Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on the CM9

Default My thoughts on the CM9

So, I FINALLY got my new CM9...I also purchased the LCP at the same time. The other night I was able to take it to a local range, and here are my impressions of both. This isn't an "expert" review by any means, just some of my thoughts.

KAHR CM9:

I LOVE the trigger and recoil on this gun! The trigger is a little longer but it didn't feel gritty, in fact, it felt buttery smooth. I've never fired a striker action pistol before, and it was a good experience. I happened to double-tap twice out of 100rds which happened in the beginning.

For the most part the gun felt natural to hold, but I don't like the fact that my pinky was hanging over the side...it felt a little awkward. I since got the extended magazine with pinky extension and it feels perfect!

I wish it was easier to take down...it would be perfect if it were like a Glock or Sig. It's not bad by any means, and it's certainly better than the LC9. Another thing I didn't like is the guide rod and springs when trying to reassemble. Maybe it's just me but it was frustrating trying to get it to line up, and push it far enough to catch without worrying about it slipping and spending the rest of the night looking for them.

I LOVE the machining and the looks of the gun, I might try polishing up the barrel a bit though. It's purely cosmetic, but the little scratches on the matte stainless just barely bug me enough to do something about it.

I was bothered at first by having to physically pull the magazine out, but I read there are fixes for that. I haven't shot it with the new magazine yet, which was my only "real" gripe about the gun. Overall my impressions are good!

By the way, out of the 100rds of el-cheapo Walmart FMJ I put down the pipe, this KAHR functioned flawlessly. Of course I read the prep and lube forums before firing...but I'm impressed!

RUGER LC9:

This isn't a Ruger forum, so I'm not going to discuss it too much. As much as I like this gun, I think I'm going to maybe trade it in for a decent wheel gun. I like the way it feels in my hand and that's about it. It's a decent shooter, but compared to the Kahr it "feels" snappier and less quality. The grips had a tendency to "dig" into my hand.

I like the sights a little better than the CM9's and I like that you don't need a "tool" to remove/adjust them.

I don't like the safety's at all! They can keep the internal locking mechanism but get rid of the rest! The magazine disconnect and thumb safety shouldn't be there!

I also don't like the way it breaks down...it's a hassle trying to get the thing apart. I like the design of the guide rod and springs better than Kahr's CM9 though.

Even though it was a little snappier the gun was spot on and 100% reliable out of the box. I wouldn't have a problem keeping it, in fact, it seems like a "utility" gun. A good firearm to have while working outside or construction...or any place its a little rough. The Kahr feels like a "dress" gun, I would wear going out to eat or maybe a professional/casual gathering.

I was equally accurate with both, but I think KAHR has a certain quality that's hard to explain. I never even thought twice about KAHR before this purchase, but they definitely have my vote in my next purchase!

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Hope you hang out here and join in a lot.

The Kahr trigger gets a great review from everybody. Sometimes it feels like you start the pull on Monday and it goes bang on Wednesday but we get over that quickly.

As for breakdown, it definitely gets better with use. Mine is well broken in and with a normal grip, I push on the right side with my trigger finger as I slowly rack it back with my left. It goes in when it finds the right spot and holds the slide there. Then I change hand position and bring it back to the notch then pull it out with my left hand.

The recoil spring is lots of fun but gets dramatically easier too. I grab the slide with my right hand and push the end toward the muzzle with my right thumb while guiding it with my left hand. At first I tried to pull it back with my left hand and discovered that's a good launch position. This way it doesn't have any place to go.

I've thought about doing a video of these things but don't have a video camera of know how to do it anyway. There is likely You Tube videos on reassembly out there already.

Again welcome!
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Any thoughts on why I might have double tapped in the beginning?

Think I actually prefer reports like yours from non-experts. Adds a lot of credibility. Thanks for sharing.

Wow, an unintentional double tap with a Kahr seems very unusual to me given the long trigger reset and then long pull to fire the second round. I can't offer any explanation.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

It only happened in the beginning of shooting...within the first 3 mags through the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mfldmike View Post
    I'm not understanding this. Did you not pull the trigger twice to fire the 2 rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    I'm not understanding this. Did you not pull the trigger twice to fire the 2 rounds?
    Yes...but, from what I'm reading the Kahr CM9 is suppose to have a long reset and it doesn't seem like it to me. Then again, it only happened in the beginning and I've never fired a Striker Action before.

Probably just a fluke...

Default can

It only happened in the beginning of shooting...within the first 3 mags through the gun.
    u duplicate the double tap again??? sure not supposed to do that.. nice report on both guns by the way. It only takes about a 1/4": retraction of the slide to reset the trigger but hopefully what happened in the start was just an anamoly....
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I shot a total of 100 rds. out of it at one time a couple days ago. The only time I double tapped was within the first 3 mags.

I'm thinking it's because I shot the Ruger LC9 first, and it was snappier with a different trigger. Maybe it was a fluke trying to get used to the Kahr trigger.

Ruger's LC9 is a little rough, it has about the same as the Kahr but if "feels" gritty and not as smooth as the CM9

Mike,

Very concise reports on the two pistols.
    The only pistols I've ever had "doubles" on were 1911s. The first was due to a worn sear, and the second was definitely my fault.

I think you experienced an anomaly with your CM9. I don't think it will repeat itself.
    Steve