Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the pipe

I have a buddy who may still carry one of those tiny .22 derringers in a velcro change purse in his pocket. I did that for a while and always felt UNPREPARED. I prefer to have mine IWB and ready to DRAW and fire. He said he should be able to spot a developing situation and dig the little pistol out. That's a fools dream. Stuff happens and happens fast. You can't possibly conceive of all of the things that could keep you from having TWO hands and the TIME to draw and RACK a round into the chamber... SUCCESSFULLY. When you're fighting for your life, second place really sucks.

I was really amused by a video one fata$$ posted on YouTube of him "demonstrating" the Israeli carry method and how fast he could draw, rack, and fire. He was walking in an open area and knew what he was going to do and had already made all of the preparations in his mind. Real life doesn't happen like that! There will most likely be distractions... other people around, and you won't be looking or even thinking about the sequence of events to draw and rack your weapon. You will be WAY behind the power curve and have no tactical advantage. You may become the proverbial deer in the headlights and freeze, or just be caught completely unprepared and not even be able to START the thought process to do the required actions.

Every millisecond can count in a life or death situation! Don't give up valuable time by leaving minimum preparation to the last second... it could very well be your last.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Please excuse the long post, but I need to give a little background first. I've only been carrying since early spring and at that time, my EDC was an M&P 9C in a Safariland OWB level-2 retention holster. An over shirt made it nearly invisible. I always carried with one in the pipe. My wife carried the same way with an identical weapon and holster. As the weather got warmer, I picked up an S&W Bodyguard 380 for Sunday carry and when I could not use an over shirt. I carried the Bodyguard in a pocket holster - and with an empty chamber. The Bodyguard is really easy to rack and it seemed faster than using the safety.

A few months ago my wife decided that the Bodyguard was a great fit for HER pocket or IWB carry so I had the opportunity to purchase a CM9. Even though racking the CM9 is substantially more difficult, I was carrying it with an empty chamber in either an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster or AIWB in a Blackhawk #5. At church one Sunday I used the restroom and learned all about the holster's lack of retention when my CM9 made a clunk in the stall. Luckily, I was alone but I felt relief that the chamber was empty. When I returned to the service, I was sure that everyone had heard the weapon fall.

We live in a very rural area and my wife and I love to take 2.5 mile walks when weather permits. On those walks, I carry the CM9 AIWB. About a week ago we were stopped by three tweakers in a beat-up truck. They said they were lost and trying to find the road off our Island. As they drove off without incident, I had a very sobering thought. If they had meant harm, a rock would have been more valuable than my CM9 the way I was carrying it. Since then, I have been carrying with one in the chamber. Except for cleaning it will remain that way. I am investigating a better AIWB holder and will probably order a PJ.

Like everyone else on this forum, the entire purpose for carrying a weapon is to protect myself and those I care about. Although it is very unlikely that I will every have to use it against a BG - but if I ever do, it MUST be ready to go.

Well, your CM9 isn't going to go off if you drop it because there is a safety that blocks the striker until the trigger is fully pressed. It is way, way hard to imagine catching the trigger on something and pulling the gun until it fired. You are carrying it in pocket holsters that cover the trigger, keep ther gun positioned properly and make it very easy to draw. The entire design concept of the Kahr trigger is so that the guns can be carried safely with one in the chamber. The concept is similar to the long double action pull on a revolver. Would you carry a revolver with the next chamber to rotate into firing position empty?
    Very interesting...

Default the

Quote Originally Posted by southsound View Post
    Please excuse the long post, but I need to give a little background first. I've only been carrying since early spring and at that time, my EDC was an M&P 9C in a Safariland OWB level-2 retention holster. An over shirt made it nearly invisible. I always carried with one in the pipe. My wife carried the same way with an identical weapon and holster. As the weather got warmer, I picked up an S&W Bodyguard 380 for Sunday carry and when I could not use an over shirt. I carried the Bodyguard in a pocket holster - and with an empty chamber. The Bodyguard is really easy to rack and it seemed faster than using the safety.

A few months ago my wife decided that the Bodyguard was a great fit for HER pocket or IWB carry so I had the opportunity to purchase a CM9. Even though racking the CM9 is substantially more difficult, I was carrying it with an empty chamber in either an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster or AIWB in a Blackhawk #5. At church one Sunday I used the restroom and learned all about the holster's lack of retention when my CM9 made a clunk in the stall. Luckily, I was alone but I felt relief that the chamber was empty. When I returned to the service, I was sure that everyone had heard the weapon fall.

We live in a very rural area and my wife and I love to take 2.5 mile walks when weather permits. On those walks, I carry the CM9 AIWB. About a week ago we were stopped by three tweakers in a beat-up truck. They said they were lost and trying to find the road off our Island. As they drove off without incident, I had a very sobering thought. If they had meant harm, a rock would have been more valuable than my CM9 the way I was carrying it. Since then, I have been carrying with one in the chamber. Except for cleaning it will remain that way. I am investigating a better AIWB holder and will probably order a PJ.

Like everyone else on this forum, the entire purpose for carrying a weapon is to protect myself and those I care about. Although it is very unlikely that I will every have to use it against a BG - but if I ever do, it MUST be ready to go.
    nice thing about ur post is that IMO u were the final say as to when you felt comfortable with one in the pipe. Until then, I would never want to push anyone into a situation "just because I or others do it anutter way. " U did well.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

My 2cents.....I had responded before on loaded chamber carry... Not changed But...what is called Israeli carry was called the SAS Draw 4years all the time they used the Browning Hi Power...
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

When the Government is wrong, it's dangerous to be right!

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter ... don't mind .
    .. and those that mind ... don't matter!

I agree with Jocko's post #84. To each his own. Experience is a great teacher. Everyone is responsible for their own comfort level and safety...and I'm not taking about a manual safety.

Hey Bawanna, The Yakima incident happened about a month ago, and the fuel stop was right off the expressway and it looked respectable. But that doesn't always matter. BG have vehicles too.

Might as well just carry a rock without one in the chamber. Just think you get to avoid all the paperwork to get your Permit and they are a lot cheaper.

Brand new just broken in CM9 has been my carry for the last few weeks- but always with an empty chamber. Just wasn't quite ready for that bullet sitting right in there in the pipe. It wasn't until I heard the comparison of the Kahr DAO trigger to a revolver trigger that it clicked for me. I had carried my SP101 with all the chambers full. What's the difference? Nothing really. I figure I owe it to my family to have that one in the pipe to give me and mine the absolute best chance at survival. Today my CM9 is in the pocket with that one and most important round sitting right in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by philsanchez View Post
    Today my CM9 is in the pocket with that one and most important round sitting right in the chamber.
    And hopefully in a holster that covers the trigger. I find an Uncle Mikes #3 to be one of the best $10 purchases I have made. I don't believe it is the one that is recommended from the size chart but it fits my CM9 like a glove.