Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Micro Desert Eagle Problem List

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Trenton, NJ
    Posts
    8

    Default Micro Desert Eagle Problem List

    I'm pretty unsatisfied with my Kahr P380. Looks like the Micro Eagle is the ticket as a replacement as I can find little in the way of problems with them.

    The only thing I could find on the MDE was slide cracking issues that apparently only happened to one batch during the early phases of them being built here, and has since been fixed. I wanted to start this thread so people can post their problems, that way we can create a reference to see if there's any ongoing or common issues. As far as I can tell the pistol is rock solid, but I want to make sure before I purchase one.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Keep in mind that you're not going to find a lot of accounts of problems on a pistol that not that many people own.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Near Fincastle, VA
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Had one for a year or so, maybe 400 rounds. Shoots any crappy ammo without complaint. Shoots softer than a LCP but harsher than the P380 and not as accurate (for me) as the Kahr. Bought mine mis-priced for $380 (I think the clerk just posted the caliber rather than the MSRP) but I've seen them for around $350 these days. I think the rare frame-cracking issues may have been due to hot loads; the gun is a proven design and popular in Europe as the Kevin pistol. Buy one, I don't think you'll get burned.

    EDIT: tighten the grip screws after every range session.
    Last edited by CPO15; 11-27-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Brain stone

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    The main negative I've read about the micro eagle is the blasting effect the shooter gets to the face while firing. Appearently the guns has ports or something on the top of the barrel that shoots out burning powder blast everytime it fires.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Trenton, NJ
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virg View Post
    The main negative I've read about the micro eagle is the blasting effect the shooter gets to the face while firing. Appearently the guns has ports or something on the top of the barrel that shoots out burning powder blast everytime it fires.

    I was curious about this so I googled it. I wanted to write a response right away dismissing the stuff in the face since blowbacks in general are known to spit a little (especially if they open early, usually due to a worn out recoil spring). Also, I thought the ports directed gas inside the slide.

    I did a little googlefu and found this thread talking about it. There is pretty good pictures in the thread, and I was wrong...the ports do vent the gas against the hood of the slide at the top of the breech, and are not inside the slide like I previously thought. A person in that thread posted that they learned about it shooting crap into the face when (from what I can tell) he was shooting from retention. Apparently it's not bad as the pistol is still more than a foot away from your face even with the highest retention shooting method (reference the pectoral), not to mention the ports blow the gas forward instead of straight up. Still unpleasant I imagine, though. I wonder how it would feel with my Buffalo Bore .380

    This is something to be aware of, thanks for posting!

    CPO15,

    Why did you end up selling it? I've also heard it's well respected in Europe (heard from someone who's pretty knowledge overall and big into the shooting sports community in Europe, knows some gun journalists in Europe as well).

    I appreciate the responses from everyone.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Near Fincastle, VA
    Posts
    143

    Default

    TGS: I didn't sell it, carry it often in a HiddenHolsters back-pocket model: I guess my syntax sucked. I'm surprised at your Google as I didn't find that while doing my MDE research last year; I DID find the frame cracking issue, but it seemed to be just one guy and Magnum Research fixed it quick with some spare recoil springs? for his trouble.

    Regarding the blowback; all I notice is a dirty hand (but I would LOVE to fire it in the dark to see what distance those ports can achieve). I do like this gun,

    One thing that cracks me up in most threads on the MDE (surprised it hasn't happened here) is someone dissing the gun because they think they'll blow-off a finger on their off-hand by mis-placing it on the trigger guard.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Mountains of Western NC
    Posts
    6,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPO15 View Post
    Had one for a year or so, maybe 400 rounds. Shoots any crappy ammo without complaint. Shoots softer than a LCP but harsher than the P380 and not as accurate (for me) as the Kahr. Bought mine mis-priced for $380 (I think the clerk just posted the caliber rather than the MSRP) but I've seen them for around $350 these days. I think the rare frame-cracking issues may have been due to hot loads; the gun is a proven design and popular in Europe as the Kevin pistol. Buy one, I don't think you'll get burned.

    EDIT: tighten the grip screws after every range session.
    Good post! This is a good thread. I was looking at the MDE a while back, but got turned off by stories of frame cracking and other issues. How is the gun so far as ergonomics, pointability, accuracy, recoil? It's hard to tell in pics, but is it thicker than the P380?
    Very interesting...


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Trenton, NJ
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Yeah the frame cracking issue doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. From everything I found it was due to defects somewhere in the metallurgical process...not a problem with the gun, more of a teething issue that needed to be worked out on the manufacturing side. As far as I could tell, the cracking was not due to hot "+p" loads or anything of the sort. It doesn't bother me one bit.

    I kinda laugh when I see that about shootin' off your finger, too. If you're going to shoot off your finger with the MDE, you're going to do it with any pocket pistol. The trigger guard shouldn't be an issue, and if it is an issue then it means someone is using an outdated, silly shooting technique of known detrimental value from 40 years ago

    It gets your hand a little dirty? Hopefully that shouldn't be too much of a problem for me. I usually have dirty hands by the end of a shooting session anyway, and wash before I leave the range.

    The only bad things I can find about the MDE are preference based, not actual problems with working properly. Anyone got anything? Bueller?............. Bueller?

    This is good to have a discussion about this neat little pistol...let's keep it going.

    Quote Originally Posted by CPO15 View Post
    TGS: I didn't sell it, carry it often in a HiddenHolsters back-pocket model: I guess my syntax sucked. I'm surprised at your Google as I didn't find that while doing my MDE research last year; I DID find the frame cracking issue, but it seemed to be just one guy and Magnum Research fixed it quick with some spare recoil springs? for his trouble.

    Regarding the blowback; all I notice is a dirty hand (but I would LOVE to fire it in the dark to see what distance those ports can achieve). I do like this gun,

    One thing that cracks me up in most threads on the MDE (surprised it hasn't happened here) is someone dissing the gun because they think they'll blow-off a finger on their off-hand by mis-placing it on the trigger guard.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Xssights