Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock model 30 - good/bad??

Default Glock model 30 - good/bad??

I have a brainstorm to buy a Glock model 30 (.45 auto)

I've never owned a Glock and have always gone the direction of Kahr but I guess I'm curious about the quality/performance of Glock firearms, specifically the Model 30.

What can any of you tell me about Glock, good or bad, based on YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE? If you know anything about the Model 30 specifically, that'd be great as well.

thanks for your time!
    Kahr PM9 & PM45 - other favorites include Taurus model 65 & Keltec P32 - Firestorm 1911

The Glock 30 is a little chunky but a solid piece of machinery. Very reliable, easy to work on, just a shrunk down 21.

I ride heard on about 16 of them ?? give or take 5 or 6 here at my dept. The officers love them as backup and off duty guns since they take the same magazines as their issued 21SF's. I've had zero issues with any of them or their larger 21SF counterparts. We issued them 3 years ago and so far all is good

I owned a couple 30's and 1 36 myself which is the single stack version. I seemed to shoot better with the 30 over the 36 but I never could figure out why. Grip fit perhaps
    A little blocky and thick but great guns.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

thanks Bawanna, good info.
    basically, it sounds like the 30 will be quite a bit fatter for CCW than my Kahr PM45 though, right?
    with that in mind, its probably not for me.
    How does the Glock 36 compare to the PM45 from your point of view?
    Kahr PM9 & PM45 - other favorites include Taurus model 65 & Keltec P32 - Firestorm 1911

Quote Originally Posted by deanp1964 View Post
    thanks Bawanna, good info.
    basically, it sounds like the 30 will be quite a bit fatter for CCW than my Kahr PM45 though, right?
    with that in mind, its probably not for me.
    How does the Glock 36 compare to the PM45 from your point of view?
    The 36 is a much closer comparison to the PM45. I know there were 3 or 4 of us bouncing between the PM45 and the 36 when I got mine. I had previously had a 36 and only sold it when an officer wanted it and they all dried up after 911. I know Dietrich at the time went with the 36 and likes it very much. I gambled (at the time there were a few issues with the PM45) and went with the PM45. I think we're both happy. I wouldn't part with mine no way no how.
    The thickness is similar, the 36 still feels a little clunky to me with trigger guard and more squareness about it. The dimensions are similar though.

I actually encouraged many of the officers here to go with the 36 since they are flatter/thinner and would fit better in vest holsters. Almost without exception they like the mag interchange enough they are willing to accept the thickness.

The 30 has many interchangeable parts with it's larger counterparts whereas a few of the 36 parts are different. Not really an issue. Parts are rarely needed.

The new Gen4 Glocks are a mystery to me. Never even held one but I've heard rumors there are some issues. I'm also not sure that they changed much on the 30 and 36 or if they stayed the same. Haven't encountered any yet.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The Gen4 issues are with the 9mm's. Although, I've been lucky and haven't had any problems with mine. The 30 and 36 aren't out in Gen4 yet.

My OD green 36 is my favorite Glock. Fits my hand just right. But, I put a G30 slide on it and that helps tone down the recoil a little bit.
    Yes, I am a gun lovin' woman!
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Thanks Melissa. I'd forgotten you've gone through quite a few Glocks in the last 6 months or year.

Good information.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Thanks Melissa. I'd forgotten you've gone through quite a few Glocks in the last 6 months or year.

Good information.
    Yes, I rotate them in and out frequently.
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by melissa5 View Post
    Yes, I rotate them in and out frequently.
    I can't believe she said that! Can anyone believe she said that?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I can't believe she said that! Can anyone believe she said that?
    Bawanna! You've got a dirty mind!

It's from hanging around with Jocko. All his fault. Bad influence.

You aren't thinking of Kardashianing me and starting your own reality show are ya?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan