Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New MK40 Elite 03 on the Way!

Default New MK40 Elite 03 on the Way!

So...I sold my PM40 at my LGS for $400(bought it for $499 from them back in January) and also sold some jewelry that I had from old exs. I browsed GunBroker.com and found a great deal on a brand new MK40 Elite 03 with standard sights for $726.99 with shipping. My LGS wanted $785 for a regular non-elite MK40 so I passed it considering that I had to wait about the same amount of time as if I ordered one myself and I knew that I could find a better deal online.

I would've bought it if they had actually had it in their possession. It annoyed me that I had called them and asked if they had a MK40 in stock and upon getting to the store and waiting patiently for the next available person to help me, they couldn't find it! I know that stuff like this happens and that it's just a mistake. I had actually gotten them to take down my info to order me one on the following Monday if they couldn't find their mystery MK40. On the way home, I was thinking about it and figured that I should get exactly what I want this time and save some money in the process. I really wanted an Elite MK40 with XS Big Dots. I ended up calling them to cancel the order and apologize for the time spent on locating it. They understood and were ok.

So long story short, I sold my PM40 on Sunday and won an auction for a MK40 Elite 03. Got my local range to fax their FFL on Monday. Shooters of Jacksonville FL shipped my new Kahr today. I'm excited and can't wait to take it to the range. Hopefully my XS sights and spare follower comes in tomorrow so that I can get the sights installed when I pick the gun up and do the break-in. Hopefully it'll be a trouble free break-in. Wish me luck! Sorry for the repetition and possibly confusing story

Congratulations!
    I had to order mine from 2,500 miles away!
    Got it in two business days though.
    $820 with factory NS.
    BTW: I have an XS Big Dot on my S&W 342 ti 38 AND LOVE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Mits3kgt88 View Post
    Hopefully it'll be a trouble free break-in. Wish me luck!
    As for break-in? Mine ran through 200 180 grain Winchester Ranger Bonded LE HPs flawlessly.
    I'm thinking the Elite polished feed ramp from the factory is a good thing - LOL!

Thanks Barth! Your MK40 is beautiful! When I was debating on whether to get an Elite or not, I leaned towards the Elite. I think the polished and softened exterior just looks much better. Have you been able to compare the feed ramp polishing to a non elite feed ramp? I'm wondering how much more the ramp is polished. I did have some issues with my PM40 but of course I fixed it before I sold it except for one issue: broken mg followers. I've read about the ramp jobs but didn't feel comfortable doing it and didn't want to put more money into it since I was already thinking about selling. Other issues were failure to extracts and failure to return to full battery. I switched to mil-comm TW-25b grease for the slide rails and barrel and also installed a 20.5 lb Wolff recoil spring. All of the issues went away except the breaking mag followers issue. I decided to buy a brand new Kahr this time so that I actually have a virgin with a warranty(minus the test firing). I've read that the all steel Kahrs are less prone to problems. I don't think that the extra 8 oz would really make much of a difference in carrying. I normally pocket carry in the summer in a Desantis Superfly and IWB in the other three seasons in a CrossBreed MiniTuck.

You broke it in using only Ranger HPs? That would definitely prove reliability! I would like to buy a case or so of Federal HSTs one day in case SHTF and just to have. I'd like to buy a box or so or DoubleTap ammo with the all copper Barnes bullets for my MK40 and P380.

And that's awesome that you got yours in two days from 2500 miles away. I wish the people I had bought from were a bit faster but I'm just impatient when waiting for something that I really want and look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mits3kgt88 View Post
    Have you been able to compare the feed ramp polishing to a non elite feed ramp? I'm wondering how much more the ramp is polished. I've read that the all steel Kahrs are less prone to problems. I don't think that the extra 8 oz would really make much of a difference in carrying. I normally pocket carry in the summer in a Desantis Superfly and IWB in the other three seasons in a CrossBreed MiniTuck.

You broke it in using only Ranger HPs? That would definitely prove reliability! I would like to buy a case or so of Federal HSTs one day in case SHTF and just to have. I'd like to buy a box or so or DoubleTap ammo with the all copper Barnes bullets for my MK40 and P380.
    Haven’t compared feed ramps.
    But the flawless HP break-in kind of speaks for itself.
    The Elite models also have beveled mag wells.
    And other parts seem to get a rounded/melted treatment.
    I think of it like getting a finishing touch from a custom shop.

Federal HST and Winchester Ranger T-Series are great.
    I personally use Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel.

Tried 135/155/165/180 grain bullets.
    Mine feeds anything. But favors 180 grain bullets for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    As for break-in? Mine ran through 200 180 grain Winchester Ranger Bonded LE HPs flawlessly.
    I'm thinking the Elite polished feed ramp from the factory is a good thing - LOL!
    I'm thinking that is awesome!

My PM40 does not like that 180 grain Winchester JHP round and chokes on it frequently. I am sticking with 135 grain rounds from the same ammo series, which are 100% reliable in that gun, for the moment.

Congratulations on the great results!
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    I'm thinking that is awesome!

My PM40 does not like that 180 grain Winchester JHP round and chokes on it frequently. I am sticking with 135 grain rounds from the same ammo series, which are 100% reliable in that gun, for the moment.

Congratulations on the great results!
    Yup Yup.
    Couldn’t be happier with the gun.
    It’s like my little stainless micro 1911.
    I love it.
    Have fired nothing but Winchester and Speer HPs.
    Winchester Ranger Bonded and T-Series, Speer Duty and their Big Mouth Bass Short Barrel without a single failure.

Yeah, the price difference between the MK40 and MK40 Elite was only $62 on GunBroker. I figured that, like Barth said, it's like getting a customized MK40 for only $62 more. I love the looks and especially the laser engraving. The roll stamping on my P380 and old PM40 looked kind of sloppy but I'm not too picky so it didn't bother me too much. I plan on carrying my MK40 with Hornady's 155 grain XTP until I get some DoubleTap 125 grain Barnes TAC-XP.