Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Can we revisit the 380 carry ammo question?

Not being much of an experimenter, I and my guns like Hornady CD. I don't worry a lot about expansion, but its seems to do that. Its such a good shooting and loading round and I've had no problems with it in 380 or 9mm, in any of my 3 handguns, ever. A lot of people were discouraged by the Ammo Quest series, but I think his result with the Hornady was an outlier. Like choosing a Camry instead of a smart car or something, Hornady is CD just a safe kind of boring reliable round. Price has come down a little lately too.

I like the idea of the xtreme penetrator (not the name) but I want to wait for it to prove out over time and become widely available.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

The Hornady Custom XTP is the round that favors penetration with moderate expansion. The Critical Defense will give you much shallower penetration. I don't trust it in short-barreled pistols like the CW380.
    Draw me not without provocation, sheath me not without honor.

Quote Originally Posted by McE View Post
    Anyone carry the Lehigh products? Either Max Expansion or Xtreme Penetrator?

They make special notes about Kahrs, but mention only trouble is with first round loading. If you carry hot then it shouldn't really be a reason to miss out on seemingly promising ammo.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/shop/am...unition-detail
    I had failure to return to battery issues mid-magazine with Lehigh XP in my CW380 but I also had that problem with Federal Hydra Shok. I never had a jam loading the first round.

I really like the XP. I think it maximizes the effectiveness of a pocket 380 - adequate penetration and a wound channel larger than round nosed FMJ. I sold my CW380 because it wouldn't reliably cycle my preferred choices of ammo.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I've always shot what the gun prefers. What I think is of little consequence. The problem with today's generation is that they expect instant gratification. Any gun can be made to function properly. In most cases it takes very little time or effort. All that you have to be is smarter than the gun.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    I've always shot what the gun prefers. What I think is of little consequence. The problem with today's generation is that they expect instant gratification. Any gun can be made to function properly. In most cases it takes very little time or effort. All that you have to be is smarter than the gun.
    geez christ, Muggsy, u ACTUALLY made some sense this time. Kudos to Muggsy. Lets all give Muggsy the clap. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I use Hornady Critical Defense simply because A) it's high-quality ammo, B) in .380 it functions the most reliably of any JHP round I've tried (0 malfunctions attributable to the ammo so far), and C) it's readily available at most gun shops I frequent. In the spirit of what muggsy just said, I couldn't care less if some tester claims that XXX load is better until I've had a chance to shoot several boxes of it for reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Muggsy, what is up with bumping up a 4 month old post? Have you been on a sabbatical? LOL You've got mucho seniority. So I would never be critical … just wondering what's up when start reading and it is an old post.