CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hornady, what's your opinion/support?

Hornady, love their ammo. Hate their advertising. I'm also quite fond of Remington Golden Saber and Speer ammo.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Love their ammo. Hate their advertising. I'm also quite fond of Speer and Remington Golden Saber ammo.
    I did a lot of looking around at terminal ballistics before I even decided what caliber I wanted. Through all of my looking, Golden Saber was the best, so that was my first carry ammo. But shortly after buying it, I came across a lot of bad reports of their tips clogging from clothing. I couldn't have that and switched immediately.

Speer and Federal I'm uncomfortably unfamiliar with though. I'm really opening myself up for attacks with that statement, being so strongly biased towards Hornady, but I just haven't found that much third party ballistics information on the rounds.
    Kahr PM9094 - Hornady Critical Defense

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

I guess the dummest thing I can add to this thread is that I carry Hornady FTX and/or XTP ammo in my pistols. It's also rumored that I load Gold Dot 124gr.
    LaP

I have no fear of perfection... I'll never reach it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    That statement came from someone at Hornady about their Critical Defense ammo.Its ironic they say that when Critical Defense isn't designed to work on barriers.
    But now low and behold they have a new "Critical Duty" round available that addresses that concern.

Anyway back to the original topic..Do you have an opinion on Hornday?
    I was alone (thankfully) at my office about a year ago late at night and while practicing pocket draw I was distracted with a phone call. Post call I went back to the draw, but forgot that I had reloaded my SP101. I am embarrassed to confess to my one and only accidental discharge. The Critical defense 38sp. +P went through3/4" plywood, 5/8" fire rated drywall with plaster, 3.5" of fiberglass insulation, and another layer of drywall into the next office over. I never found the slug, and it was not a large room in the unit next door.

Scared the Shyte out of me ... but it I found it will penetrate SOME!

Don't get me wrong I carry the Critical Defense ammo, as I feel this is the best I can obtain at a regular basis. If I could come across some Ranger T's or HSt's in town I might purchase those but, I have not come across any of those yet.

One of the guys in my LGS carries Critical Defense as well and that tells me something.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight92 View Post
    Don't get me wrong I carry the Critical Defense ammo, as I feel this is the best I can obtain at a regular basis. If I could come across some Ranger T's or HSt's in town I might purchase those but, I have not come across any of those yet.

One of the guys in my LGS carries Critical Defense as well and that tells me something.
    What do you feel is more beneficial about the Ranger T's or HST's that the CDefense doesn't have? I'm unfamiliar with those rounds' terminal ballistics. How do they stack up to the new CDuty line?

What's LGS?

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Local gun store.

Sent using Tapatalk
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
    (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

The Ranger T's and HST's if I remember correctly are made to have sharp edges on the jacket curl, so as to inflict more damage and maybe with any luck hit an artery. Though the thing I don't like a lot, not all, of the Ranger T's and HST's are +p and don't like shooting the +p for self defense since I don't shoot it at the range.

This is the only real benefit I have seen, and from what little I have read seem to function just about the same as the Critical Defense, though they have better penetration if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight92 View Post
    The Ranger T's and HST's if I remember correctly are made to have sharp edges on the jacket curl, so as to inflict more damage and maybe with any luck hit an artery. Though the thing I don't like a lot, not all, of the Ranger T's and HST's are +p and don't like shooting the +p for self defense since I don't shoot it at the range.

This is the only real benefit I have seen, and from what little I have read seem to function just about the same as the Critical Defense, though they have better penetration if I remember correctly.
    Do you know if they have tip-clogging effects like some of the other HPJ's that I've read about like the Golden Sabers when passing through clothing or barriers?

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

I like Hornady ammo and bullets, have reloaded with their bullets for years.

I like the CDef ammo, and use it in my PD weapon. Why?
    I am suspicious of HP ammo jamming, just a mental thingy I guess.
    Also suspicious of HP being clogged, just don't want to take the chance.

I also like PowRBall and Glaser ammo. I like the FMJ profile.
    Don't care to have to spend the money to shoot 500 rounds of each type to make sure it will work in my particular gun.