Tommy Gun   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about a Kahr/Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine

Sweet

There are alot of post wwII M1 carbines floating around at gunshows and the like. Universal Firearms was one that assembled and sold alot of them from surplus parts, Hileah was another. They don't run high, if all you want is a plinker.
    Last edited by Kahrdriver64; 05-08-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cynergyou View Post
    Hey All,

I'm thinking of gettting an M1 Carbine. It would be used for plinking, HD, and also perhaps for deer hunting (inside of 60 or 50 yards).

A local shop has a used a couple of used AO Carbines in stock. They have serial numbers that have an MA in it and are around 1300 and 5400 respectively.

Another local shop also has a genuine Winchester contract WWII-era M1 carbine for sale.

I have heard mixed reviews about the Kahr M1's. Most of the reviews I've seen are positive, but I have heard (and read) that some of the earlier guns had some problems. Should I take a chance and get one of the used AO carbines? would a gun with an MA5400 serial number would be considered an early production gun? Should I be concerned about quality issues with either of the AO guns?

Or should I get the old Winchester or a brand new, recent production AO carbine?

I'm less interested in getting a collector's gun. I just would like a reliable, reasonably accurate (2" at 50 yards) gun.

Thanks in advance!
    The .30 carbine would be a marginal round for deer hunting. It's better suited for use on small predators and varmints.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    And... you gotta also remember what came BEFORE the M1 Carbine... the Reising Gun! Never has the .45acp been done such injustice. Now THERE was a problem waiting to happen, and a story for another day.
    Wait a minute... The Reising isn't/wasn't a bad submachinegun. The problems arose when they were used in tropical/subtropical settings. The Reising needed to kept very clean. They shot and functioned quite well (Harrington and Richardson did a good job). The problem was in a hot and grimy area with a great deal of and and grit that fouled their actions. These subguns worked well in both Police and Nuclear Plant settings. Since they weren't being subjected to heavy soil and moisture, the Reising shot quite well and accurately too. Please get your facts straight before you bash a classic firearm. (Such maligning isn't really necessary).

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    The .30 carbine would be a marginal round for deer hunting. It's better suited for use on small predators and varmints.
    Tell this to the hundreds of deer that have been killed with Winchester HSP and other JSP ammunition at ranges of 50 and 75 yards. Shot placement is king, penetration is queen, everything else is "angels dancing on the heads of pins".