Xssights   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE Disappointed with CM9...:-(

stove pipes in small framed, modereate powered handguns can often be traced to "limp wristing". More of the small, lightweight .380 chambered pistols have been returned to the factories due to this, and returned to the owners with little explaination other than "cleaned and live fire tested-good" ... only to have the owner experience the same issue and sell/trade the gun and spread the word it was a POS.

Not saying that limp wristing is the case here, and I'm certainly not going to bat for aluminum cased ammo (definately not steel cased commie crap), but it could possibly be something to check. First, I would shoot at least a couple hundred rounds of brass.....and CCI does make "lower cost" brass ammo as well as the aluminum. If the brass works, you've found the initial culprit. If another experienced shooter can shoot the CCI aluminum with no issues, again, problem isolated. I would start with another shooter with the aluminum, then try the brass. If you still experience a problem with brass, have the other shooter give it a try.

It doesn't matter how experienced a shooter you are with full sized handguns, if you haven't had a good bit of experience with the micro pistols you can still experience problems. Most of us that jumped on the micro .380's 10+ years ago had to "adjust".

Lastly, if the brass works out, I'd bet that after 300-400 rounds of decent performance with brass, the CCI aluminum will magically work too

surv

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerP9fan View Post
    Don't forget...by far, the most common cause of stovepipes is limpwristing or not holding the gun tight enough.
    +1 Etc... I've found I need to hold any of the micros really, really, really tight compared with how I hold most other guns in order to get excellent results with everything... function and accuracy. They're a different breed.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    stove pipes in small framed, modereate powered handguns can often be traced to "limp wristing". More of the small, lightweight .380 chambered pistols have been returned to the factories due to this, and returned to the owners with little explaination other than "cleaned and live fire tested-good" ... only to have the owner experience the same issue and sell/trade the gun and spread the word it was a POS.

Not saying that limp wristing is the case here, and I'm certainly not going to bat for aluminum cased ammo (definately not steel cased commie crap), but it could possibly be something to check. First, I would shoot at least a couple hundred rounds of brass.....and CCI does make "lower cost" brass ammo as well as the aluminum. If the brass works, you've found the initial culprit. If another experienced shooter can shoot the CCI aluminum with no issues, again, problem isolated. I would start with another shooter with the aluminum, then try the brass. If you still experience a problem with brass, have the other shooter give it a try.

It doesn't matter how experienced a shooter you are with full sized handguns, if you haven't had a good bit of experience with the micro pistols you can still experience problems. Most of us that jumped on the micro .380's 10+ years ago had to "adjust".

Lastly, if the brass works out, I'd bet that after 300-400 rounds of decent performance with brass, the CCI aluminum will magically work too

surv
    I am and have taken this into consideration to a point where I am really holding the gun as tight as I can. I am not going to say that is not the case, but I feel if it where it would happen more often. I only have the issue on the 2nd or 3rd round, which led me to believe that it is something with the mag design. I have modified the followers so they do not catch on the mag release and I still had the issue. However when inspecting the followers after my last shooting, they had gouges on them to where it looked like they were still hitting the mag release. I sanded them down farther now, but have not had a chance to test it again. I plan to keep testing with different ammo and just find something that works for me and stick with it. With my luck though, it will be the $30 a box stuff.... So far I am finding out that the stub nosed ammo works fine.

Went to the range today. Shot 50 rounds of American Eagle 124gr no issues. Shot 50 rounds of CCI Blazer 124gr and had one stove pipe. Shot another 50 rounds of American Eagle 124gr no issues. For some reason, the CCi just will not run 100% so I guess I will just stay away from it. I still like this firearm and I am going to stick with it. Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

mightymouse Guest

Any good firearm should BE 100% with any quality ammo and good maintenance. I shot my cm9 left, weak, handed, that's one handed, for the first 4-500 and never had a stove pipe. I'm thinking you might have a really tight gun and things will clear up with more rounds. Keep feeding it and I bet it becomes ol' reliable real soon. I have to buy what ever is on sale and so far mine shows no preference. Keep us posted. I know I can't sleep at night when my firearms are malfunctioning.

