Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deforming Hollowpoints?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Deforming Hollowpoints?

Hey everyone. When I'm out and about I chamber a round in whatever gun I'm carrying. When I get home I eject the round, reinsert it into the magazine, and pop the mag back in. I've been carrying the T9 almost everyday since I got it a few weeks back.

About a week ago I ejected the round from the chamber and noticed that the hollowpoint was a bit deformed. I thought it might have just been a fluke. I've now noticed it again twice. The first time was with Hornady Tap 147gr JHP. The second and third times have been with Hornady Critical Defense 115gr JHP. I'm wondering what's going on here. This ammo isn't cheap stuff and I don't want to have to throw away good/expensive ammo.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm a bit concerned.

A round's trip into the chamber of a semiautomatic pistol is a pretty violent evolution. First it slams into the feed way, slides/bounces up that, then bumps into the chamber roof before coming to rest.
    What you are seeing is most likely the result of repeated chambering of the same round, but that's not to say you won't see the same thing after just one trip into the tube. In addition to deforming the bullet nose, you also need to be aware of bullet set back (bullet being forced back into the case which can cause increased chamber pressure). The preceding occurs to differing degrees in most all semiautomatic pistols. The best you can do is try to minimize the effect by limiting how often you chamber a particular round. Even then, the round will reach a point where it should be removed from the rotation. I try and shoot mine before they reach that stage.
    Regards,
    Greg

My rounds will look a tad different after ejection. Certainly won't harm anything, and certainly not worht throwing it away. Many defense rounds today are a softer all copper round and slamming into that feed ramp like GB stated is a violent thing, the weakest of the two objects will take the brunt. Certainly if u have to eject that live round for the first time put in down in the middle of the magazine and start fresh with a new round or save it for range practice if u have doubts. U can change rounds also to see if some of that dissappears but copper is copper is copper..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

The set back GB mentioned is to me the important thing. Various ammo differs in how well it's crimped and how hard the bullet is. Different guns make that chambering with less damage than others.

It's a good idea just to rotate the chambered round somewhere else in the stack or set it aside for range if it starts to look bad and toss it if it looks like the bullet is pushed deeper into the case.

I have a box in the armory with fresh rounds to replace such rounds. I call it the top round box. The old goes into a box for range and they can grab just one round to replace it.

I assume you have younguns around, I'd find a more secure place to store it and not do the empty chamber thing. One less chance of a mishap too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

certainly set back will occur to if one does multiple loading and unload and then reloading. Not sure any round was designe dto be done that way--very often...
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Ok thanks guys. It never happened with my other auto loaders, so thanks for clearing that up for me.

Also, I don't have any kids running around. Just the black lab, and he knows that you always assume that daddy's guns are loaded.

Sent from Tapatalk
    NRA "Life of Duty" Member

Quote Originally Posted by beatlesfan View Post
    Ok thanks guys. It never happened with my other auto loaders, so thanks for clearing that up for me.

Also, I don't have any kids running around. Just the black lab, and he knows that you always assume that daddy's guns are loaded.

Sent from Tapatalk
    You may not notice it beatlesfan but any semi auto is prone for it to happen. AR 15's, any of them. Some just do it worse than others.

PS- Black Labs Rock. Good dogs, I've had a few. 2 were suppose to be yellows but I ended up with blacks, not sure what happened there.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

IIRC, there is a pic/thread of LEO glock at a jail or prison facility that had had the same round constantly driven to battery and one day the ammo was used at a range and caused the gun to go kaboom. They stated is was from the bullet being set back too deep in the case and caused some sort of failure.
    If it's a penny for your thoughts and you offer me your two cents, what happens to the other penny? Taxes, the democrats tax everything!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    You may not notice it beatlesfan but any semi auto is prone for it to happen. AR 15's, any of them. Some just do it worse than others.

PS- Black Labs Rock. Good dogs, I've had a few. 2 were suppose to be yellows but I ended up with blacks, not sure what happened there.
    They really are awesome dogs. We used to have Samoyeds, but we rescued the lab from a shelter. Most well behaved dog I've ever seen. Thanks for all of the info guys, I'll keep in mind to be a bit more careful. Maybe rack the slides more gently(except the Kahr...)

Sent from Tapatalk
    NRA "Life of Duty" Member

If you don't have any kids around, why not leave the round in the chamber? Even then, inspect and rotate any round that has been in the chamber and ejected. Of course, your mag(s) are full, so throw 'em in a box and use them when you reload mags. Plus, I like to load the chamber and then add one to the mag, so I am packing 7 instead of 6. Of course the T9 holds more, but you could still do that.
    Very interesting...