Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Dry Firing

Question Dry Firing

Ok...so is it any problem to dry fire a CW9? My wife needs to practice pulling the trigger without flinching, but I don't know if I should be condoning dry firing? What do you people think?

Make your life easy and spend the $10 for snap caps for her. That way she can practice loading/chambering, etc.

Default Also

A Conceal Carry Handgun Must Meet a Minimum of Four Conditions:
    1) It must be utterly reliable.
    2) It should be compact enough to be carried concealed for long periods of time.
    3) It should have a very simple operating drill.
    4) It should fire a cartridge of sufficient power.

Ok...sorry that I didn't make the question crystal clear. I know about the snap cap thing, and I don't have any problems with it, but I guess my real question is whether dry firing will actually harm the pistol. The manual has you dry fire when disassembling, so does that mean that they condone the practice? I just need to know if it will physically damage the pistol. I will be getting some snap caps, but it's kind of hard for me to keep the mrs. from playing with it, and ultimately dry firing it.

if you will search the Kahr website.... easy way is to go to the "site map" and look for the title "Questions and Answers", you might like the answer you find:

Kahr Arms / Q & A

I have dry fired my CW9 about as much as I have fired live ammo, and I don't worry about snap caps. I have had, and still do have handguns that should never be dry fired without the proper "buffer" under the firing pin/striker, but beileve what I read on the official Kahr website to be true. Dry firing has halped me immensly to develop the muscle memory I need for the CW9, and I believe has helped the trigger as well.

Still your call

surv

Thanks so much, surv...they make those things pretty hard to find don't they? I didn't think that there would be a problem with dry firing it, but I honestly trust the opinions here more than I trust what's on the company web site. Thanks again...I appreciate it.

I tend to trust the companies websites information, as well as direct assurance from the tech's at the manufacturers for serious answers. As long as the information has been passed directly from the mothership, I tend to accept it.

When it comes to "dry firing", I do tend to want to hear directly from the manufacturer, either directly on the phone, or through written notice.

Don't take my word for the dry fire issue of the Kahr pistols, as I am definately not the expert. The printed words from the Q&A on the official website are good enough for me though.

surv

Default 10-4

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I tend to trust the companies websites information, as well as direct assurance from the tech's at the manufacturers for serious answers. As long as the information has been passed directly from the mothership, I tend to accept it.

When it comes to "dry firing", I do tend to want to hear directly from the manufacturer, either directly on the phone, or through written notice.

Don't take my word for the dry fire issue of the Kahr pistols, as I am definately not the expert. The printed words from the Q&A on the official website are good enough for me though.

surv
    on that comment, If in doubt a phone call away to get the correct answer. I kinda like kahrs Q & A section. It does answer alot of questions..... I have aske dthem to even consider putting those Q & A section in thier owners manuals.

All excellent points, and thank you again for the replies. I am going to do my best to limit the wife's dry firing, as best I can anyway. I put a ss guide rod in it last week...looks nice. Went to the range last weekend, and the wife put 100 more rounds through it, and it functioned flawlessly. I might have to carry this one every now and then....

The only reason I've used snap caps at al on any pistol, is to simulate and failure to fire.

You may not want to, but I dry fire all my weapons. Alot.