Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wynn's Mag-Na-Ported P40 BLOG updated

Well, I'm back and still pumped up. Had to go by Lowe's and get some smaller O-rings... the ones I had were too loose and fat... no comments.

The factory .40 mags were great. The Blazer 165-grain FMJ was fine and I had a lot of fun. I shot 3 boxes of Blazers and most of one of MFS and 3 magazines of 165-grain Gold Dots through my one 6-round metal base-plated magazine with 6+1 loaded for function testing with carry ammo... perfect. This baby is ready for CCW... the 9mm mags not so much. The 1/8" thick O-rings were too big, causing pressure to pop the mags out... did several times causing FTF... slide lock backs as the magazines slipped down. One follower had the front part of the skirt break off... weak, I guess, and filing/sanding a bit on the metal actuator pins maybe didn't help it, either.

I'll post some pix of targets... had some good ones... and flashes of the Blazers... later, though, got to order and go pick up pizza for supper.

A very good day, though, and I was really feeling good when I left the range... got to punch the accelerator a few good times on my van and was playing my 60/70's music... "Horse With No Name" blaring as I was entering traffic under full V8 acceleration... Yee Haa!

I had better get going. More later.

Wynn S.E.G.!
    Last edited by wyntrout; 09-28-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Here's the link to the Album of today's testing... flashes and targets and other stuff. Pix of my Looper Kydex-Reinforced gun belt from Kahr Shop... $49.95. Pix of magazines and O-rings, etc. Haven't uploaded the pix of the Gold Dot flashes. Already have some of those.

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/...ain%20Blazers/

Let me post this before I wipe it out AGAIN!

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Okay. Now a few pictures of the Blazer ammo firing. I got the rightmost lane at the range where it's darker. I also get bombarded by the brass from my neighbor to the left.

Next an early target. On the left targets I tried double taps... kind of close together, but was my best attempt at that.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

I shot three mags full in the next three pictures, one on each target.

Better:

2nd mag's group circled, then mag 3:

I rang the target out to 15 yards and sprinkled the letter sized sheet a bit... all but 2 on the sheet... good for me.

This pistol is really accurate... more than I. Many times I would start with one round at the intersection of the vertical and horizontal lines... dead center, sprinkle around, then put another on top of the first round.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

I took the O-ring off my CCW magazine... 6-rounder with metal base plate... then loaded 6+1 three times for reliability with my chosen defense ammo Speer 165-gr Gold Dots. I can sure tell when I switch to those... more thump!

Magazine#6 three refills:

I feel confident that I can hit the bad guy COM a few times, if Murphy doesn't "help" too much.

This pistol is ready for CCW. The only problems I had could be attributed to the FAT O-rings that didn't allow the magazines using them to seat well. Those were the 9mm "conversions" to .40S&W and the 6-round metal-based .40 that I put an O-ring on.
    The latter was flawless without the O-ring.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

I got this Kydex-reinforced Looper gun belt from Kahr Shop:

Showing the belt buckle... appears to be brass... and the holes.

I hope the belt will help me CCW with more stability than my cheapie belts.

Pix of the 9mm mags with O-rings. The smaller ones are 3/32" and 3/4" inner diameter, so should fit tighter and not be too big. I got the smaller ones on the way back home:

And the broken follower... front skirt separated:

I had a lot of fun, and the 9mm mags having problems didn't detract from the pleasure I got pulling the trigger and punching holes in the targets!

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Rounds expended:

150 Blazer Aluminum-cased 165-gr FMJ
    38 MFS/Fiocchi 180-gr FMJ
    21 Speer 165-gr Gold Dots
    209 rounds + previous ~680= ~889 Total.

I actually brought 12 MFS and 8 GDs back home.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Dayum, Wynn! That is a great picture of a fire breathing fotay! Thanks for sharing.

You almost make me want to send something to Mag-na-port.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

I guess I ought to start spelling it correctly... Mag-Na-Port... ing.

Semi-Automatic Pistols (through slide and barrel)$140.00
    Dang!

I haven't looked there in a while. I never had any guns done. That was one of the attractions of this one... and less weight than the K40 I was considering.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Semi-Automatic Pistols (through slide and barrel)$140.00
    Dang!
    Yep! Even without the shipping both ways, that's a nice chunk of change for this chump.

Hey, a guy's gotta dream.

You made a very nice snag with this pistol. Congratulations!
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland