Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W dead - yes or no

Default .40 S&W dead - yes or no

Was poking around a local gun shop, shooting the breeze with the old guy behind the counter. He tells me that .40 S&W is a dead caliber, but I can’t remember his justification for saying so. As far as I know, my Department (retired in 2012) and most others around here still carry the .40. Thoughts?

Not dead by a long shot!
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

I think the newer, improved 9mm ammo has generated the the idea that 40 S&W is dying. Personally, I prefer 45 ACP, but I doubt that 40 S&W will go away anytime soon.

I heard from my LGS guy that the internet hoopla is the FBI has talked about going back to 9mm because agents shoot it better and the masses are following after that and dumping their .40 cal weapons. He had some nice metal frame used .40 cal Sig somethings sitting on his shelf for $400 and he said there was no interest because they were.40’s. He still carries his 40 cal Glock though. If they had been 9mm’s I would have bought one myself.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I think it is here to stay, but the market is shrinking, it will end up like .357 magnum, still sold, but not a major market share. I doubt many new .40 cal pistols are released in the future. In my neck of the woods, .40 cal pistols are cheap, not much market for them. I don't own any myself. I've shot a buddy's a few times, never thrilled me. Always been a .45 guy, but I have bought a few 9mm in the recent past. Cheaper ammo being the driver.
    Local gun shops have pretty much stopped taking .40's in trade, because they can't get rid of them. If you are a .40 fan, then now is a good time to fill your safe.

I recall during the Sandy Hook fiasco, .40 was the only ammo on the shelf in many stores.

-Ken
    NRA Benefactor

A few years back then ATK came into our range with a few hundred pounds of ballistic gel and a lot of ammo to do a demonstration. The cliff notes were, they can produce almost any caliber that will penetrate and expand to a specification. They at that time told us they were capable of providing 9mm ammo that would equal the current 40 cal specifications and at a much reduced cost. The proved it with their gel tests. Since that time many agencies have been going back to the nine for its benefits of lower cost, shoot-ability, and increased capacity in a sidearm.
    Interesting side note was their testing of 380 which also has come a long way in performance.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

I own one 9mm...………………………….the rest are .40 cal...……………….my personal preference for carry. I don't pay attention to any gel tests. Next time your attacked by a slab of gel, let me know. When I hear about the FBI doing this and LE doing that...……...half of them can't shoot period. They pull their firearm out once a year for qualifying, and put it back in the holster for another year. I respect the badge and the job, I've also seen their shooting skills. If you want to punch holes in paper, I'm sure that you can be a bit more accurate with 9mm. If you want to protect yourself, the bigger the better. Start at the beltline and work your way up. If you have to go down in caliber to be accurate, you can't shoot period. They just had something on the news the other day about 2 plain clothes sitting in a car, when a guy came up and started shooting. 9mm I believe. 25 shots in to the car. Both officers will survive and one even managed to get a shot/shots off. I'll stick with .40 or larger. Every one else can worry about being accurate on paper.

The one I wear the most is my P380... around the house and for max concealment, but my EDC and the one I want in most situations, is my P40 DLC/NS with the Kahr ported barrel and Remington Golden Sabers... 6+1+7. I love my P40... second one, too. I have a G23C-3, too, but more .45's... P45, G30S, and G21 SF. The P40 is just a tiny bit more comfortable to carry IWB for me.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Default The Gun Pundits also said that the 38 Super was dead too.

I love my 38 Super. It is alive & well too.

Regrding the 40 S&W, it is still a viable caliber.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    The one I wear the most is my P380... around the house and for max concealment, but my EDC and the one I want in most situations, is my P40 DLC/NS with the Kahr ported barrel and Remington Golden Sabers... 6+1+7. I love my P40... second one, too. I have a G23C-3, too, but more .45's... P45, G30S, and G21 SF. The P40 is just a tiny bit more comfortable to carry IWB for me.
    Loved my P40 too. Thing ate anything and ran great. Still breaking in my P45 but I have to admit that I like the recoil feel of the P45 much more than the P40. I don't think the .40 cal is dead though. I did have to port the P40 to tame the muzzle flip to my liking. Come to think about it, the P40 is one of the only guns I sort of regret selling.
    I am the Living Man