Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Different slidestop/takedown lever/pin on K's

Default Different slidestop/takedown lever/pin on K's

Anyone notice the slide stop levers on the K series guns don't have the half-moon shaped dog and corresponding notch on the slide?
    Instead the slide is notched to allow the base of the lever to slide out.
    Also they are missing alignment notches on the slide and frame to aid in side removal.

Anyone know why it appears that only the K9 and K40 guns are like this? The means of retention of the levers is different too, and this might have something to do with it. But the absence of the alignment marks doesn't really make sense. Of cours the alignment marks have always been on the wrong side of the gun, but that's a different matter.

The retention in my opinion is 10x better on the K's. Since the notch and the base of the lever have to line up, you don't really need any marks. I too was consternated when I first noticed that and somebody even thought they got a blem with no alignment mark.
    I'm ok with it myself. Don't hurt anything.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Does the pin on the K's remain hard to push out, or does it ease with time and repetitive break-downs?
    The reason I've always thought they were on the wrong side is because the pins on new Kahrs, and some older ones, are a bear to push out. And so trying to look at the head of the pin to push it out with something while keeping the slide in the right place can be a pain.

I line it up and give it a little tap with a plastic hammer or screwdriver handle. Once past the first little jump, it's easy peasy.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'm always happy to see mine get easier as they break in. Because keeping the alignment as you turn it over to tap the pin is the challenge. Even with the hand strength I have remaining from my constuction days it can be tough keeping these little machines in line Of course if I still had the callouses I used to have the pin would give up its position quicker.

So apparently there are two styles used on the K9? One with the slide cutout for the base of the pin and one for the half-moon dog on the lever? This is kind of curious to me because even on Kahr's website the pictures of the K9 do not show the half-moon cutout on the slides. Any idea when they changed over? I know that sometimes Marketing illustrations are not always accurate, in any line of production and I guess this must be the case here.

MK/(K9 New Style) Black Slide Release Lever

K9 Black Slide Stop

Interesting, I never noticed that. I must have the earlier one without the little half moon. The one with the half moon probably has reference marks on the slide and frame although it's still not needed. One just lines up the little half moon instead of the base of the release.
    Sadly in my opinion the T's have the other type of retention with the goofy little multi function spring and tiny screw on the left side. At least the tiny little screw screws into metal so that's some benefit.
    I'll try to take a picture of how I hold the gun when I remove the pin, not sure I can but what the heck.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Here's how I hold mine. I use both hands to position, then hold with my weak hand (left) while I tap the pin, very lightly, doesn't take much but I can never push it out without some sort of tool.
    The first pic is for the one without the half moon, so I only have to pull back far enough to clear the front of the pin or the pin itself.

Both mine are early models so I don't have one with the half moon on the back end of the lever but I hold the same way, just have to line up the back. Slightly harder to hold but not difficult at all. When taking this picture I continued to hold the slide while I reposition and put the camera down, not hard at all.

I do the same pretty much for 1911's and others as well.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Well, I recently bought a July 1995 K9 (AD08xx). It's the first Kahr I've had which I have real trouble getting the pin out of. I hold it like you're holding yours but it still manages to creep just enough while I'm turning it around to tap the pin to prevent me from getting it started. It might be because I replaced the recoil spring with a fresh one and it's still very strong?

So I built this last night. Makes it much easier. Guess I need to man up.
    I drilled the top hole to the exact depth required to get the pin's base dog centered on the notch. The barrel descends down into that hole while the muzzle end of the slide stays on top of the block. The bottom hole is just to allow the guide rod room enough to prevent the slide from going back enough. Without that bottom hole the slide would stop too soon because the guide rod would bottom out before the barrel would. I could have made the bottom one no deeper than 1/8" and it would have worked fine.

Oh, and thanks for the pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a fine invention. I've heard of some setting up a punch in a vise and then holding the slide back while pushing on the punch. Your invention beats that considerable.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan