CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US Concealed Carry Assoc./ ACLDN

Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post

Does anyone have any thoughts on USCCA and has anyone used the "Shield" in defense of a case? (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/)

I've also seen the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc. (http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/) and I'm looking for feedback for them as well.

Thanks

I have had a USCCA membership for several years. In my opinion the best part is the magazine which is quite good. The rest, I reserve judgement... My wife and I are members of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. I highly recommend them. They are not flashy, no hype, (unlike USCCA), they are just an association of folks with a common interest in responsible use of firearms and the defense of members who have had to make the decision to use deadly force. They are 2 different organizations with different missions, but if I were forced to choose one or the other, I would go with the ACLD as the most valuable.

I just visited the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network and am impressed by their program. They have a PDF booklet called "What Every Gun Owner Needs to Know About Self-Defense Law" that is a good start especially for those who haven't considered such.

I also was impressed that their annual membership for a single is $85/yr. What I don't know is if they have enough membership to sustain the program and their cash reserves. I'd hate to pay in for several years and not have them around if I needed them.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    .....A "clean shoot" and you might not even need a lawyer (I didn't need one but got one anyway); a not so clean shoot could cost you everything you own. ......
    Bill K, care to share any details? Details on the situation, the cost of defense, etc.? I can imagine that even if/when found not guilty it would still be tens of thousands of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    I just visited the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network and am impressed by their program. They have a PDF booklet called "What Every Gun Owner Needs to Know About Self-Defense Law" that is a good start especially for those who haven't considered such.

I also was impressed that their annual membership for a single is $85/yr. What I don't know is if they have enough membership to sustain the program and their cash reserves. I'd hate to pay in for several years and not have them around if I needed them.
    I joined ACLDN earlier this year. From what I remember from the newsletters, they currently have about $125,000 in their defense fund...so it should be more than sufficient for the low rate of member shootings needing defense. In fact, I believe I remember hearing that they just recently had their first "claim" on the defense fund.

I would recommend this program. They aren't "insurance", they are a mutual aid society, at least in my view. They also seem to be able to get expert witnesses like Massad Ayoob to strategize and testify. The newletters bear this out, but I'm not sure non-members can read them.

One of their primary missions is education of their membership on the issues, legalities, etc. involved in a self-defense shooting. Good stuff.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I love my COUNTRY...but I don't trust my GOVERNMENT.

I just checked this week with a criminal defense attorney to keep on retainer in case I am abused by the system if I am forced to defend myself. That's one of the suggestions of the USCCA, that you already have an attorney on retainer. The one suggested by a friend that deals with the courts a lot, wanted $2,500.00 a year. Granted he was one of the best in the business, but I think I'm going to keep looking for shark that's not quite that hungry.

As for $125,000 in a legal defense fund, 2 or 3 cases could eat that up in a hurry.

My level of USCCA self defense shield offers $50,000 for a criminal case attorney, $100,000 for a civil case (They provide the attorney in civil matters), with additional money available on a case by case basis.
    As of last June the USCCA had over 15,000 members.

Thanks for posting that link Old Lincoln. That should be required reading for anyone owning a gun for self defense. "What Every Gun Owner Needs to Know About Self-Defense Law"

I ended up with the USCCA because in my opinion they offered the better legal defense. You'll have to be your own judge on that matter.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Everyone should have a personal liability insurance rider attached to their home owners insurance. Mine covers me for 500,000 per occurrence and is realatively inexpensive.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380