Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new

Thread: Removing the 380 slide slide back plate. How do you do it? Here is how I do it.

Default Removing the 380 slide slide back plate. How do you do it? Here is how I do it.

So, I have taken the slide back plate off of the slide of both of My Kahr .380 pistols many times now, and man it can be a pain. Removing the Slide Back Plate requires you to keep the Striker Spring Guide forward against striker spring pressure, and out of the recess in the back plate. This generally requires 3 hands, a donkey, and a Priest.

Here is how I figured out how to do it with a tiny screw driver and the innards of a Bic pen.

(forgive the yellow fingernails, as I made chicken with a whole lot of Turmeric tonight)

1. Put on safety glasses. Place the innards of the Bic pen in your mouth (this is that third hand I was referring to.) Take a small screwdriver and place it on the last couple of coils of the Striker Spring and pull the spring toward the chamber. This will also bring the Striker Spring Guide out of the plate recess. Hold it there.

2. With your mouth, place the end of the Bic pen innards between the Striker Spring Guide and the Slide Back Plate, and push it all the way in. This will create the gap needed to free the Slide Back Plate.

3. Take the small screwdriver and put it in the small hole on the Slide Back Plate (as far to the side of the slide as possible as the area you need to depress is very small. Depress the small Extractor Pin Back in while sliding the Slide Back Plate partially free and STOP. Once the Slide Back Plate is partially free, you can remove the Bic pen innards. Place your thumb over the area and prepare to control and capture the Striker Spring Guide as it will be ready to shoot out like a rocket as the Slide Back Plate is removed.

Last edited by gun papa; 02-11-2016 at 11:36 PM.

That's a interesting and inventive solution to the problem we all face when removing the rear plate. Here's another solution. I call it the Ripley Retractor. A simple piece of wire clothes hanger cut to fit and retain the spring safely while the plate is removed and after it is off. Easy to make and it works well. Keeps all pressure off the plate and keeps parts from flying around until you're ready to ease them out.

Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Nice!

Guess these methods will work with all caliber poly Kahrs? Dimensions may be different with the coat hanger tool. I've never taken slide apart, so I'll file this for future reference.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Some people use the slide release rounded tip where you use the Bic pen ink refill. It's about the same size, and you always have it sitting right there when you need it.

Guess these methods will work with all caliber poly Kahrs? Dimensions may be different with the coat hanger tool.
    The Ripley Retractor works with all Kahr models, poly or steel. Yes, the the length depends on the model. One sacrificial coat hanger should make all anyone would need.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    The Ripley Retractor works with all Kahr models, poly or steel. Yes, the the length depends on the model. One sacrificial coat hanger should make all anyone would need.
    I referenced the Ripley Retractor in the installation instructions for the .380 Striker. I forgot the reference though and just called it a "coat hanger tool." Do you think non-Kahrtalk folks would be confused by calling it the Ripley Retractor? I suppose this will all show up in Google...
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Yeah, I just tried and the Kahrtalk thread from 2012 was the top of my Google search for "Ripley Retractor."
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...