Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CM9 on the way, gotta load up some ammo

dirtengineer:

I don't load premium bullets 'cause I buy any ammo I carry for self defense.

231 is a good 9mm powder but I found bullseye to shoot more to point of aim out of a pm9, with both 115 and 124 bullets from Precision Delta.

If you call Kahr, in the slim chance you have any problems, expect to be asked about the ammo used.
    And the only WRONG answer to that question is reloads:9:

Tilos

Tilos - I haven't received my firearm yet, so I haven't read the manual. Is Kahr one of the manufacturers that say don't use reloads? I understand that they don't want to be liable for kabooms, but as long as you keep things within reason...

I know that some folks say that you should use factory ammo for defensive loads. My philosophy is that if you load your own you can afford to practice with your defensive load. I am ultra careful about QC on my defensive ammo and typically use brand new brass. I hand weight every charge, check it with an RCBS powder check die, and then inspect every finished round.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Hi Dirt Engineer and welcome to the forum! The initial break in for all Kahr guns have a lot of friction on the action and I recommend a fairly strong FMJ for the first 100 rounds to make it good right off. Many have found a weaker load to cause feed and eject problems.

I reload myself (still fairly new) and use W231 at 4.5gn on a 124gn plated RN from Precision Delta. My PM9 is well broken in and shoots anything but didn't before it was ready.

Strongly recommend the Proper Prep and Lube chart in the Kahr-Tech section. Note where the lube chart says coat that means use grease. They like to run on the wet side initially then will do well with normal cleaning and lube.

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.
    OldLincoln,

I have read that thread on lube/prep and plan to follow the advice. My only concern is trying to shoot a greased firearm in Alaska in November/December. It has been pretty cold this year and I am thinking that I would cause a lot of jams just because of the lower viscosity or thicker consistency. Of course, I could start with grease and if it doesn't work a quick wipe down and oil up would fix things nice.

Wow - 4.5 grains has got to be a max load if not more. Load data that I got from MidwayUSA several years ago listed 4.5 grains of W231 as a max load for the Rainier 115 grain RN. Max loads are typically lower for a heavier bullet. What source did you use to get your load data?

Hodson reloadind lists 115 gr jacketed bullet with w-231 at max of 5.1 gr. in 9mm bullets.
    I reload my berrys plated 115 gr at 4.9 and they shoot fine. Don't have it in front of me but 124 grain should be max at around 4.9 w/231.

You may be right so others please advise.

My Hornady manual shows 3.9gn to 5.2gn of W231 for 124 FMJ. I picked one kinda in the middle. I've put quite a few through the PM9 without any deformities or feeling like a hot load. But I would like other opinions to be sure.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Here is the load data that I have:
    Source - Winchester out of the "Complete reloading manual for the 9mm Luger"
    W231 for 124 grain FMJ 4.2-4.5 grains
    W231 for 124 grain LRN 3.3-4.0 grains

Source - Lee Modern Reloading second edition
    W231 for 124 grain jacketed 4.2-4.5 grain
    W231 for 124 grain lead 3.3-4.0 grain

I am not familiar with that brand, precision delta. Rainier bullets says to use lead bullet data or to reduce jacketed data by 10% for their plated bullets. They used to have data on their website (I have a pdf copy) which is what I was quoting before. Berrys says to use middle of the road load data.

I know that load data can be all over the place. I don't have a Hornady book, but I do have Hornady data in my universal 9mm book, and it doesn't list W231 for 124 grain bullets. If the Hornady book shows you are ok and you don't have signs of excess pressure, I would check the velocity with a chronograph as a last step. If the velocity is reasonable and fairly consistent I would still use the load if it was reliable and accurate. My favorite load in .380 is in this category where it is above max for one source and below max in another.

A coupla quick points on published loads in manuals:
    Be advised that some powder formulations have been modified over the years by the manufacturer. Even if the actual formulation hasn't been altered by the manufacturer...there can be differences observed from lot-to-lot. None of this matters much if your chosen load is in the low to middle part of the published range. It CAN make a difference however if you want to work in the upper end of the safe range...even up to MAX loads. In addition of course...every firearm is different. This is why EVERY responsible, experienced reloader will ALWAYS advise that you start out "well down" in the recommendation table of charge weights, and WORK UP.

Go here for load information on W-231 right from the horses mouth.

http://www.wwpowder.com/

Use 125 gr data for 124 gr loads.

What Ikeo74 said...
    The difference of load data from manuals can be eliminated by using data published by the powder manufacturer.
    Hodgdon's website is a good source for winchester powder info because they make it.
    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
    or
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/default.aspx
    or
    http://www.handloads.com/
    or
    http://www.ammoguide.com/

But this is not benchrest...unless you try and make it benchrest.

Tilos

This is my 9mm load

4.2 grains TiteGroup
    CCI #500 primers
    Winchester 115 grain FMJ bullets
    COL 1.130"
    They cycle in all of my 9mm pistols.