CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flashlights

I seldom carry a flashlight of any type, but I sure don't want one attached to my pistol. If I know I'm going to be out after dark, and I'm worried about it, I just grab a gun with night sights.

I usually carry this one: There are lights that are brighter with 1 cr123 but I find this to be perfect for edc.

http://kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=45905&postcount=12

I also have a Streamlight Strion LED rechargeable:It is a great light.

http://policehq.com/Products/SL-STRL

Momentary on switch, starts on high power,hold down all the way to go to medium and low and doubletap for high.

Flashlights are addicting, you've been warned!

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    These lights really punch out a hundred yards or so and seem impressive, but the PD32 with over 300 lumens... good grief! And the prices aren't bad, either.

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-PD32-Com.../dp/B0062PVSGW

Wynn
    I just bought the Fenix PD32. It has all the features and electronics of a high end flashlight. Like: *Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness. *Intelligent memory circuit memorizes the last brightness level when you last switched off your flashlight and immediately powers on to that last mode. *Reverse polarity protection. *Over heat protection. It is easy to use. I especially like these features: *Strobe by one press of side switch. *Side slide switch for selecting the 4 brightness levels. *Tactical tail switch is used for momentary on/off. All for $66.95 shipped.
    Notables:
    Kimber Custom II 1911 .45 ACP ("How sweet it is")
    Kahr CM9 9mm - Trijicon night sights, Wolff 5# striker spring
    Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm - Meprolight night sights, BTGuiderod stainless steel captured guide rod, Ghost Ranger trigger connector, Vickers mag release
    Taurus 85 Stainless Steel .38 Special
    1977 Smith & Wesson 19-4 2.5" .357 Magnum - Wolff springs, Professional trigger job
    1955 Hi-Standard Sentinel R-100 .22lr
    1958 Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie .22lr
    Norinco SKS 7.62x39

Quote Originally Posted by Markis82 View Post
    I just bought the Fenix PD32. It has all the features and electronics of a high end flashlight. Like: *Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness. *Intelligent memory circuit memorizes the last brightness level when you last switched off your flashlight and immediately powers on to that last mode. *Reverse polarity protection. *Over heat protection. It is easy to use. I especially like these features: *Strobe by one press of side switch. *Side slide switch for selecting the 4 brightness levels. *Tactical tail switch is used for momentary on/off. All for $66.95 shipped.
    Good call, I just bought one as well...$61.95 shipped off the 'Bay. It got great reviews and the features made a lot of sense to me. Its an upgrade to a $40 S&W light on the night stand. I have a gun mounted light with a switch that allows me to quickly turn it on or off. No plans to carry that out side or clear my condo.

Gun mounted lights require a lot of thought and training so that you don't give away your position in a dark house where you already have the advantage of knowing the floor plan. You sure also don't want anyone using it as an aiming point against you. The last caution is that you must point a loaded gun at whatever you want to illuminate. That isn't always a BG, could be your dog, child or neighbor. Still, can be very handy. It allows both hands to be available and you never need to hunt for it. My GF has on occasion moved that separate S&W light from where I expect to find it.

The PD32 seems like a very good light. I don't like having to cycle through to the setting I want... and having only the end switch for that sucks. I might have to get one of those when I get back from Colorado.

You just wouldn't believe all of the stuff I'm buying and having shipped to my in-laws because I don't want to miss out on some deals... like buying sale and clearance stuff from Lands' End and getting 40% OFF the whole order AND free shipping!! We don't leave until next Thursday and I keep getting all of these offers... gun stuff and ammo, too!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I bought one of those cree led flashlights from LED Wholesalers, it was very bright but the on/off button quit working in about 3 months, I only paid 17.00 for it so I guess you get what you pay for. I just want one that switches on and off, no strobe or anything, just 1 button to push. maybe a rotatable bezel that will shift the bright spot width. I saw some of those "Tactical" flashlights going for $200 and up. I think I can find something a lot less expensive that will do the job, and blind the bad guy, and all that. I'd rather have nightlights throught the house so I don't advertise that I'm on the way with a high power flashlight. Those ropelights are cool and easy to string along where the wall meets the ceiling and provide plenty of light. Adds a Christmasy touch all year long. LOL
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

This one may be slightly too big for EDC without noticing but it can replace every flashlight in the house. Bright as everything. different features. It is really cool.

http://www.maglite.com/maglite_xl100_led.asp

Quote Originally Posted by thetmanski View Post
    I bought one of those cree led flashlights from LED Wholesalers, it was very bright but the on/off button quit working in about 3 months, I only paid 17.00 for it so I guess you get what you pay for. I just want one that switches on and off, no strobe or anything, just 1 button to push. maybe a rotatable bezel that will shift the bright spot width. I saw some of those "Tactical" flashlights going for $200 and up. I think I can find something a lot less expensive that will do the job, and blind the bad guy, and all that. I'd rather have nightlights throught the house so I don't advertise that I'm on the way with a high power flashlight. Those ropelights are cool and easy to string along where the wall meets the ceiling and provide plenty of light. Adds a Christmasy touch all year long. LOL
    The camping products company Coleman has several flashlights that will fit your bill. I have one called the Coleman Max. It is like 175 lumens and has one on/off push button switch on the butt end. The have them at Walmart and they are reasonably priced.
    Notables:
    Kimber Custom II 1911 .45 ACP ("How sweet it is")
    Kahr CM9 9mm - Trijicon night sights, Wolff 5# striker spring
    Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm - Meprolight night sights, BTGuiderod stainless steel captured guide rod, Ghost Ranger trigger connector, Vickers mag release
    Taurus 85 Stainless Steel .38 Special
    1977 Smith & Wesson 19-4 2.5" .357 Magnum - Wolff springs, Professional trigger job
    1955 Hi-Standard Sentinel R-100 .22lr
    1958 Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie .22lr
    Norinco SKS 7.62x39

IMO, you want simple with no blinky modes.

I have a Nitecore EX10, but it requires too much maintenance to keep it working right. It has to be clean to work 100%. . .otherwise it flips modes. Still, it is a great light

I would reccomend a 123 sized light with a high and a low mode. I use little of the in between modes, except at work. I think the quark tactical is like that. It has like 6 modes, but you set 2 to be the modes in use?? Enjoy.

Also, ideally you want a warmer LED. Your eyes are generally accustomed to 2900k around the house and more like 3200K for task lighting, if I remember correct. I think cree LED's are sometimes more like 4000K - 5000K.

Default My two choices

I have the 4Sevens Preon 2 and the Fenix LD20 - love them both, highly recommended!