Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun

Thread: MK40 Fails to fire - Slide will not remove

Default MK40 Fails to fire - Slide will not remove

Just today, went through 50 rounds of Winchester 40 S&W 165 GR. Full Metal Jacket with no issues. Took a break for lunch and then shot 5 rounds. On the next clip... the firearm failed to fire. I was able to pull back on the slide and eject the round. Next round failed to fire. After ejecting the round and trying different clips to see if the clip was an issue, the results were all the same. Sounded like the Striker released with a little "ping" and no fire. I then tried to disassemble the Slide from the frame. After removing the Striker Release Lever and pulling the trigger... I was unable to release the Slide from the Frame. Whatever is causing the blockage seems to have spring tension. What should I do?

Sounds like the striker is not cocking. Not a mechanism I'd want to play around with if the problem wasn't glaring out at me....back to Kahr
    -The Destroyer Approaches
    eyes to the south

Mike

PM sent..

Well... I had to do a complete tear-down... took the handles off to get the slide released... then took the slide apart to find a bit of debris and brass mix. The striker was not going in full strike position. I think I applied too much gun oil and fouled the slide striker.

I'm not sure I understand how some debris would stop the striker cam from working??? I was thinking trigger bar problem...hmmm, but I'm glad you solved the problem. How did you cycle the cam through the grip...just curious?

mitch1 Guest

Same exact thing happened to my MK9. It's the trigger bar.

Well... I'm not sure... I took the handles off and jiggled the trigger bar and the slide came off. After spraying down the frame there was a sizeable casing chip on the newspaper I lay on the table. And when I clean the slide… I spray and everything drips into a small plastic bowl and it looks like I’m panning for Gold with all the flakes of gold from the cartridge cases.

One more item… the trigger did not pull correctly… not sure how to describe it… it didn’t pull hard and made a little “plink” sound at the end of the pull. After cleaning… trigger pull is as it was before the failure.

sounds like you got it fixed, have you shot it yet. The striker channel indeed can get clogged, especially if one oils it. Use that little hole in the bottom of the slide from now on to clean that striker channel Just insert your spray can nozzle in tha thole and spray away.It will clean that channel perfectly, Do it every time youclean the gun andyou will always ahve a clean striker channel.

I thought the issue when the Kahr firearm failed to fire was due to excess oil in the Striker port. Well after a complete cleaning… I test fired the Kahr MK40 and only had (2) rounds successfully fire. After taking off the handle, since the slide would not release (it seems with the Cocking Cam in cocked position, the slide will not move forward) and after releasing the Cocking Cam and removing the slide I could see the fault. The (12) Trigger Bar is broken right at the point where the (13) Trigger Bar Spring is attached.