Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need taller front sight

Default Need taller front sight

My P9 is incredibly accurate, but I'm always 6 inches high. I dot my i, aim at 6 o'clock, and all my shots are high.

I can't find a taller front sight on the kahr website, is it available or should I be looking at other manufacturers?

What rounds are you shooting. Light weight bullets tend to shoot higher.
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

Welcome to KahrTalk!

Please don't be offended by my asking but have you shot the pistol bench rested? Maybe have another shooter at least as good as you shoot the gun? Maybe bury half the dot as part of your sight picture.

New to Kahrs myself so can't help with finding you a taller front sight.

Half the dot isn't a bad idea. I"m shooting 124 gr fmj. I have to put the top of the front sight beneath my target at 15 and 25 yds to hit it dead on.

It's just the opposite for me. Mine shoots 3-4" low from same distance with the same loads (124 fmj). Good groupings, I just can't fully dot the i. I guess it's all about learning how to shoot your gun.

I think a little high is better than low. It''s nice to see what you're shooting at. I've had to fix a few guns that shot too darned low... my S&W 645 shot about 9" low at 15 or 25 yards... don't remember, but it had a ramp front sight, pinned from the side. I removed the sight and filed down the sight and the base... almost too low, but I drilled a new pin hole in what was left of the ramp and re-installed the sight to shoot almost perfect vertically. The rear sight is adjustable for windage. I used some epoxy to stop any looseness and soften sharp edges.

The other was my Springfield Champion with mismatched sights, shooting about 4" low at SEVEN yards. It had XS-type night sights with the standard front sight, but they weren't for that gun and NOT matched. I wound up sending the slide to Novak and had them install their elevation-adjustable night sights... not cheap, but I did get a 10% discount for military on the parts and they shot high a bit, too, but a couple of adjustments and they were right on.

It may be that you have the wrong front sight, or the rear, or even both... stuff happens and it wouldn't be the first time.

Talk to Kahr.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I've been pretty consistently low with my MK9 using Winchester 115g FMJ. I really have to try hard to bring it up - it's rare that I am high even despite trying. We each *do* need to learn to how shoot our own guns. I'm still working on it.
    "Measure twice, cut once. Think twice, speak once."

I would rather mine shoot higher than lower as well. It seems all of mine are off a little and shoot differently. I've learned to compensate, but a correction with the sights would be nice. I'm still trying to figure out if different ammo will make a difference.

G19 / P9 / P380 / Det. Sp. / SAA .45 / H&R .22

Well, I'm sending it back to Kahr. I was hoping that they could send me a different front or rear sight since it is just height. Plus is that they are picking up the shipping.

I've always wondered how Elmer Keith could make those 100 yards & more shots with his .44's.
    He could not use his sights in the conventional way.