Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for quality yet inexpensive ccw

Default Looking for quality yet inexpensive ccw

Hello all. I am new to the site and in the market for a quality, trustworthy, yet inexpensive ccw. I was very interested in the cw40 but am having second thoughts after reading some posts claiming the weapon has issues. I had a S&W M&P 40 that I really liked but was too thick for me to cary. Money is fairly tight ( I have $500 - 550 to spend) and I'm wondering if the $400+ would be better spent on a used handgun with better history? I am fairly small person with smaller hands and the cw series fit great. Any help would be very appreciated and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area.
    Thanks

Welcome LCHAV. I have 13 pistols mostly SIG's, HK, S&W, An STI, and a Kimber. Other than an LCP my son gave me, my CW40 is the most inexpensive gun I own. It is also my favorite OWB carry. It has been problem free from the first day and I shoot it very well. I have also had four other Kahr's over the last three or four years, and have never had a problem with any of them. I also have a compact M&P 40 and It's a fine reliable gun, but I carry the Kahr, not the M&P. If I can't cover the CW40, I'll slip a PM9 or LCP in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by LCHAV View Post
    Hello all. I am new to the site and in the market for a quality, trustworthy, yet inexpensive ccw. I was very interested in the cw40 but am having second thoughts after reading some posts claiming the weapon has issues. I had a S&W M&P 40 that I really liked but was too thick for me to cary. Money is fairly tight ( I have $500 - 550 to spend) and I'm wondering if the $400+ would be better spent on a used handgun with better history? I am fairly small person with smaller hands and the cw series fit great. Any help would be very appreciated and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area.
    Thanks
    If you're not in a hurry, taking your time cherry picking a used gun
    can really stretch your dollar. And allow you to up grade. But there is risk involved. I only buy used from reputable gun shops.

Just get a new CW9 (around $400). That pistol has experienced very few problems, and will last you a long time.

Default buy

Thanks
    the cm9 and you will never regret tha tpurchase. what a super gun, plenty of firepower and it willbe a joy to shoot also. The 40 cal kahrs tend to be hotter than most guns due to it light weight.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    the cm9 and you will never regret tha tpurchase. what a super gun, plenty of firepower and it willbe a joy to shoot also. The 40 cal kahrs tend to be hotter than most guns due to it light weight.
    (+1) What he said...

Welcome to the forum LCHAV. If you read enough forums, ALL guns have issues, even Glocks. I've haven't noticed much more bad press about the CW40 on this site, than any of the other Kahrs, and if you do have issues, Kahr has first rate customer service. I had to send my CW45 back to have some work done on it, and it was back in my hands in exactly one week and has been flawless.
    My first Kahr was a CW40, Once I learned to shoot correctly, it hasn't had a bit of trouble. I did do a little filing on part of it so it would eject live rounds of Winchester Ranger 155gr HP easier, (they have a pretty wide mouth which would get hung up on a flat part of the barrel that extends back from the barrel itself), everything else has run fine through it. I did have to learn to keep my wrist in line with my shooting hand so the gun would cycle properly and return to battery all the way. That was my first polymer framed gun, I guess they flex a little more than metal frames, and it showed a flaw in my shooting technique. Anyway, I was so pleased with the gun that I bought a CW45. If you look around you can get the CW40 for under $400.
    Jet Guns has a CW9 for $352 right now, but no CW40's in stock. Bud's has the .40 for $406 today, and the CW9 for $399.
    The CW40 does have a bit of recoil to it, because of it's light weight, but you get used to that pretty quick. I'm a pretty small and not that strong, but I enjoy shooting it.
    I bought my CW40 from a local gun store, for around $450. I shopped around and got the CW45 for $352 with free shipping. The FFL added $20 for the transfer and it was mine for $376 after insurance and transfer.
    The CM9 would be a fine gun if you're looking wanting something for pocket carry, and has had a very good reputation. It's $433 at Bud's today.
    Good luck and hope you enjoy whatever you decide on.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

agree with what THETMANSKI said, not that that means a damn thing but he is right on and being an owner of a CW40, u are hearing it from the horses mouth, where as I a lowly 9mm shooter can only pass on what he has read from owners.

Someday when I grow up I will own a 40 cal!!!!
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Thanks
    The CW40 has no issues other than people buying them, and cleaning them, and then taking them out to shoot DRY.
    You need to do the pre-lube.

I have a CW40 and a CM9 and they both have been perfect guns.

Welcome. I can personally testify that the CW9 and CM9 are both very good handguns and both less than 500 dollars.