CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is my magazine spring in backwards from Kahr?

I just checked my new one I bought from Kahr.com for $40 bucks and it was in right. Well after reading this thread I thought it was in wrong and then it was right and than well uh....I think its still right.
    Twas the best of times; Twas the worst of times...

Quote Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
    Maybe Jocko or Hoghunter please chime in
    Greg's orientation is correct. Funny, the Beretta Forum had a bit of confusion on this when one member got a set which was reversed.

If you lay the mag tube on its flat side, place the follower near it or even on the outside top, test the spring orientation in every possible way and ONE way will obviously be correct. The top of the spring has to match the angle of the follower, at the same time, the spring must angle to parallel the tube. You don't want a radical angle introducing needless friction. Simple, really.

Good thread, I had mine in backwards and didnt realize it. If you just look at the SHAPE of the spring and the SHAPE of the clip theirs actually a misleading way it can go in their that is not correct. Do as others have recomended and go BACK TO PAGE 1 and look at that photo

Back in the day when I was laying sod I carried a little card in my pocket. Before I laid each piece of sod I'd take out the card and read it. Written on the card were the words, "Green side up". That card saved me a lot of grief. Just sayin'.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Default all

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Seriously, someone needs to address the QC problems at Kahr. I've never seen another firearm with so many issues. It's a shame, because once you finally get them running properly they are great guns.
    kahrs magazines come fully assembled from the supply vendor. Kahr has the end responsibility of getting proper magazines,no doubt aobut it but IMO 99.995% of all kahr mags are properly installed.That is just anutter reason why in the propper prepping thread, we suggest checking the magazines. Not rocket science to do so, and just erroring on the side of caution. I never assume jack sh!t with anew gun by any maker...

GB photos is the best of the best, If u can't figure out with his picture, u need to move on to anutter gun.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Default Backward Springs Wow

I have been having all kinds of problems getting my out of the box CW45 to
    load up correctly....when I saw the prep sticky that at the end says check
    magazine springs....whoa boy here we go....
    I pulled mine out and they are "wound" differently from the ones in the picture examples....
    In the example pictures posted and in the manual it show both spring loops
    at the ends to be at the bottom or top depending how you hold the spring.
    Mine are at opposite end orientation....it's like the springs were wound wrong
    or maybe as I suspect it doesn't make hoot of a difference...I haven't seen
    one post where someone said...."Hey that did it...I'm good now...."....
    I would think that it doesn't matter as long as spring pressure is enough to
    get the job done.

Somebody get this right ????

I always take my mags apart and remove the grease/crud from the inside of the tube by forcing wadded up paper towels through them. Then I use fine grit sandpaper to light touch over all surfaces, incuding the inside of the retention slot using a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a pencil/eraser for that only. I want to check for burrs and smooth all bearing surfaces EXCEPT the metal pin in the follower.

I do the same for the edges of follower and the bottom of the skirts. I want the follower to drop freely all the way to the top when I put the magazine back together.

Then I lightly oil the spring and re-assemble the mags with one raised end of the spring under the front of the follower for LIFT.

Thanks for the excellent photos of proper installations, guys! Ressom's incorrect example is great for showing what NOT to do!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Greg's post #6 appears consistent with photo 13 in the Kahr manual, page 23.

This probably goes without saying it but it appears either end of the spring can be inserted into the follower provided the orientation is correct. So there is only one way to orient it but either end of the spring can be used.

Please confirm.

Also, I've had a 'change of attitude' since my post #19 nearly four years ago- that was then, this is ...
    Last edited by kahrinca; 08-24-2015 at 11:49 AM.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Either end can be used, as long as the orientation is correct (as in Greg's post). I take mine apart to clean and apply a couple coats of car wax with a Q-tip to the interior and follower. Slicks'em right up!
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Thanks, bobshouse!