Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Crimsontrace

Thread: Old Ammo

Default Old Ammo

Just (re) discovered20 year old military Ammo storage box with a a few ammo boxes each of good quality ( Federal/Remington) .357,.38, .22LR, .45 ball. Box was sealed and kept in cooler basement for all of the twenty years involved.
    Given the price of Ammo these days, I'd love to use it.
    What's the consensus on using it for range practice ?

I'd use it without reservation. I'd look it over as I load but long as it's not all white or corroded and nasty I'd shoot it. I don't rapid fire any that is questionable. In fact I shoot that real slow.

People bring all kinds of old ammo stuff into the department they don't know what to do with. Anything I know for certain is a factory load from a reputable manufacturer gets disposed of down one of my barrels. If it's dept caliber stuff, namely 45 or 223 and clean it gets used for practice.

If any of it is reloads your uncertain of that I would pull the bullets and start over, unless they are your reloads and your confident they are safe.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That stuff should be great. I have ammo that I bought in the 80's like that and it's like new. As long as it's not corroded and the boxes haven't fallen apart from water damage, it should be fine. I store my ammo that way and throw in a few of those beanbag-sized desiccant packs to hold down moisture accumulation.

Every once in a while, you see where "they" have found a warehouse full of military 9mm, or other stuff, from the 60's or 70's. It's for sale cheap and the same cautions apply. Just remember that it depends on how it was stored... extremes of weather can cause deterioration of the powder and some variation between rounds, AND it may be NATO-type stuff... really +P... for military... machine guns and the like. BUT, if it goes bang at the range... cheap range ammo, IF your pistol can handle it safely.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'd use it without reservation. I'd look it over as I load but long as it's not all white or corroded and nasty I'd shoot it. I don't rapid fire any that is questionable. In fact I shoot that real slow.

People bring all kinds of old ammo stuff into the department they don't know what to do with. Anything I know for certain is a factory load from a reputable manufacturer gets disposed of down one of my barrels. If it's dept caliber stuff, namely 45 or 223 and clean it gets used for practice.

If any of it is reloads your uncertain of that I would pull the bullets and start over, unless they are your reloads and your confident they are safe.
    Thanks. I pretty much decided not to use the reloads even though they
    are quality department bought target wadcutters (mostly) .38. Besides most of the ranges won't allow them indoors. Last time I bought personal
    ammo was 1984. Uncle Sam and local PD provided the rest until I retired.
    Why the heck is it so damn expensive now? Gold casings, diamond bullets,
    fairy dust lube ?

OBAMA!
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I've got some WWII era 45acp around and some older 30-06 - both military issue. I've got some CORDITE 303Brit here too. And there's some .244 Remington I've got. Its all old stuff.

The "danger" is excess and prolonged heat during its storage, combined with residual moisture in the cases - even getting through the primer pocket (hence sealed primers).

If you have ammo thats been, say, in an attic in Florida... for 20 years, its not dangerous to shoot, just might not shoot well, or at all. The powder breaks down... self contaminates and becomes pretty well useless.

If your ammo was rather cool, dry... there is no expiration date.

Shoot all the factory stuff

You shouldn't use it!!! Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you.
    An armed society is a polite society.

I agree that disposal is in order... but at a leisurely pace... whenever you feel lkie some target practice.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and