Tommy Gun   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a PM9 but have a few concerns

Default Considering a PM9 but have a few concerns

Hi all,

First post of hopefully many. So I little background to start, I live in south Florida, it's hot, humid and sticky. For my EDC I carry a P2000SK in a Cross Breed Super Tuck, I love it, think its a fine firearm and does everything I need including being able to conceal well in (most cases).

However, with that being said, it is a double stack gun, and while it is very small I do find I need to adjust my attire in order to properly conceal the SK.

There are time when I just want to throw on some shorts and a t-shirt and just head out with out having to plan for jeans, and under shirt, a lose over shirt and not sweat to death.

I knew when I purchased the SK for EDC I would end up buying the PM so I would be able to have some options based on situation etc.

I have done a TON of reading and research about the PM, read the pre-setup thread and the lube thread, have watched countless videos on youtube etc, but I am still a bit unsure, it seems there are tons of completely satisfied owners, and while I know this gun will be incredibly easy to conceal even compared to my SK, the reliability issues still cause a bit concern.

A buddy of mine purchased one and he explains his has been faultless, an exemplary firearm, but I have watched so many videos of feed ramp issues, magazine issues, FTF/FTE and on and on, I just basically want to know I can rely on this gun as I can my HK.

Is this more of an older thing of the past or are things pretty stable these days? I know all about the break in (200 rounds), pre-racking the slide 500 times, cleaning, lubing, striping the mags etc.

Just about to lay down the cash and want to be sure I am doing the right thing, I am not 100% sure how much concealment I will gain between swapping from a P2000SK & and PM9 based on dress.

I plan to carry near exclusive in a mini-tuck at 3:30 which is my preferred method of carry, though with the PM9, I will also try a Galco IWB in appendix at 1:00 and also possibly a pocket system just for versatility.

Just looking for some additional feedback before I plunk down the cash

Thanks in advance!

get a kahr cm9 and a pjholster.com holster and you will be gtg.... I too am in florida and know what you are saying... save the extra cash and get the cm9.
    Focus on your front sight..... The rest should be blurry!

to touch on my last post my cm9 has 0 issues and is fun to shoot and also can be carried in the front pocket easily.
    Focus on your front sight..... The rest should be blurry!

Over the past several years I've owned many different handguns of various calibers. My PM9 that I adopted in November of '02 has remained my favorite of them all and is the one I turn to in nearly each concealed carry opportunity. Quality construction, flawless performance and very capable self defense caliber.

700 rounds, 0 failures - http://giholsters.com Silent Thunder!

Quote Originally Posted by bonjorno2 View Post
    get a kahr cm9 and a pjholster.com holster and you will be gtg.... I too am in florida and know what you are saying... save the extra cash and get the cm9.
    +2. If you want the black finish and night sights, go for the PM9. Elsewise, get the CM9 and save a lot of money. They're essentially the same gun.

Hot and sweaty in South Florida, you don't need a CB type holster because the PM9/CM9 are so light. The Garrett Silent Thunder is a nice holster, but at less than half the price ($40 shipped) the P. J. Holster IWB with Kydex clip is the perfect holster for these guns! I can wear mine all day and have to reach back there (8:30 for me, a lefty) to confirm that it is still there! Perfectly comfortable. Very concealable - the gun sits up tight against your body. No printing. Without a shirt on, I can face someone and talk with them, and they'll never see the gun unless I turn at least 45° to the right. The holster is not 1 mm longer, or wider, or thicker than it has to be to do the job. Easy on and off with the clip, yet stable with that wide clip over a good thick belt. Here are 2 pics of Coach Paul's PPS in one:

Very interesting...

Forget about racking the slide 500 times. I think it's a waste of time and energy. Just shoot your 200 rounds. That will limber the springs a lot easier than racking it. Buy the CM9 and save $200 for holsters and accesories.

Stop mentally playing with yourself. Get a CM9 and laugh all the way to the bank.

Welcome to the forum sfla99, and I also hope it is just the first of many posts. We like new (and old) guys so pull up a chair and feel at home.

While nobody can absolutely guarantee your new PM/CM9 will be absolutely perfect, the odds are it will be close to it. The trick is in the prep and lube and shooting with a strong pair of hands. Either the CM or PM will be a great carry gun and they are great to shoot.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Rainman48314 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sfla99 View Post
    Hi all,

First post of hopefully many. So I little background to start, I live in south Florida, it's hot, humid and sticky. For my EDC I carry a P2000SK in a Cross Breed Super Tuck, I love it, think its a fine firearm and does everything I need including being able to conceal well in (most cases).

However, with that being said, it is a double stack gun, and while it is very small I do find I need to adjust my attire in order to properly conceal the SK.

There are time when I just want to throw on some shorts and a t-shirt and just head out with out having to plan for jeans, and under shirt, a lose over shirt and not sweat to death.

I knew when I purchased the SK for EDC I would end up buying the PM so I would be able to have some options based on situation etc.

I have done a TON of reading and research about the PM, read the pre-setup thread and the lube thread, have watched countless videos on youtube etc, but I am still a bit unsure, it seems there are tons of completely satisfied owners, and while I know this gun will be incredibly easy to conceal even compared to my SK, the reliability issues still cause a bit concern.

A buddy of mine purchased one and he explains his has been faultless, an exemplary firearm, but I have watched so many videos of feed ramp issues, magazine issues, FTF/FTE and on and on, I just basically want to know I can rely on this gun as I can my HK.

Is this more of an older thing of the past or are things pretty stable these days? I know all about the break in (200 rounds), pre-racking the slide 500 times, cleaning, lubing, striping the mags etc.

Just about to lay down the cash and want to be sure I am doing the right thing, I am not 100% sure how much concealment I will gain between swapping from a P2000SK & and PM9 based on dress.

I plan to carry near exclusive in a mini-tuck at 3:30 which is my preferred method of carry, though with the PM9, I will also try a Galco IWB in appendix at 1:00 and also possibly a pocket system just for versatility.

Just looking for some additional feedback before I plunk down the cash

Thanks in advance!
    It works out for the majority but sucks if you're not in it. Since no one can guarantee your other options, just be sure you can live with the long DAO trigger. If you're a revolver shooter, you may love the trigger. I don't because I prefer a SA 4.5 to 5.5 # pull. Kahrs will be 7.0 -7.5#