CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speer LE Gold Dot 9mm+p 124gr GDHP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Speer LE Gold Dot 9mm+p 124gr GDHP

I just picked up a 50 round box of Speer LE Gold Dot Duty Ammunition 9mm+p 124gr GDH for $29. How did I do?
    Very interesting...

nothing close to that price around here.Is that any differnet than124 GD +P ammo?
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    Nothing close to that price around here. Is that any different than 124 GD +P ammo?
    It's bonded, says "LE" and "Duty Ammunition" on the box, and comes in a 50 round box instead of 20. He said this is the duty ammunition for the Asheville, NC, Police Department (largest city in Western NC) and for the NC Highway Patrol. I guess the bonding ensures good penetration of car doors and windows. That's all I know.
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    It's bonded, says "LE" and "Duty Ammunition" on the box, and comes in a 50 round box instead of 20. He said this is the duty ammunition for the Asheville, NC, Police Department (largest city in Western NC) and for the NC Highway Patrol. I guess the bonding ensures good penetration of car doors and windows. That's all I know.
    I believe all of Speer's self defense ammo is bonded (LE or not).
    In fact Speer may have been one of the first manufacturers to use a bonded process. Now most of the manufactures have a bonded LE bullet.

My understanding is that Speer, and others, do use a slightly different HP design for LE applications.

Technical Note:
    Before some distributor jumps me on it I'm speaking generally.
    Speer LE Short Barrel, for instance, has the same part number as
    the civilian version.

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    My understanding is that Speer, and others, do use a slightly different HP design for LE applications.

I'm 99.999% sure its the same bullet as the 124 grain +P load you find in the 20 round boxes.

It is pure and simple marketing by Speer.

Go to ATG.com and you'll see it in the 20 round boxes.

Notice that when you see it in the 20 round boxes, it's labeled "Personal Protection". That's to make you feel like you're buying something special and feel okay about paying substantially more per round than when you can find it in the 50 round boxes labeled "Law Enforcement"

That aside, it's a fine round. NYPD uses it among others.

Quote Originally Posted by HadEmAll View Post
    I'm 99.999% sure its the same bullet as the 124 grain +P load you find in the 20 round boxes.

It is pure and simple marketing by Speer.

Go to ATG.com and you'll see it in the 20 round boxes.

Notice that when you see it in the 20 round boxes, it's labeled "Personal Protection". That's to make you feel like you're buying something special and feel okay about paying substantially more per round than when you can find it in the 50 round boxes labeled "Law Enforcement"

That aside, it's a fine round. NYPD uses it among others.
    That may be true for Speer.
    I sure don't see anything like Winchester Ranger T-Series
    or Federal Tactical Bonded in non LE form...

Same price the KylesGunshop.com has for Gold Dots LE +P and Federal HST +P.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

That must be good stuff. The price per round is double that of Winchester Ranger .40 S&W 135 grain JHP (normal pressure) delivered.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

There's probably a difference between the Short Barrel and the regular GD's in 9mm. There's a marked difference in the .45 230-gr GD's, with the SB's having a shallower and wider at the bottom cavity. The regular is about 1/10" deeper and has a smaller surface area on the flat bottom of the cavity. They are different, but I wish they SB's came in cheaper 50-round boxes.

I think there's enough difference for me to buy the SB's for my PM45. That's just me, though. For the 3" barrel I'm satisfied that the cost difference is worth it to me.

JMHO

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    There's probably a difference between the Short Barrel and the regular GD's in 9mm. There's a marked difference in the .45 230-gr GD's, with the SB's having a shallower and wider at the bottom cavity. The regular is about 1/10" deeper and has a smaller surface area on the flat bottom of the cavity. They are different, but I wish they SB's came in cheaper 50-round boxes.

I think there's enough difference for me to buy the SB's for my PM45. That's just me, though. For the 3" barrel I'm satisfied that the cost difference is worth it to me.

JMHO

Wynn
    I've got Short Barrel for my 40 and my 38.
    Definitely a different bullet.