Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield vs. PM9

Quote Originally Posted by mser View Post
    This was a response to a post on the S&W forum. Nobody in the thread mentioned anything about the PM9 until this post popped up. The post and my response are below in italics.

Originally Posted by XXXXXXXXXXXX
    OP must be a Kahr PM9 owner. I can see why their panties are twisted. S&W came out with a better gun with a better trigger with an extra round capacity that is just slightly bigger for $250 less.

My Response -
    I happen to be a long time and extremely satisfied owner of a PM9. I also have a set of his and hers Shields. The Shield a better gun than the PM9? Subjective at best. Depends on who you ask. Answer is strictly opinion. Shield trigger bettter than the PM9 trigger? Again, subjective. Although it is indeed quite long, I personally prefer the smooth trigger of my PM9 to the gritty trigger of my Shield, which will be remedied by the addition of parts obtained from Apex Tactical as were the triggers of my 9C and 45C. One extra round capacity while just slightly bigger and for less money? No doubt. Both great pistols. Quality, reliability and performance. Although I have several to choose from, the PM9 has been my favorite carry pistol for many years. Will it be replaced by the Shield? Absolutely not. Will it have to move over to make room for the NKOTB? Absolutely. I welcome the addition.

I feel fortunate to be able to have both pistols in my collection. The Shield is indeed slightly larger. Fully loaded with Speer GDHP my PM9 weighs approximately 19 oz. while the Shield weighs approximately 24 oz.

And finally, welcome to the Kahr Forum Dooger. As stated in previous posts, I'm sure you'll love your PM9. It is indeed a top quality pistol and there is a wealth of knowledge and experience from a lot of the people in here.
    Good response! However, a more accurate comparison would be the Shield vs the CW9. Their size and price are about equal. Which leaves the smooth trigger of the Kahr putting it over the top. I won't mention the unwanted safety on the Shield. Opps, did I say that out loud?
    Notables:
    Kimber Custom II 1911 .45 ACP ("How sweet it is")
    Kahr CM9 9mm - Trijicon night sights, Wolff 5# striker spring
    Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm - Meprolight night sights, BTGuiderod stainless steel captured guide rod, Ghost Ranger trigger connector, Vickers mag release
    Taurus 85 Stainless Steel .38 Special
    1977 Smith & Wesson 19-4 2.5" .357 Magnum - Wolff springs, Professional trigger job
    1955 Hi-Standard Sentinel R-100 .22lr
    1958 Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie .22lr
    Norinco SKS 7.62x39

My disclaimer... I have owned 3 M&Ps in 45 and 9mm and I think the 9c is a great gun. S&W is one of my favorite manufacturers. I have held a Shield, but did not buy it and have not shot it. I own 2 CM9s and carry both the 9c and CM9.

Comparing the Shield to the PM9 gives the Shield an automatic price advantage. How about comparing it to the CM9? Then the trigger becomes subjective. The Shield is the biggest and heaviest (or one of the top 2) in the small 9mm category. You CANNOT pocket carry it unless you are HUGE. It also weighs a ton. Yes, the Shield has one more round in it, but i can carry an extra mag for my CM9 and still have less weight on my body with 13 rounds. The Shield is slightly slimmer, which is very important to carrying, but it is also quite a bit taller.

The Shield is actually pretty close to the PM45 in size and weight. In fact, the PM45 has a shorter height and a shorter OAL. The PM45 also weighs less with 5+1 in 45ACP. The Shield wins in thickness, of course, which is important to carrying. THe Shield also wins in price.

I just don't understand what niche the Shield fits. People will run out and buy it because it was hyped and it is from the M&P line, but I predict that the excitement will decrease quickly. It is too big for the small 9mm line and cannot even be considered a pocket 9. It isn't even the smallest gun in the small 45 category.

I like the M&P triggers without the kits, and they are great with the kit, but the kit costs money too. I love the kahr triggers and they keep getting better over time. In my subjective and objective view, the Kahr is King.

