CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM9 Break in

Default CM9 Break in

I was excited to get my CM9 this past weekend and took it to the range today to put the recommended 200 rounds through it. The slide failed to lock back at the end of 7 out the first 10 magazines. After that it locked back through the remainder of the 30 some magazines. I also had 6 FTF's using cheap target ammo.

Is this typical for a brand new Kahr? The slide issue seemed to be resolved by the end of my trip and the FTF's I am chalking up to the ammo. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Honestly I think it's more common of shooters who have never shot the little guns. That small grip takes some getting used to. I have had two of the larger P9s with no issues and the first trip with the PM9 (which is the same size as the CM9 btw) I had 3 failures to lock back. The third time I actually felt my thumb riding the slide stop lever. After making a grip adjustment no more issues.
    Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
    C. S. Lewis

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I had 3 issues the first 150 rounds. one fail to feed and 2 mag drops. I think most was me. After that the next 100 were flawless as I made sure I did my part. Also got pretty good shooting it too. I do think it's one tight little pistol and gets better with every round. Will do another 100 this week.

Welcome to KT!
    I have had no issues of any kind with my CM9 with 6 or 8 round mags.
    I use this lube guide on a new Khar before shooting it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...LubePoints.jpg
    When I bought my CW40 it got the same lube treatment and it too is perfect.
    Also check out.
    http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521
    Last edited by slowpoke; 07-11-2011 at 11:30 PM.

PoppaMike Guest

Flat-nose, 147 grain, brass or fmj case should help if you're having nose-down or loading issues.

I've found that, at least in my CM9, the rounded-nose cartridges often nose-down after the 1st chambered round is fired. I switched to flat-nosed & VOILÀ, no issues.

If you're not sure, make a spreadsheet & try out different ammo, noting brand, grain, case & write down any issues or no issues. I did just this for over 1,000 rounds now & learned the above.

I have no affiliation with any brands, but a case of Remington UMC LM9MM9 147 Grain was available at my local shop -works like "buttah", every time. Also found that Federal's American Eagle AE9FP 147 FMJ works just as well.

Now to try out the personal defense Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points this week @ the range to see if they feed well. If not, any1 have any personal defense ammo suggestions for our CM9s??

Night all!
    -PoppaMike •-{)>>>

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaMike View Post
    Flat-nose, 147 grain, brass or fmj case should help if you're having nose-down or loading issues.

I've found that, at least in my CM9, the rounded-nose cartridges often nose-down after the 1st chambered round is fired. I switched to flat-nosed & VOILÀ, no issues.

If you're not sure, make a spreadsheet & try out different ammo, noting brand, grain, case & write down any issues or no issues. I did just this for over 1,000 rounds now & learned the above.

I have no affiliation with any brands, but a case of Remington UMC LM9MM9 147 Grain was available at my local shop -works like "buttah", every time. Also found that Federal's American Eagle AE9FP 147 FMJ works just as well.

Now to try out the personal defense Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points this week @ the range to see if they feed well. If not, any1 have any personal defense ammo suggestions for our CM9s??

Night all!
    -PoppaMike •-{)>>>
    I'm useing 124 Fed AE for plinkers and 124 Fed Hydra-Shock for SD.
    No failures of any kind.

Default did u

Quote Originally Posted by sabrs584 View Post
    I was excited to get my CM9 this past weekend and took it to the range today to put the recommended 200 rounds through it. The slide failed to lock back at the end of 7 out the first 10 magazines. After that it locked back through the remainder of the 30 some magazines. I also had 6 FTF's using cheap target ammo.

Is this typical for a brand new Kahr? The slide issue seemed to be resolved by the end of my trip and the FTF's I am chalking up to the ammo. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    by chance visit the kahr tech secrtion and hit on two good stickys?

Kahr lube cvhart

Propper prepping of ur new kahr. If u just took iut out of the box, more than likely those two stickys would have helped alot..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

flat nose, round nose,m kahrs should shoot anything that goes into the pipe. .

I personally don't like flat nose ammo, to me there is just no way it is going to feed better than a good rouond nose bullet, YMMV...
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I was lucky that I found the new gun prep sticky on my first visit to this forum. I had just bought my CW9 and followed the directions to a T. I followed the directions again on both my CW45 and my CM9. All three have been a joy to shoot from day one.

Always glad to read about the best ammunition for defense to use in the CM9's. I'm considering purchasing one and I know I'll be carrying it for a while before getting a chance to get to a range. Currently I'm carrying a Beretta Mod 85 single stack magazine, which has never failed in any way right out of the box, but it is heavy and hard to conceal.