CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: PJ Holster Kydex IWB and Pocket Carry

Default Review: PJ Holster Kydex IWB and Pocket Carry

For more information on PJ Holster or to place an order you can visit the website here or email Paul at pjholster@gmail.com.

The title on the website's homepage pretty much sums it up-"Simple, practical, affordable kydex holsters." When I purchased my Kahr CM9 just a few weeks ago I was looking for a small, lightweight, thin, easily concealable self defense handgun that could fill the reliability role of my Glocks but also go places the larger framed pistols could not. The last thing I wanted when considering holster and carry options was bulk, defeating the purpose for which the CM9 was intended. After searching around on this and other forums I found out about a company called PJ Holster, and after reading all the positive reviews and seeing pictures of his holsters, I thought they fit the bill.

After confirming he would be able to make something for the CM9, I placed an order for an IWB with J-hook belt attachment as well as two magazine pouches for my Glock. The holster was $40 and the two magazine pouches were $25 combined, shipping costs included in the price. It only took 2 days from the time I placed the order until the time everything shipped out, and that was during Labor Day weekend. Just a few days later these arrived.

Initially I was very impressed with the quality and simplicity of the design, and was very delighted at how thin and light this holster actually was. It literally added almost no thickness on top of the gun's width and dissapeared into the waistline. The fit and retention were perfect and required very litttle break in, if any. The mag pouches were equally simple and provided excellent fit. For the prices of both, it would be hard pressed to find a better deal out there for a quality kydex holster.

After a couple days of wear, I realized that I didn't necessarily care for the J-hook belt attachment because it placed most of the weight of the gun on my pants instead of on the belt. Even with a light gun like the CM9 I found this to be slightly annoying. It was not a flaw in the holster, but rather in my decision to go with that particular method of attachment. After emailing Paul he assured me that it would be no problem to remold the J-hook into a clip on style attachment for me, at no extra cost. He was also able to "tweak" the ride height and cant angle to better fit my preferences. So off the holster went back to PJ Holster for some slight modification, and what should have been a 2 day delivery time turned into an 8 day delivery time thanks to USPS. I was certain they had lost the package, but I must commend Paul on his patience with me and keeping me informed throughout the process. During the wait, I also decided to place an order for one of his front pocket holsters.

To my delight and surprise, the same day the holster was finally delivered back to Paul he "fixed" the clip and mailed it back the very next day along with the pocket holster. Again, a few days later they arrived (pictures in next post). There were no surprises with the IWB holster, since I already had a chance to play around with that previously. I used a hair dryer to CAREFULLY put some curve on the clip so it would better contour my size 30 inch waist. Now the customized fit and comfort level of the holster is absolutely impeccable. The only problem was I didn't have the skill to reshape the bottom of the clip like Paul does, so I had to improvise a little. I am pretty happy with the results, security on the belt is not compromised and my end design also helps with easy on and off attachment. Enough said about the IWB holster, it is simply great.

I have found that my favorite method of carry with the CM9 is in the pocket when my wardrobe allows it. The simple and thin design of the front pocket holster from PJ Holster makes pocket carry comfortable and fully concealable. Retention is light, as it should be with a pocket holster, but still tight enough to keep the gun from moving around in the holster until presentation is necessary. Unlike with some of the nylon pocket holsters I've tried, I don't feel like I'm walking around with a small pillow in my pocket. Just like with the IWB, the extremely thin design of the kydex adds zero thickness and bulk to the width of the gun itself. The holster "hook" catches every time and allows for a very quick, , precise, and smooth presentation from deep concealment. During a 300 round shooting session yesterday I had a great time practicing self defensive shooting drills using the pocket holster for a majority of those rounds, it is very nicely designed and fun to use. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for a nice pocket holster, and it's only $35 so do it right the first time and get something that works and will last a long time.

Obviously if you can't tell by now I am very pleased with my purchases from PJ Holster. If you are like me and looking for a great holster at a great price, definitely give them a hard look. I feel compelled to also mention that as great as the holsters and magazine pouches are, I was even more floored with Paul's personal customer service and desire to go the extra mile for the sake of his customers. In my experience he will do his absolute best to make your holster exactly the way you want it and make sure that in the end you are completely satisfied. If you have a special request, just shoot him an email and expect a very prompt, honest response.

I look forward to hearing feedback from everyone else who is pleased with their PJ Holster products. Thanks again Paul for the great products and contributions to the gun loving world!

When time permits I plan on taking and posting a few pictures showing both holsters in use.

IWB

zero bulk!

Pocket Holster, so simple and thin. I love this thing.

