Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Rubber Talon Grips for PM9/CM9

Default Review: Rubber Talon Grips for PM9/CM9

Talon Grips with Rubber Texture can be purchased for the Kahr CM9, PM9, PM40, CW9, CW40, P9, and P40 here.

I recently purchased a Kahr CM9 and was in search for a different grip option because the front and back straps' texture was too aggressive for my liking, and in my opinion the rest of the grip in between was lacking in texture. While doing research I opted to use the "tried and true" bicycle inner tube to hold me over, and while it provided an excellent improvement I found that for pocket carry the soft rubber was a little too tacky and sticky. There are a few slip on rubber grips available on the market, but before trying another one of those I opted for something I've never tried before, the Talon Grips with rubber texture.

Talon Grips has made a name over the years by offering a stick on grip with a sand paper or "granulate" texture to it, kind of like skateboard tape. I have used them in the past on my Glocks and although they offer the most secure grip texture of anything else i've ever tried, I found they were way too aggressive for concealed carry. I knew they would definitely not work for pocket carry on the CM9 either. That's when I found out they recently released all of their products in a rubberized version to appeal to concealed carriers.

Since they are only $11 shipped I placed an order and got a shipment confirmation the very next morning, and the grips arrived yesterday with the mail. Installation is very easy and included a set of directions that do a good job of explaining the process if it is your first time. After I was done with the installation I knew almost immediately that this was exactly what I was looking for. The rubber is not overly soft or "squishy" to the touch and you can still feel the actual texture they've added. It is also not sticky or tacky like the bicycle inner tube grip was, in fact it almost feels like a very soft plastic as opposed to rubber. The texture does such a good job of "grabbing" your skin that with a good grip on the gun it feels like a combination between a custom stipple job and a very thin rubber insert in the frame. There is hardly any added girth, and the pattern of the grip matches the outline of the stock textured portion which makes them look like they belong on the gun. In fact, with exception of the barely noticeable seam on the left side you might confuse them as the stock grip unless you know better. You can tell just by looking at it that this is a quality product and will last a long time. The edges don't seem like they will peel up or slip around and the finished product allows the gun to maintain a very professional looking appearance.

Today I shot 200 rounds using the grips, and they definitely improve the purchase of the weapon and give a nice solid and stable grip and help with control of the recoil on such a small gun. Over all I am very happy and can say with confidence that these grips will stay on my CM9.

Click on images to enlarge.

Last edited by JBarbaresi; 09-25-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Nice target! Thanks for posting the thoughtful review with excellent pictures.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Nice review and +1 on the excellent photos!
    Regards,
    Greg

Nice review and super pictures... target group is super, too, though not a good "CCW" group. You need to sprinkle the hits around the bullseye more.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Nice pics! I don't like those gaps on each side near the back of the grip. Yuck! I wonder why they did that?
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    Nice pics! I don't like those gaps on each side near the back of the grip. Yuck! I wonder why they did that?
    i'd have to guess it's probably to make it easier to countour the grip around the handle without bunching and folding.

thanks guys, when i was trying to research the new rubber talon grips i realized there are no good pictures on the internet except for the ones on the manufacturer's website. i thought some good pictures might be helpful to anyone else wondering about ordering the grips.

@ wyntrout, a majority of my shooting is sd focused but i also do a bit of grouping with every range session to maintain good fundamentals. i know you were probably just kidding or whatever but you brought up a good point about practicing for quick presentations and accurate delivery.

That's good. Yeah, just yanking your chain a bit. The tight groups are all some seem to think about. I focus on the front sight(rear blurred)... can't see both... then get alignment on the target... and then try to maintain that sight alignment while focusing on the target... pointing, really. I try not to focus on the sights so much, but if I see the bullet hit, I can move over and sprinkle the bullseye, or around it, more.

I'm too impatient to take much time with each shot... and I sure won't be able to do that in self defense. Again, I'm sure not knocking your shooting!

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    That's good. Yeah, just yanking your chain a bit. The tight groups are all some seem to think about. Wynn
    couldn't agree more. i usually shoot 100 or 200 rounds each weekend. maybe 50 of those are dedicated to grouping accuracy at 7 to 15 yards. i rarely shoot any further than that with handguns because i don't see the point. the bulk of my shooting is done around 3-5 yards presenting from concealment, practicing point shooting and quick center of mass hits. i didn't even use a paper target with my first 400 or 500 rounds through the cm9 because i was more focused on learning the gun than being accurate with it.

i am also blessed with the luxury of being able to shoot in my backyard and can do pretty much whatever i want, not bound by stupid range restrictions that might prohibit others from doing more than shooting holes into bullseye style targets. been there before, its sucks to have to shoot in range with a million rules.

That's terrific! I'm so envious of guys like you and Hickok45! I could reload and save money, too! Right now I can buy factory new ammo cheaper than the "factory reloads" I see at the gun shows... and leave the brass on the range floor.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    That's terrific! I'm so envious of guys like you and Hickok45! I could reload and save money, too! Right now I can buy factory new ammo cheaper than the "factory reloads" I see at the gun shows... and leave the brass on the range floor.

Wynn
    well i definitely don't belong in the same category as hickok45 but i'm also still only shooting new factory ammunition. i have to buy in bulk from places like ammoman, and i agree with your statement that it's not much more to buy new factory ammo than to reload right now.