Just as a point of reference on the Shield, it is only 2 oz lighter than a Glock 19 unloaded, yet holds 8 fewer rounds with a flush mag. As far as weight goes M&P missed the boat for sub compacts. I researched every available 9mm sub compact carry option and compared size, weight, capacity, quality, price, etc. Then I went out and bought a CM9. Had the Shield been available at that time I still would have bought a CM9.
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Molon Labe

It is amazng to me that most all the big names have come out with a sub 9 and yet kahr still prevals most all the time in weight and size. It should make most kahr owners appreciate the design and simp[licity of their guns. Kahrs trigger system, well u kinow!!!
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I think if you compare it to the Kahr that is closest in size, the CW9, the Kahr wins. You'd have to spend extra money on a trigger kit to improve on the Shield's trigger. No such expenditure is needed with the Kahr though a 3 pack of 5 lb striker springs is $7 from Wolff's.

The Shield seems to be a fine weapon, but the back of the grip is sort of narrow and I wonder how that feels for aiming and recoil, compared to the CW9. Hopefully, some comparison tests will be coming forth.
    Very interesting...

Thank you all for bringing me back to reality. I was hotter than two hamsters humping in a wool sock for a shield. I almost paid full retail for one a couple of days ago. My local LGS sells them for $399 but he is out of stock. The reality is, when I carry, I want the lightest, smallest gun I can control. My PM9 fits everything in that category. It shoots with any gun in my collection and I carry it daily. You all have helped delayed my purchase. I have stepped away from the ledge and am taking deep breaths.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

2 weeks ago I walked into the LGS with the intent to buy a subcompact 9. I looked at both the Shield and CM9. The shield was quite a bit bigger. It was actually taller than a G26. Yes, the Glock may be a little wider, but as we all know, it is the grip that is usually responsible for printing. I think it is easier to conceal the G26 IWB than the shield and you gain 3 more rounds. I have no need for the shield. Too big to pocket carry and it would be questionable for ankle carry. I walked out with a CM9 and couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    "Will it have to move over to make room for the NKOTB? Absolutely. I welcome the addition."

WTH is a NKOTB?
    I was wondering too. Thanks PB....

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    It is amazng to me that most all the big names have come out with a sub 9 and yet kahr still prevals most all the time in weight and size. It should make most kahr owners appreciate the design and simp[licity of their guns. Kahrs trigger system, well u kinow!!!
    This is so TRUE!

I was just saying this the other day. How happy I am that I picked my Kahrs and have been able to use them for the past couple years now.

I can't believe the other big manufactures keep missing the mark set by KAHR. They all knew way ahead of time (Years actually) what they had to beat to be the best small 9mm..
    They knew the specs, what... size/weight/cap./trigger/safety/etc. that Kahr has.......BUT, They still couldn't /didn't build their new guns to beat Kahr!!!
    It amazed me every time a new Co. made a big f'ing deal announcing a new small 9mm(Ruger, Sig, SA, etc. and now S&W) and I would get excited at first... and then find the specs. and every time I found out I already had a better, smaller, lighter gun in my two Kahrs (a CW9 and my CM9.)

Really, I am not a fanboy and would have bought any QUALITY brand small 9mm that would top my Kahr's features. But time and time again they just do not.

This is Kahrs focus... small, lightweight, high quality concealed carry weapons. And they do it better then ANY other gun manufacture.

Guess I'm gonna be the unpopular one here. I have a PM9. I went to rent a P9 last Saturday... I can't carry my normal IWB gun due to health problems. I wanted a gun just slightly bigger than a PM9... I thought the Kahr P9 might be it... I was hoping the little extra size would make a difference in recoil.

To me, it didn't really. As an afterthought, I rented the Shield. I shot it and loved it. I tracked one down and got it on Monday. I'll be shooting it in the next couple of days.

If it works with no issues (as I expect it to), I will be selling my Kahr PM9 next week, probably. With the shorter magazine, the gun is almost the size of the PM9. And, even with the extended mag, it still fits well in my cargo pants pocket