Great writeup, but I'm having trouble believing it wasn't written by a professional marketing guy... Never met a Ranger that could string that many words together coherently, unless it was a profanity-laced tirade.

You've got a 30" waist? Freak.

I will agree that Pauls work is first class. I ordered the OWB hi-ride for my PM9 and had it within a week after placing the order. For me it is a perfect holster. I will be ordering more. Great product at a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky44 View Post
    Never met a Ranger that could string that many words together coherently, unless it was a profanity-laced tirade.
    i had to do quite a bit of editing to make the post "family friendly", the review was originally about 3 times as long

A+ is my rating for Paul and his holsters! I ordered mine exactly like yours, except left handed and with the shirt tucking option. Also, my conclusion concerning the J-hook is the same. But I decided to convert it to Velcro attachment, cutting the curved portion of the J-hook off and leaving a flat panel with a Velcro hook patch on it, and a 4" wide strip of Velcro loop on the inside of the belt where I wear it. I found some 3/4" wide Velcro at Walmart. I wanted black, but all they had was white. I took it, though, because it would have cost me twice as much to order some in black with shipping. When I am wearing it, the Velcro doesn't show, so I can live with white. It keeps the holster stuck to the belt well, and allows me to adjust the cant somewhat.

I sent the holster back to Paul once because it was way too tight. I'd give myself a wedgy trying to draw the gun, but to no avail! I would have to take it off and wrestle with it to extract my gun. I tried backing out the tension adjustment screw, but it would come unscrewed way before loosening the holster enough. (I advised Paul that those adjustment screws need to be longer.) At any rate, he reheated it and got it loosened up enough.

I should have asked him to reshape my hook like he did yours, but I hadn't reached that conclusion at that point. I think I will end up getting another one from him, without the tuck option (which I don't think I will use very much) and with the over-the-belt hook like your modified one, with the finger recess that makes it easy to pull it out when putting the holster on or taking it off. Just another $35. That won't break me.

I also intend to get one of those Blade-Tech Kydex reinforced leather gun belts - the Looper. I have a thick 1 1/2" Amish made leather belt. But no matter how thick it is, unreinforced leather stretches and gives way when trying to keep a holster and gun up tight against your body. I like the Looper because it is real leather on the outside and is not too thick, but it is backed by Kydex that will never allow the belt to stretch or deform. Plus, the price is about half what other reinforced gun belts cost, and many of them are 1/4" thick because of a reinforcing layer between two fairly thick layers of leather—overkill in my opinion, and too thick.

Sorry, no pics. My white Velcro mod isn't pretty, anyway.

+1 on the 30" waist! Freak! After 6 months of dieting, mine is still 43"! :32:
    Very interesting...

I have posted this other places, but it is worth repeating here. My PJ holster is the only holster I have ever tried that literally goes weightless when I wear it! After wearing it for hours, there is no discomfort, and in fact I have to reach down there and feel behind my hip to assure myself that the gun and holster are still there! Whether sitting, or standing or walking, there is no sensation of the mass or weight of a gun being there. Maybe it has somewhat to do with it being behind the belt, but also I think the thinness and compactness of this holster have something to do with it, too.

This is a holster that is perfectly comfortable for all day carry. I tried another (unnamed) IWB holster of high reputation, and found it to be well made, but much thicker, much heavier, much longer and much stiffer than the PJ. Also, the shape of the sweat shield dug into my love handle and became uncomfortable in short order. A holster that, BTW, costs more than twice as much as the PJ. Just saying, you won't go wrong investing $35 in a PJ!
    Very interesting...

Sounds like a good person with which to do business.

I also prefer the regular belt clip over the "J" hook but then again I've never tucked.

Personally I don't favor sweat shields as I want my thumb in grip position on the gun as I start my draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    Sounds like a good person with which to do business.

I also prefer the regular belt clip over the "J" hook but then again I've never tucked.

Personally I don't favor sweat shields as I want my thumb in grip position on the gun as I start my draw.
    i am also big on being able to get a proper purchase during the draw without having to shift around grip. the sweat shield on my IWB doesnt interfere with the thumb at all. however, if you dont want a sweat shield Paul will make it for you that way.

I couldn't be more impressed with Paul's work and communication. I ordered an IWB for my PM9 with belt clip, it showed up in 3 days, and I've been wearing it all day. You cannot go wrong with these holsters for 35-40 bucks. I tightened up the tension alittle with a few rotations of the screw and a hairdryer on the trigger guard area. Snaps in and out perfectly now.

If you want a "rig" get a MTAC or CBMT, but if you're looking for a simple, light, no frills kydex holster look no further.