Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CM9 Front Night Sight Keeps Breaking Off

Quote Originally Posted by Laetus1 View Post
    I am happy to report that I mailed the slide to Kahr with a letter explaining that twice the rear post (with the screw) on the front night sight I purchased from them had broken off when firing. Just a little over a week after I mailed it to them, I received the slide with a new front night sight. I notice that they also pinned the front post in like the original sight posts. Perhaps this was the problem all along. My gunsmith had installed the first sight without pinning the front post, and I did not have the instructions when I received the second sight and installed it without pinning. Hopefully problem is now solved. And not only did Kahr do a fast job on the turnaround and fedex the slide back to me, I was not charged anything for anything. Kudos to Kahr!
    Glad you got fixed up.

Could you post a close-up pic of the front pin? I would like to see what they did.

I assume you mean they staked, or flared the post.

FYI The instructions do not indicate that is how they need to be installed.

glad I sent my CW9 slide to Kahr for the installation... the instructions make it sound so simple that I could have destroyed the whole pistol

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

I wonder if these instructions will be modified? Thanks for the follow up...

Beardog, I did follow those instructions when I installed the front night sight. I was careful to clean the post holes with acetone and letting them dry. I used red loctite which they sent with the sight. I allowed the slide to dry for 24 hours before even touching it again. I can't vouch for how the gunsmith installed it the first time, but that's the way I did it. The only thing I can think went wrong is that I didn't crank the screw in as hard as I could by hand. So, since others are not reporting this problem, I assume that must be what went wrong. Should I ever have this problem again, I will report it here. I have attached a picture of the flared/staked front post of the front night sight after I received the CM9 slide back from Kahr.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice photo Lateus1, thanks for sharing it with us. It looks like the CMs have a very good countersink for the sight posts.
    Regards,
    Greg

Greg, I am sorry that I failed to respond to your original question. Yes, the CM9 came with very nice countersink for the holes. I never saw any indication that the barrel was making any contact with the rear post screw. Again, I assume error on my gunsmith and my part since it seems not to have been a countersink issue and others are not reporting the same thing. Kahr treated me right by not charging me for this and I am more than hopeful that I'll not need to post on this particular issue again. BTW, as much as I love my HK P2000sk, it sure was a lot harder to carry concealed with the clothes I had to wear this week than my Kahr CM9!

Beardog, I did follow those instructions when I installed the front night sight. I was careful to clean the post holes with acetone and letting them dry. I used red loctite which they sent with the sight. I allowed the slide to dry for 24 hours before even touching it again. I can't vouch for how the gunsmith installed it the first time, but that's the way I did it. The only thing I can think went wrong is that I didn't crank the screw in as hard as I could by hand. So, since others are not reporting this problem, I assume that must be what went wrong. Should I ever have this problem again, I will report it here. I have attached a picture of the flared/staked front post of the front night sight after I received the CM9 slide back from Kahr.

Hmmm, I didn't receive any loctite with the two front sites I purchased for my cw/cm9's. The instructions just said to put loctite in the hole, etc., and never mentioned color. I used Blue, sure hope that wasn't a mistake. I have Red on hand but decided against it. Be awhile b4 I get to the range.

Thank's Laetus,
    I can't be totally sure but looking at your pic, I am not sure they staked your front post, as it looks (from here) just like mine. I wonder if you are just seeing the bottom of the post sticking through.
    I Dunno???Do you think yours looks different then mine? Mine is installed just like the instructions say to except I used more loctite, some on the threads, both posts, and under the sight... No staking.
    Mine.

I am just trying to clarify if they really did stake it as you have cast a good bit of concern with some of us that our new sights are going to go flying off. I have not fired mine since my install so i can't say how mine are going to behave. I think it will be fine but???
    Thank's

Beardog, your picture is much better than my quick Droid X macro shot. I didn't want to hunt down the "real" camera. At any rate, I just went back and examined mine closely, and by golly, I think you are right. I believe mine looks the same as yours and is not flared. I guess I can't remember what it used to look like and thought it had stuck out the bottom of the slide a bit more in the past. On a positive note, I imagine that I am the only one having this particular problem since no one else has corroborated it. I would think if this were a widespread problem we'd hear from others here, and Kahr would be getting flooded with complaints. Let us know how things go with yours after a few range trips. Thanks for the great picture.

Thank's for the confirmation Laetus... I feel better about my new sights again now LOL.