Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashlights

Default Flashlights

What's your opinion on EDC flashlights to accompany your EDC pistol?

I'm caught between what features I want or what brand.

I want:
    MAX lumens
    High/Strobe/Low(to increase run time while I use it regularly)
    ---I don't know about the features though...push button with multiple clicks, or with a separate selector for modes?
    It has to be as rugged and reliable as my Kahr, as it could be equally as important when SHTF as the majority of shootings occur in low light conditions.
    It also has to be compact, like a 2xCR123 length, and about a 1-1.5" diameter.

Watcha got for me KahrTalk?
    Kahr PM9094 - Hornady Critical Defense

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

This may help set a guideline.
    This is new from 5.11 that I'm considering and fits pretty much all of my requirements.

My biggest issue with THIS particular model is just about the button. Strobe is 3rd/last I believe...and I'm not sure if that's tactically conducive.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...lashlight.html

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Waterproof and impact resistance ought to be high on the list of desired features, too. I bought some really bright, 150-Lumen Cree lights that seem pretty sturdy, but I dropped one from less than 4 feet onto concrete and it doesn't get very bright and dims quickly. The regular price at Costco is $19.95 for THREE and I got mine on sale for $4 or $5 less there, but cheaply made lights aren't good bets for tactical situations. These use 3 AAA batteries.

These lights really punch out a hundred yards or so and seem impressive, but the PD32 with over 300 lumens... good grief! And the prices aren't bad, either.

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-PD32-Com.../dp/B0062PVSGW

Amazon.com is a good place to look for stuff AND check out the user reviews, especially the first one by an LEO tester.

I've decided a lot of purchases, yay or nay, based on these reviews.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Here is what I look for in a flashlight:

1) Small, light, and portable - I want to carry it in my pocket without noticing it
    2) Bright - I don't need to see across a football field but I do want to see clearly around the house, in my backyard, etc.
    3) LED so I don't have to worry about bulbs burning out when I need it the most
    4) Normal batteries so when they die it's easy to find & grab replacements anywhere
    5) White and red LEDs so I can see "normal", or if need be protect my night vision as appropriate.
    6) Sturdy - no plastic lights for me
    7) Waterproof

And here's what I selected: http://www.amazon.com/LRI-PPRO-Proto...cm_cr-mr-title

It has all of what I want plus stuff I never use (e.g. all the blinky modes). One bonus I really like is the ability to smoothly dim either the red or the white LED to get just the right light intensity I want in any environment.

i never dreamed such a tiny flashlight could be so bright. But it is. I think very highly of mine.
    Ray

NRA Endowment Life Member
    SAF Life Member

Here's what I use:

Redline Nebo: Medium+, double the lumens and options and carryable
    Maglite X50: Medium, 105 lumens
    Streamlite ProTac 2AA: Small+, pocketable, great output, 140 lumens?

I'll google the specs later.

Default $60 460 lumen SureFire works for me

I got a SureFire G3 from Midway for $30 bucks (think they are all gone now...)
    Then added a 460 lumen upgrade lamp.
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/p60-dropin.html
    And created a $60 Bat Signal.

Default Pricey, but the Best!

I own four Surefire lights. Two of these are A2 Aviators, one WeaponLight, and an E2L Outdoorsman.

I find myself more often carrying the Outdoorsman than the other three, for a couple of good reasons. The Outdoorsman has a two-position end cap activation switch, which clicks on the 3 lumen low light first, followed by the 60 lumen beam with a second click. The LED light is bright enough for most applications, and would momentarily blind someone if pointed at the face.

It uses two CR123 batteries, and has a maximum run time of 6 hours on high beam. The body of the light is anodized aluminum, and the light is water-proof.

While admittedly expensive, Surefire flashlights carry a very good guarantee. I once dropped one of my A2 Aviators off a moving locomotive, damaging the end cap. Surefire sent me a new end cap, no questions asked.

The Outdoorsman doesn't have a strobe feature, but I've never found an application that would justify a strobe for my use. The flashlight does not have to be completely turned on (with the clicks) to activate the light, so momentary illumination can be achieved easily.
    Steve

About six months ago I purchased and started carrying a Q Mini 123 from 4Sevens.

Never realized how much I would actually use a flashlight until I started carrying one.
    aka - SlideRackingDude, as decreed by Bawanna:

Perhaps we shall address you as "Slide Racking Dude" from here forward.

Go forth and rack........dude.

The Q Mini 123 seems too complicated:

Selecting Special Outputs

The MiNi has 4 special output modes: Strobe, S.O.S., Beacon (Hi), and Beacon (Lo). To access these modes, quickly switch through two full 'cycles' of the regular outputs, starting with Low. These two full cycles must be completed within 3 seconds:

Low -> Medium -> High -> Low -> Medium -> High -> Special Outputs
    You can continue to cycle through the special outputs in the following sequence:

Strobe -> S.O.S. -> Beacon (high) -> Beacon (low)

I'm gonna be trying to light up my attacker while getting shot at...

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR