Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Xssights

Thread: Anybody loading 147 gr TC?

Default Anybody loading 147 gr TC?

Just picked up some 147 grain lead truncated cone 9mm to give them a try. Been looking at different load data and it's all over the place if you can actually find the data. Anybody using this bullet and Bullseye powder? If so, what charge did you start out with?

Thanks for any answers!
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

I have never seen Hercules/Alliant data [published for Bulseye powder with 147 gr, lead bullets. When I shot lead bullets in my 9mm I used a 147 gr. cast bullet with W-231 powder for ca. 900 fps.

Alliant has been pretty lax in cast bullet data lately for just about all loadings. Seems like they want everyone to shoot Speer bullets. I've got a Lyman book that has a 147 grain load in BE ranging from 2.8 to 3.5 grains with an OAL of 1.058". What's weird is that there are no loads for HP38/W231 in the book I have. Lee's book has the load from 3.3 to 3.5 for the W231.

I'll be loading a few test rounds tomorrow starting at 3 grains in BE then upwards to the 3.5 grain load in both the HP38/231 and the BE.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!

I'm new to the Kahr (CM9) line, I also have this bullet but want to make sure is not going to damage the barrel if I load within the loading manual recommendation. Is shooting lead not recommended out of a CM9? I hope my question is not hijacking this thread, my apologies if it does.

nyc71 - Hey, no problem. MY last post in this thread was in 2011! Hijacking threads is what we do here.

My CW9 sees nothing but lead in its hungry mouth. The CM9 does not have polygonal rifling so you should be good to go. However, as with just about every hand gun manufacture, Kahr does not "approve" of using reloads. Just be a safe reloader and don't exceed the charge weights listed in the reloading manuals.

Does it matter if I shoot nothing other than lead from the get go? Should I break it in with plated instead?Thanks.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MW surveyor View Post
    Just picked up some 147 grain lead truncated cone 9mm to give them a try. Been looking at different load data and it's all over the place if you can actually find the data. Anybody using this bullet and Bullseye powder? If so, what charge did you start out with?

Thanks for any answers!

MW:

Handloads.com lists Bullseye and 147g 9mm at 3.8 grains to start up to 4.2 grains maximum at 1.14" OAL.

HTH.

-steve

ps just saw that you were talking about a lead bullet, so probably drop the starting loads by 10%.
    -NRA Life Member

-It isn’t Islamophobia when they really ARE trying to kill you!

-Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.
    Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    -Thomas Paine

sas,

Used the data from the Lyman book starting at 3 grains up to 3.5. All worked pretty good with the lead with no problems in cycling the slide. The 147 were just picked up as a "hey, lets give this a try". Normally shoot 125 grain RNL or LTCs with 4 grains of BE. Not the hottest load but pretty accurate for me out of the CW9 at short ranges.