Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CW380--Let's Try This Again

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    For the cost of 800 bullets in 380 ACP you could have bought another holster and magazines for a different brand gun. I have 2 Kahrs in 9mm that work great but I would never buy a Kahr 380 until they get one that works 100% out of the box and I think that is several years down the line. So I have jumped ship for a 380.
    Like I said I have had several 380s...TCP738, Hi Point CF-380, Ruger LCP and a Bersa Thunder, so I thought a Kahr with its reputation would be a steal when I found the CW 380 on sale at Tombstone Tactical for $209.79. Like you said ......the cost of 800 rds of 380 ammo, about 40 Pwr"Ball SD rounds (when I have several hundred rounds of 9mm already) I could have gotten the CM9 on sale at RuralKing for $279 and had a better deal!!!

A lot of speculation as to why some Kahr 380s don't run 100%, but how does one explain the ones that do?

My first CW380 will get to 1500 rounds this weekend - all on the original recoil springs. It hasn't gotten any easier to rack the slide at all, and I have a low round count (300) CW380 to compare it to.

At some point - I'll replace the recoil springs "just because". Probably at the 2000 round mark, but there's zero indications right now that its necessary.

It is possible to get a Kahr 380 that runs 100% out of the box (not counting the Fiocchi/Perfecta thing). If my Sister's LCP II "experience" doesn't pan out, I'll be getting CW380 #3. Good karma here in Kahrville.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    I've said this many times before, but the reliability of mine improved significantly once I replaced the magazine springs and followers with MagGuts kits. I haven't had any misfeeds since.
    That's what I've got in mine…I wanted to give it the best chance to succeed from the get-go.

Don't get me wrong....after doing the extractor mod, the operation is outstanding. If, a jam would occur...well there would be my problem. Still looking for a good deal on a CM9, if I find one I'll buy it and sell the CM380 because I actually do like the Kahr brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    For the cost of 800 bullets in 380 ACP you could have bought another holster and magazines for a different brand gun. I have 2 Kahrs in 9mm that work great but I would never buy a Kahr 380 until they get one that works 100% out of the box and I think that is several years down the line. So I have jumped ship for a 380.
    I'll shoot anyway, so I don't count the rounds shot through the one that's had a problem as a loss. Actually its not a bad idea to get practice clearing malfunctions. I'm not going to carry it until its 100% but range time/expense is about the same. In the meantime I have another one to carry.

Of course, if were my only carry pistol I'd be frustrated with the delay.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    I'll shoot anyway, so I don't count the rounds shot through the one that's had a problem as a loss. Actually its not a bad idea to get practice clearing malfunctions. I'm not going to carry it until its 100% but range time/expense is about the same. In the meantime I have another one to carry.

Of course, if were my only carry pistol I'd be frustrated with the delay.
    I agree with this. I put a lot of rounds through a CW380 and a Sig P290RS that didn't work out but enjoyed the shooting nonetheless.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    A lot of speculation as to why some Kahr 380s don't run 100%, but how does one explain the ones that do?
    Statistically speaking, enough of them do that Kahr isn't worried about it. Also, a lot of them are fired maybe 200 rounds then put away or only carried. Heck, you and I both know that there are people out there who carry guns they've never even fired!

Just a quick rundown for folks with new Kahrs on how to make one reliable enough for defense:

1. Do a complete cleaning and lube before anything else. If you find any burrs or sharp edges on the rails remove them with a needle file or emery paper.
    2. Lock the slide open and leave it that way for a day or two before you go to the range.
    3. Check your extractor and modify it as per the sticky thread in this section.
    4. Invest in Mag-Guts kits for the magazines and a Lakeline striker.
    5. Purchase extra recoil and striker springs, and plan on replacing them every 1,000 rounds.
    6. Avoid cheap underpowered ammo, WWB, Fiocchi or anything with a flat bullet nose.
    7. Once you find ammo that it likes, stick with it and keep your gun clean and well-lubed. Kahr .380s definitely do not like being run dirty or dry. When cleaning pay particular attention to the striker channel and extractor groove.

If you do all of that there's a 90% chance your Kahr .380 will run reliably. It sounds like a lot of time, money and energy just to make it work, but if you're patient and successful you'll have a tiny mighty-mouse that shoots like a full-sized service pistol.

OK, one problem solved, now which one do I buy? Sold the CW380 to my neighbor this morning. He liked the size and said it is exactly what he wanted to throw in the center console of his car. Now CM9 or CW9?? Why does the CM9 have a different recoil assembly than the CT or CW? I just made a decision, ordered the CM9093HM CM9 Stainless Steel Slide comes with Holster and 2 Magazines......what I should have ordered to begin with!!

Nice Mark I think you'll like the CM9. I have MK9 which is similar in size and is pleasure to shoot. I like carrying the 6 round mags for it. Flat base plate in the gun and the extra mag with the Pierce pinky grip extension.
    Kahr MK9, Kahr CW9, Kahr P380, Kel-Tec P-3AT, Glock 17, Remington RM380, Sarsilmaz B6PC

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I purchased a Glock 42 last week, and finally got it out to the range for a test run. Decided, last minute, to throw my CW380 in my range bag, too.

Long story short, most of my time was taken up getting accustomed to the Glock, but I did manage to put a few magazines of Blazer FMJ through the Kahr. Unlike my last time out, this session was drama-free. So either we're making progress here, or my Kahr just really prefers FMJ. If the latter is the case, I'll need to investigate which FMJ rounds make viable carry ammo. Sadly, I know Fiocchi is a no-go for most CW380s, but I'm sure there are other good options out there.