Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace

Thread: PM45 / CTC laser First range report.

Default PM45 / CTC laser First range report.

I took my PM45 with the recently installed CTC laser to the range for it's maiden voyage. I even remember to bring the tiny little allen wrenches supplied by Crimson Trace to make fine tune adjustments.
    I had adjusted it to point of aim using the sights when I hung it on the gun.

I'm happy to report that I didn't have to make any adjustments at all. It was very close to point of aim at the 7 yard line and given the range is always gonna be a variable I left it as is.

My hardest problem was not looking at the sights and relying completely on the laser to fire a shot. Took some real concentration and I even shot it down from waist level a few times under the little barrier at the indoor range to make sure.

It was very visible, bright and activated with no effort or focus at all on my part.

I'm not really a laser kind of guy, more of a keep it simple type but I'm quite pleased with this thing. For instinct aiming its great for practice around the house and it also was an excellent training aid when I had my youngest son shoot it. He could instantly tell what he was doing wrong and made the use of the XS Big Dot sights crystal clear to him.

He did really well with my Glock 21. Just seemed to work good for him although he did well with 3 other 1911's as well.

Anyhow 2 thumbs up for Crimson Trace based on my first range trip with one.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Good to hear it worked out well for you!

Amen
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

When the Government is wrong, it's dangerous to be right!

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter ... don't mind .
    .. and those that mind ... don't matter!

How much grip space does the CT take up?

Very little really. Your third fingers goes right over it and right up against the bottom of the trigger guard so grip real estate stays the same.

Perhaps the only downfall if it can be considered a downfall is you really can't turn the thing off with a firing grip. I figure since it's mostly a backup gun and in a real life scenario things will be ugly at that point it don't matter to me.

Like looking for bumps in the night in the dark I most likely wouldn't be using the PM45 but if I did I'd maintain a loose grip while searching.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Glad you tried it and liked it. I have found that when I focus with my sights on bright days outdoors, I do not think about not seeing the laser. But indoors or in low light the laser takes over automatically. You never really NEED it, but it is a great tool in many ways. I see no reason not to use one for SD.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Nice report, thanks for sharing!
    Regards,
    Greg