Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PM9 Mag Release RUSTING!

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    Okay . . . I was confused by the name you used, sorry.

I believe the manufacturer refers to your holster as a DeSantis Superfly holster.

DeSantis also makes a Nemesis holster, which does cover the magazine release, as illustrated.

Bummer that the stickier DeSantis Superfly holster does not cover the mag release. It looks nice otherwise.
    Yes, my bad - I called it a Nemesis Superfly, when it's just a Desantis Superfly, vs the Desantis Nemesis which you guys have. In any case, I had the word "Superfly" in there.

Why is it a bummer to not cover the mag release? I wouldn't have it any other way because of not being able to get a grip on the gun in a hurry, and I'm pretty sure mag release rusting is VERY uncommon.

My PM40 does not have a laser, so it may fit differently in the Nemesis. However, when I reach into my pocket to grip the pistol, my fingers end up on the grip just below the trigger guard and it comes out of the pocket (and holster, of course) in the ready to fire position.

I wonder if the thinner holster material makes the difference?

Whatever. I understand your pain. I have a little Kel-Tec that I sometimes pocket carry in a Nemesis. It was blued when I bought it, but I sent it to Jack Fusilier for nickel plating. The exposed corner of the nickel plated slide turns dark, like an old coin, in my pocket.

Edited to add: Oh, and covering the mag release helps prevent unexpected, in pocket magazine ejections. Or, so I am told, never having experienced it personally. YMMV of course
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Bah that stinks.

It's interesting reading about the rusting mag release here because this is the first I've read about it and I did a ton of reading before buying my PM9 a couple of months ago. Have gone through so many pocket pieces I've lost count.

I figure it can't be hard to replace that release, though, should it become a problem. Mine looks brand new still, though I've only been carrying it for a few months.

takes maybe 5 minutes for some even less, there is a photo tutorial on this site somewhere. I think it could be in the kahr tech section under GB6491 cw45 fixes. Normaly this little parts shys away from rust, but one never knows in this case. It could also be just the person body acid doing somethhing to it. Could be that MIM part had more ironinit that maybe others, could be his is just gonna rust and needs to havemore attention toit.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I ended up purchasing a Blackhawk Sportster #3 for $10 at WalMart and it covers the mag release and should work ok. I will just have to keep that part well oiled.

It disappoints me about the mag release not being stainless, because the main reason I purchased the Kahr PM9 was it was stainless & polymer and I did not expect anything to rust. Now I will have to decide if I am going to keep it or get something else. I wish Glock made a pocket pistol as small as the Kahr or the Diamondback DB9.

very few owners have ever reported this happening, my bet it could be body chemistry causing it more than not. It is a MIM part, it is ot stainless. I sure would hate to think I was going to get rid of the gun because of that. Get a new mag release, it just might be OK. possably this part in ur gun had more of something in it that normal. It is certainly not an issue with kahrs. Send it off and let some refinisher put a durable finish on it. Molre than one way to skin a cat besides peddling it for sure a trivial reason, IMO.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Default Superfly

My old DeSantis Superfly covers the mag release, but the new one that I bought a month or so ago from the Kahr shop does not. Edit, I have the Crimson Trace also.

I like the old one. It is a shame they changed it.
    Last edited by Alfonse; 08-08-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Left out information

I wonder if something has changed with the newer guns causing this. I was cleaning my CM9 tonight and noticed the mag release rusting. I carry it IWB in a Remora #4 with Sweat Shield which covers the mag release, but just barily. Going to have to pay more attention to keeping it oiled and see what happens.

mine is rusting also on my CM9

If I'm not careful, my P45 will do it quick. Clean it off, and use Barricade on it after it's clean. That helps tremendously, or get a different holster that covers that area, and has some kind of moisture protection. Or just keep an eye on things and clean it as needed, keep a little more oil than normal there, that's what I did for the longest time with the P45. My P45 is older, so this is not a new thing. I have yet to carry the wife's CW45 more than around the house, so I have no idea if it will do the same.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.