    Both hands, left hand only and right hand only. Reloading with only one hand. Shooting at moving targets. Shooting after immediate strenuous exercise. I think you all get the drift.

i use a weaver stance at the range for quals but for practice I always move and shoot...It is more of a weaver or modified weaverthan an Isosceles because I am bladed. Although it makes the armpit area susceptible, it reduces the overall target, protects the groin and lower abdomen and to a small extent your throat and eyes. I also tuck my lead arm (left) against my body somewhat shielding the armpit area...

Quote Originally Posted by Suthrncop66 View Post
    protects the groin and lower abdomen ...
    Now I'm all for protecting that area. That's got me thinking Kevlar undies now.

If no cover is available I square off and get small

I probably shouldn't take a position but after reviewing both stances I have to say they both suck in a gun fight. I practice the C.A.R. position which is very bladed and you use your left eye to shoot right handed because the gun is aligned with it. It is closer to a rifle stance than classic pistol.

I don't know the actual percentages, but I'd estimate your cross section is reduced by at least 50% over the Weaver. This is important when in a close action shoot out where neither is likely doing much with sights.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."