Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help making a decision, CM9, PM9, PM40, or should i just get a glock?

Default Need help making a decision, CM9, PM9, PM40, or should i just get a glock?

I am in the market for my first CCW. I love Kahr's, but am unsure of where I should begin. I have studied each gun in depth and want to hear some experiences from the forum. Here are my thoughts so far:
    1. I hear the most positives about the PM9.
    2. The CM9 is cheaper, but is it as good?
    3. I like the stopping power of the PM40, but hear that reliability is not as good as the PM9.
    4.Ideally I would like XS Big Dot sights on my gun (not availavle for the CM series)
    5. I love the reliability of glocks, but am worried that concealing a G26-27 will end up with me leaving it at home.

I appreciate hearing all experiences good and bad.

Looks like you answered your own question...= PM9 with Big dots.
    Only because the Big dot requirement, otherwise I would say CM9.

big dots NOT YET on the CM9 but my bet is that they will come sooner than later. Maybe not from kahr but from XS themselves.

If it was me today, knowing what I know and loving my PM9 as I do, IWOULD BUY THE CM9. This gun is a winner. The cm9 is the same quality as the PM series. ur not going down hill with the cm9, just ask any cm9 owner..

I love the xs big dots in my PM9 so if that is #1 in ur desire, u have no choice but the PM and I think ur gonna be happier with the PM9 over the PM40. I think the redliability of the PKM40 is just as good as the PM9 but I also think some of the issues the PM40 is shooter issues and not the gun. It is a pocket rocket to be sure. I think Beardgo said what I just said in about 1/20 of words used..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I would go with the MK9 and add my own BIG DOT sights.....I don't care for plastic guns.:86:
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Agreed I have a Glock 26 have owned XD9sc and a PM9 as well as a few others. I have or still do carry them from time to time.The PM9 is by far the best gun to carry IMO. It's a high quality piece that is extremely comfortable for all day go anywhere CC. It's reliable,easy to control for such a small pistol,shoots accurately providing you do your part. I won't lie to you though it takes a little time and practice to get proficent at shooting these smaller pistols. Once you do though you'll find out why so many of us love these little PM9's. It's the first gun I reach for every morning.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

SHOOT STRAIGHT, RIDE SAFE

@BEARDOG: do you own either PM9 or CM9? If so any ammo preferences or better yet any ammo dislikes?

@jocko: First off let me say I've seen pics of your PM9. BEAUTIFUL! Anyway, same question to you: ammo likes or dislikes, also do you still love the magnaporting you had done (dose it help with recoil and follow-up shots), and how's your accuracy with the big dots?

Quote Originally Posted by mchills View Post
    I am in the market for my first CCW. I love Kahr's, but am unsure of where I should begin. I have studied each gun in depth and want to hear some experiences from the forum. Here are my thoughts so far:
    3. I like the stopping power of the PM40, but hear that reliability is not as good as the PM9.
    4.Ideally I would like XS Big Dot sights on my gun (not availavle for the CM series)
    5. I love the reliability of glocks, but am worried that concealing a G26-27 will end up with me leaving it at home.

Below is a picture of the differences between the CM9 and the PM9. Other than those they are the same gun and one is just as reliable as the other. I picked 9mm because .40 is too snappy for me to have quick and accurate follow-up shots. This was a critical factor in picking my CCW gun. I cannot conceal even the smallest Glock. I had an LCP and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. With the CM9 I am very accurate. Below is a picture of 50 rounds at 15 yards with my CM9. The CM9 fit the bill and I'm 100% happy with my decision.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Notables:
    Kimber Custom II 1911 .45 ACP ("How sweet it is")
    Kahr CM9 9mm - Trijicon night sights, Wolff 5# striker spring
    Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm - Meprolight night sights, BTGuiderod stainless steel captured guide rod, Ghost Ranger trigger connector, Vickers mag release
    Taurus 85 Stainless Steel .38 Special
    1977 Smith & Wesson 19-4 2.5" .357 Magnum - Wolff springs, Professional trigger job
    1955 Hi-Standard Sentinel R-100 .22lr
    1958 Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie .22lr
    Norinco SKS 7.62x39

If you want to pants pocket carry, the PM9 is hard to beat. If you will jacket pocket or holster carry, I prefer the PM45.

I don't have one but mechanically it should be.

I said the PM9 is hard to beat. IMO, the PM40 beats it. I believe a lot of problems are shooter induced - it is a harder pistol to shoot well because of the recoil, but I see no reason for it to be unreliable.

Don't know. I tend to use factory sights.

I always leave Glocks at the gun store.

Over the last five years, I have had five Kahrs in this order. CW9, CW45 - traded for a PM45, PM9, and CW40. I have yet to have a problem. The CW9 and PM45 were stolen, so I currently have the PM9 and CW40.

@BEARDOG: do you own either PM9 or CM9? If so any ammo preferences or better yet any ammo dislikes?

@jocko: First off let me say I've seen pics of your PM9. BEAUTIFUL! Anyway, same question to you: ammo likes or dislikes, also do you still love the magnaporting you had done (dose it help with recoil and follow-up shots), and how's your accuracy with the big dots?
    Yes I own a CM9 and a CW9 both have CTC lasers and Trijicon front night sights and for the record a Glock 26 with big dots.
    Self defense ammo preferences are Speer Gold dot 124 gr+P and Ranger T 147gr for my Kahrs. I also like those, and the Ranger 127+P+ for the Glock. All of these are available in 50 rd boxes and are very high quality self defense ammo. Any FMJ will do for target and I reload so any of my own as well.

I thought about your original question a little bit more and wonder how you plan to carry?

love my magna port PM9, K9 and G19. My kahrs eat anythig that goes into the pipe. never been ammo sensitive. Ipresently carry gold dots and powerball. I am not an accruate shooter with bog dots, or small dots, so ur talking tothe wrong person in that department. My G19 I am very very acurrate with it and I have Dawson fiber optics on it.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY