CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help making a decision, CM9, PM9, PM40, or should i just get a glock?

If you're on a budget, go with the CM9. For most of us, it is PRACTICALLY the same as a PM9, but not in REALITY (see comparisons above). However, because you can find a PM9 for much less than MSRP (between $500-600), go with the PM9 if you can spring for the extra $100 or so. No regrets with my PM9, but it was a GIFT and money wasn't the deciding factor for me.
    God is good, ALL the time!

I like my PM40 and it fits in my right front jeans pocket just fine...I can shoot it ok but nowhere near that target Markis82 did in post #7...Thats some mighty fine shooting and if I ever get close to that I'm going to retire on top of my game...I got my PM40 gently used for a great price and it has been 100% reliable and has feed everything put through it to this point...

Truth is if I was buying new I would go with a CM9 for ammo price and less recoil...My PM40 while not a hand cannon by any means still lets you know that you shot something substantial and after 50 or so rounds I'm ready to put it down...

Try going to a range that rents Kahr pistols and try them all and whatever you choose you will have a very fine, well made little CCW...Good luck...

Just a reminder to add some more confusion to your decision, the CM40 was just announced.
    Notables:
    Kimber Custom II 1911 .45 ACP ("How sweet it is")
    Kahr CM9 9mm - Trijicon night sights, Wolff 5# striker spring
    Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm - Meprolight night sights, BTGuiderod stainless steel captured guide rod, Ghost Ranger trigger connector, Vickers mag release
    Taurus 85 Stainless Steel .38 Special
    1977 Smith & Wesson 19-4 2.5" .357 Magnum - Wolff springs, Professional trigger job
    1955 Hi-Standard Sentinel R-100 .22lr
    1958 Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie .22lr
    Norinco SKS 7.62x39

My question would be how do you intend to carry.

IF the PM9 or CM9 fits the bill then by all means get one... I'd go with the CM9 myself, as Jocko said the big dots will be coming soon and the rest of the differences aren't anything to worry about.

I have the K9 and the wife has the CW9 and that is the size I would recommend. I like having all of my fingers on the grip... however I really enjoy my Ruger Sp101 and all of my fingers don't fit on the grip with it.

It all depends on how you intend to carry. I have no problem with the CW or K in my pocket.

Default Rent and you will know

Rent/borrow if you can.
    handgun selection is very personal.
    I rented a P9, P40 and K40.
    After a box of ammo through each my choice was clear (MK40 Elite).

How you plan to carry, as previously stated, is important too.
    The steel guns are a bit heavy for pocket carry.
    But great on a belt.
    CM9/PM9/PM40 carry great in the pocket or on the belt.

I personally found the light weight polymer 40s recoil prohibitive to extensive range practice.
    But the polymer 9mm was just fine.
    Opinions very on that.
    You really need to shoot it and decide for yourself.

I also have a G27.
    Although pocket carry is possible.
    It's a bit thick and heavy for that.
    Again, it's great in a belt holster.

All the guns listed are reliable and suitable for SD.
    Range time and experience carrying is the only way you 'll really know.
    Last edited by Barth; 12-05-2011 at 06:36 PM.

I've carried a PM9 since '02. That in itself says something about my preferred carry. I just last night traded a P380 for a PM40 so I'm not sure yet where that's going to fit into my carry regimen. The PM9

I've not owned a CM9 so I can't speak knowledgeably about one. I can tell you that the PM9 is in my opinion hands down the best compact 9MM out there right now. It eats whatever I feed it, from cheap range stuff to self defense ammo. My self defense ammo of choice is Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P. Function and reliability is flawless.

I've also owned / carried both a Glock 26 and Glock 27. They're both great pistols but not conducive to concealed carry for my mode of dress. With both of them I experienced "picky pinch" during recoil.

Default Forget the pinky extension and lose the pinch

Quote Originally Posted by mser View Post
    I've also owned / carried both a Glock 26 and Glock 27. They're both great pistols but not conducive to concealed carry for my mode of dress. With both of them I experienced "picky pinch" during recoil.
    My G27 with a flush mag and two G22/15 extended mags =
    zero pinky pinch.

If it is a carry gun how are you going to carry it? IWB, OWB, pocket, or whatever. The answer to part of most of my questions is weight and bulk. I went with a PM9 because cost was not a factor for me. My other carry gun is a S&W 340pd. Both guns are very light weight loaded. Both fit in any type of carry method listed above. I feel I am far more accurate on followup shots with the 9mm than the .40 just due to recoil recovery. If ammo cost is a consideration the 9mm will cost you half of what the .40 will cost. Cheaper ammo = more practice=better shot placement=smaller caliber needed to do the job. My 2¢

Quote Originally Posted by mchills View Post
    I am in the market for my first CCW. I love Kahr's, but am unsure of where I should begin. I have studied each gun in depth and want to hear some experiences from the forum. Here are my thoughts so far:
    1. I hear the most positives about the PM9.
    2. The CM9 is cheaper, but is it as good?
    3. I like the stopping power of the PM40, but hear that reliability is not as good as the PM9.
    4.Ideally I would like XS Big Dot sights on my gun (not availavle for the CM series)
    5. I love the reliability of glocks, but am worried that concealing a G26-27 will end up with me leaving it at home.

I appreciate hearing all experiences good and bad.
    Not necessarily in this continuing order:
    6. Walther PPS
    7. SA EMP
    8. Beretta Nano
    9. Ruger LC9 modified with Galloway trigger parts
    10. Used S&W 3913

I have the CM9 with 650+ flawless rounds. It will eat anything. I love it. Had the CW9 before that. flawless for sure. Paint you some Dot sights on it until the others are available.

I say get the CM9 and $200 worth of Good American or PMC (Korean) FMJ ammo from cheaper than dirt. I have shot 1000 rounds of PMC, most all of it through a Kahr, and never had even one failure of any type. They all go bang.