Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry Options For CM9

Question Carry Options For CM9

I am licensed to carry, but don't have a lot of experience doing it yet. Tell me if I am off base. To me, concealed means concealed, hence my interest in tuckable IWB holsters and J-hooks (or even Velcro fastened to the back of my belt with nothing showing at all). But it seems that most of you don't go for the tuck option, just IWB and even some OWB holsters. And clips or belt loops are more common than J-hooks. Now, I know that quite a few of you are LEOs who carry Kahrs off duty, so complete concealment is not necessarily your intention, but a comfortable and secure carry. But what about the non-LEOs? Do you count on an untucked shirt or a jacket to cover the weapon? Or do you not care if the gun can be seen?

I know that many of you have been carrying guns for years, so I want you to share your wisdom concerning the subject of concealed carry. And, of course, I value any and all wisdom from our everyday heroes, the LEOs! Let me know why my thinking seems to not be shared by many who post about the holsters that they use.
    Last edited by JFootin; 08-03-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: shorten title
    Very interesting...

I've carried a variety of weapons, a variety of ways, for 15+ years.
    Here in steaming hot Florida I've settled in on front pocket carry.
    DeSantis Super Fly or Nemisis holster - depending on the gun.

As for concealed means concealed?
    Absolutely.
    Please read your carry laws carefully.

The main thing you're going through is the same apprehension that we all went through when we started CCW'ing. What if it prints, what if it shows, etc. THE BEST thing you can do is buy a quality holster, and it sounds like you're on the right track. When I carry IWB, it's in a Crossbreed MiniTuck. If I'm wearing a golf shirt, T-shirt, etc, it's untucked. I find myself in a natural motion where I give my shirt a quick tug after bending over, etc to ensure that it's covered, but I do that without thinking anymore. I'm concerned about showing, but no longer paranoid. I wear tighter than average T-shirts and w/ a proper holster I don't print w/ my PM9.
    If I'm wearing a dress shirt, then I will often tuck it in. Typically, I wear my dress shirt a little loose so that it hangs/folds slightly over my waistline and covers the clips. But in those situations I typically pocket carry and there's nothing to worry about.
    Bottom line - I don't worry about the clips. People in public will never notice the clips unless they're deliberately looking for them, and those who actually know what they are will be pro-ccw people who are probably legally carrying themselves. I've never been spotted in nearly 10 yrs of CCW'ing.
    If you're really paranoid about it, maybe this will help... I experimented with one standard clip on the front of my holster and one hidden clip on the rear. I would cover the exposed clip w/ cell phone holster attached to my belt. It may give you an added level of comfort until you're more used to it. Me, I switched back to both standard clips. If I'm in a situation where I'm that concerned about showing, I pocket carry my P380 instead of carrying my PM9 IWB.

I wear an untucked Guy Harvey tee-shirt and cargo shorts/pants in the summer and that wardrobe works well for IWB carry.I too,use a Crossbreed holster for concealed carry,whether I`m carrying a PM9 or a Glock model 30.I was very antsy when I first started carrying but the fact of the matter is that people really aren`t all that observant.I don`t worry about the gun showing when I`m dressed as I previously stated because it isn`t going to.As far as slightly printing goes,you really don`t have anything to worry about.Most people aren`t paying you enough attention to notice and a slight shift in your shirt will eliminate printing anyway.I`m lucky in the fact that at my age I have become pretty much invisible to most folks.I have become one of the faceless people that no one ever pays any attention to.It`s a terrible way to be if a guy was trying to get laid but it`s great for concealed carry.
    In the area in which I now reside,when I`m placed in a group of four or five guys,I`m known as "the smart one".God help me.

As the about comments have stated, most of us were very aware we were carrying during the first couple weeks/months. After a while it feels odd NOT to be carrying.
    I switch between IWB with a Bianchi 100 holster and pocket carry with a Galco Pocket Protector. You may have to change some of your shirts and maybe some styles of pants, but you will find some combination that works for you. I think most of us here have a boxfull of hosters that looked good on paper, but just didn't pan out in public.
    Enjoy the experimentation.
    LaP

I have no fear of perfection... I'll never reach it.

I carry OWB mostly although I'm working my Silent Thunder IWB into the wardrobe. OWB is just more comfortable for me. I use a Mernickle leather rig that rides really high. Not much of my 1911 is below the belt, very little in fact. So high that some requested him to make a mid ride and a low ride as they couldn't draw from so high. I so far have no issue drawing and it works very well sitting all the time, doesn't interfere with armrest etc. I think sitting in a wheelchair kind of helps break things up and people don't expect a derelict in a wheel chair to be armed to the teeth with weapons of mass destruction. I of course have to wear a vest or untucked shirt but as already stated, most will never notice. In fact what gives us away are the guys that are constantly adjusting or have their hand on the gun when they run, shifting etc. A good belt and holster and don't mess with it and you'll be fine.

Dietrich, I'm sure looking forward to becoming faceless as you describe. Right now I usually feel like the pied piper with the chicks following me around all the time, tough to stay low profile with a parade every where I go.
    Kind of limits my movement some too, some places dont allow animals.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Dietrich View Post
    I`m lucky in the fact that at my age I have become pretty much invisible to most folks.I have become one of the faceless people that no one ever pays any attention to.It`s a terrible way to be if a guy was trying to get laid but it`s great for concealed carry.
    This happened to me when I had my boys. I've never really had many women problems, but lately I get more looks from grandma's than I do 20 somethings. Last summer I'm out enjoying a topless day in my Jeep. A car w/ 4 girls pulls up next to me "Hey Jeep guy..." and I'm feeling pretty good about myself. No sooner to I smile back and I hear "Oh ****, he's got a car seat in the back." Instant ego deflation.

...and pulling it back to topic... I CCW w/ my boys too. My biggest fear is that one day one of my sons gives me a hug around my waist and says "Daddy, is that your gun?" Of course the answer will be "No, that's just Daddy's phone" but I still hope it never happens around the 'wrong' people who know me but I don't want knowing that I carry or even own a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by LaP View Post
    As the about comments have stated, most of us were very aware we were carrying during the first couple weeks/months. After a while it feels odd NOT to be carrying.
    I switch between IWB with a Bianchi 100 holster and pocket carry with a Galco Pocket Protector. You may have to change some of your shirts and maybe some styles of pants, but you will find some combination that works for you. I think most of us here have a boxfull of hosters that looked good on paper, but just didn't pan out in public.
    Enjoy the experimentation
    +1 on that - LOL!

I actually dropped my pants in a public stall and my
    44 mag hit the floor and slid outside the door.
    I snapped it up as soon as is hit. But someone else in the bathroom said
    Damn Boy!

Then a few times in restaurants patrons noticed printing while I was sitting.
    And I had an uncomfortable conversation with the manager.

Generally leaning over or sitting can cause issues at times. Along the wind blowing open your shirt. That’s when I first went with fanny packs and finally to pocket carry. But that’s just my personal embarrassing experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    I've carried a variety of weapons, a variety of ways, for 15+ years.
    Here in steaming hot Florida I've settled in on front pocket carry.
    DeSantis Super Fly or Nemisis holster - depending on the gun.

As for concealed means concealed?
    Absolutely.
    Please read your carry laws carefully.
    Not that many years of experience as Barth but I myself have settled for pocket carry my PM9 here in Florida either on a "Nemesis" or a "Hidden Holster".
    Why is it that every time there is a shooting spree they want to take the guns away from the people that didn't do it? :59: