Crimsontrace   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine reassembly problem

Default Magazine reassembly problem

As a new PM9 owner, I ask this question because it's not covered in the operating manual. Probably because it is considered too obvious for all but the severely challenged like me.

I had a whale of a time trying to slip back onto the magazine the base lock (pt #37) and the magazine base (pt #38). After what seemed 100 attempts and much frustration , I got it back together again.

IS THERE SOME SIMPLE TRICK THAT I'M MISSING?

Quote Originally Posted by jouesdeveau View Post
    As a new PM9 owner, I ask this question because it's not covered in the operating manual. Probably because it is considered too obvious for all but the severely challenged like me.

I had a whale of a time trying to slip back onto the magazine the base lock (pt #37) and the magazine base (pt #38). After what seemed 100 attempts and much frustration , I got it back together again.

IS THERE SOME SIMPLE TRICK THAT I'M MISSING?
    Push the spring in as far as you can. Put something like a jeweler's screwdriver thru the closest hole to the base, to retain the spring. Install the lock and the base. Remove the screwdriver. Voila!
    Notables:
    Kimber Custom II 1911 .45 ACP ("How sweet it is")
    Kahr CM9 9mm - Trijicon night sights, Wolff 5# striker spring
    Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm - Meprolight night sights, BTGuiderod stainless steel captured guide rod, Ghost Ranger trigger connector, Vickers mag release
    Taurus 85 Stainless Steel .38 Special
    1977 Smith & Wesson 19-4 2.5" .357 Magnum - Wolff springs, Professional trigger job
    1955 Hi-Standard Sentinel R-100 .22lr
    1958 Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie .22lr
    Norinco SKS 7.62x39

jouesdeveau:
    Wecome.
    Yes, getting that spring in can be like stuffing sausage.

I'm right handed and hold the mag in my left hand, stuffing in that spring with my right, while retaining the spring with my left thumb as I go.

Once you have the spring in there and add the base lock plate(bump facing up), you must push it well into the mag, before sliding on the magazine base.
    With the base partially on, you can remove you left thumb, push the it on completely, making sure the bump on the base lock is in the hole in the magazine base.

Now you have 2 ways to try next time and I've done it both ways....but, for me, it's a long way to get that spring past the 1st hole to insert something.

whew, Tilos

....but, for me, it's a long way to get that spring past the 1st hole to insert something.
    I do a bit of both. By pushing the spring in and capturing as much as you can with a rod through the witness holes, it relieves some of the pressure on your thumb. Then I finish pushing in the spring and base lock plate all the way in before sliding the mag base on. It gets easier with practice. The 8 rounds mags are a challenge because the spring is very long... like herding cats in mouse nest.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

OK then...I'll try that, now that I understand it's contains SOME of the spring.
    I have the fortune(?) of having "tree toad" thumbs:001_tt2:.
    Tilos

what ripley said is about as good as one can do, basically ur taking the pressure off of at leat 60% of the magazine spring that way, and then pushing in the rest is a breeze. If it was just as easy as pickng one's nose, then u might end up with some feed issues or failure to lock openissues due to weak sprinng. The magazine spring is what actually makes that slide lock lever work and it has to be all about timeing to. If it moves it up to slow, the slide will more than likely glide right past it. Mag springs are cheap to replace to..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Here's what works for me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofwQI77QUKQ
    Regards,
    Greg

and u make that looks so so easy!!
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Thanks Greg:

Not everyone has hands that BIG though
    Made that mag look like a 22LR mag

I'm gonna wait 'til you post from now on...saves me a lot of typing.

Tilos

Mega-thanks to all!
    My problem was not with holding the spring down in the magazine. In fact, I managed to hold the spring TOO FAR DOWN in the magazine (past the bottom-most witness hole) so that I had nothing on which to put the Base Lock while sliding the magazine base closed. I won't tell you how many times-- while trying to get the base lock onto the bottom of the magazine base-- that the Base lock simply fell into the magazine. I learned that you need the spring to push the Base lock up against the bottom of the mag base. Watching that U-Tube really helped.