A good EDC should be an all-aspect shooter. If you can't fire it one-handed or kind of "limp-wristed", it could easily fail you when you need it. You won't always have the time to act like you're shooting paper... nice two-handed grip and all.

When I first got my PM45, after the bevel was added to let it chamber a round from the approved locked back slide, etc., I could hold the pistol with either hand... really loose and let the muzzle rise with recoil... without any problems. After a trip to correct the trigger not resetting properly, they changed the barrel and the slide among other things and I couldn't get it to not jam with both hands and the stiffest, straightest-armed grip possible. It was kind of like "limp wristing" but no way in hell was it that. I got a new slide to replace the very lightly engraved one and then later a new frame after the pistol started destroying magazines. Then it started firing without problem with either single hand or a really loose two-handed grip. Now I'm quite happy with it because I know it will fire as long as I can pull the trigger. My other Kahrs are like that, too, though you would expect the PM45 and P380 to be less forgiving.

Oh, and my thumb never touches the slide release... the right one is covered by the left one, well away from the lever.

Sometimes... it might be "limp wristing", but I think a lot of the times something's wrong with the gun. Your EDC shouldn't be so hard to fire without jamming. In a critical situation, you might not get everything just right and have problems.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I don't recall how many rounds have been through that gun, but don't fret about the CCI until you have several hundred. My PM9 didn't like any hollow point for a few hundred rounds. I didn't consider that a problem because I understood the break in process.

I did take a good look to see just what was breaking in and when cleaning I did the following. I saw the wear points especially lube point 6 and reassembled the gun minus the recoil spring. Then I walked the slide through the recoil action inch by inch and saw how the barrel tilts from the barrel hood rubbing the slide right where it was marred up. I examined the top front of the barrel hood and saw the really sharp ridge that was cutting into the slide.

I used a metal fingernail file to smooth out the hood without over rounding that edge. Then I polished the dickens out of lube point 6 and rubbed my TW25 into it several times. I repeated the walk through again and it felt like silk - super smooth.

Encouraged by that I walked it through with a loaded mag and saw how the round pops up hitting the inside top of the chamber. I polished that next rubbing lube into it also. Same thing with the feed ramp.

Funny thing, by the time I finished all this the action was as smooth as my 1911 which is something. What I had done is what happens through the break-in process, just skipped over all those additional rounds.

Hollow points fed fine after that and FMJ stayed excellent. No more stove pipes and all was well.

I had further trouble shooting my carry ammo of choice Federal HST +P 147gn. I went through a lot with the mags on that one and the tips here should fix that also. Now it shoots whatever I want and I can shoot it from either/both hands strong or weak grip and love it.

What I did amounts to a "fluff & buff" service offered by a company whose name I forget for $300. Now that I know how I wish I could save others the ammo and aggravation of the break-in woes. Still need to put the ammo through it but you would do it with a smile having fun.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    I have never fired a gun yet that did not have its ammo preferences. Even with Glocks my 45 likes Federal (accurate) an ddoes not like Remingtion (cant hit crap)

Find out what it shoots well and use that.
    +1 on that. For whatever reason my Glock 36 (single stack .45 ACP) doesn't like WWB. Could count on at least one FTF/FTE from each box.

I personally have had no trouble with the CCI Blazer aluminum case ammo. It's cheap, it feeds properly in all my guns, and it always goes BANG. All of which makes it my range round of choice. But YMMV, of course.

Shot a 9mm HK USP that wouldn't shoot CCI aluminium worth a damn, choked on it constantly. WWB, Rem UMC, American Eagle, S&B etc. all ran fine.

Shot a 45cal Para Ord that would eat anything and everything EXCEPT Rem UMC.

Shot a Taurus PT-145 that did't skip a beat on any ammo (though I honestly don't recall shooting CCI aluminium outta it)

MrsFlyr shot a Taurus 9mm Pt-111 that didn't like S&B but ran fine on everything else....

If you shoot a pistol that works on 99.9% if ammo brands out there, don't sweat it over the 0.1% it doesn't like.

Excellent post, OldLincoln!
    Very interesting...