Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can You Really Prevent Unintentional Discharges?

Self defense is an extremely personal choice and what one chooses to carry is even more of a personal choice.

I do not feel that long and heavy trigger pulls are conducive to safety. Instead I think those encourage unsafe weapons handling and make precise hits harder to obtain.

One of the reasons I have returned to Kahrs for carry is that the single action pull mimics my snub nosed revolvers' double action pull. As I will continue to carry a revolver I hope the consistency will be helpful. *The Kahr is not a true "double action" as the slide does 1/2 the striker cocking. The trigger pull only mimics a double action.

When it comes to full-size handguns, the only ones I desire to carry are the 1911 and Browning Hi Power breeds. One type of action I used to be welded to but now have no desire at all for, is the Walther PPK / P38-inspired double action first shot/single action following shots, AKA "DA/SA." I now prefer a consistent trigger pull each time.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Like_Turtles View Post
    Self defense is an extremely personal choice and what one chooses to carry is even more of a personal choice.

I do not feel that long and heavy trigger pulls are conducive to safety. Instead I think those encourage unsafe weapons handling and make precise hits harder to obtain.

One of the reasons I have returned to Kahrs for carry is that the single action pull mimics my snub nosed revolvers' double action pull. As I will continue to carry a revolver I hope the consistency will be helpful. *The Kahr is not a true "double action" as the slide does 1/2 the striker cocking. The trigger pull only mimics a double action.

When it comes to full-size handguns, the only ones I desire to carry are the 1911 and Browning Hi Power breeds. One type of action I used to be welded to but now have no desire at all for, is the Walther PPK / P38-inspired double action first shot/single action following shots, AKA "DA/SA." I now prefer a consistent trigger pull each time.

You are right...it is all about personal choice.

Given that...does it not concern you that you have chosen some pistols that require only a trigger pull and some that require you to first disengage a safety to make them operable?

I think this discussion could go for eons.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    You are right...it is all about personal choice.

Given that...does it not concern you that you have chosen some pistols that require only a trigger pull and some that require you to first disengage a safety to make them operable?
    I have wondered about that and if I would fail to disengage a safety at the worst possible moment.

I have wondered about that and if I would fail to disengage a safety at the worst possible moment.
    It is--literally and figuratively--my worst nightmare.

I come to this with an admitted bias. I learned to shoot with DA revolvers, and later "graduated" to DAO semi pistols. I was a federal agent for over 30 years, and our service pistols were all DAO. So when I served as a range instructor, I also taught that manual of arms to current, new, and aspiring agents. It is part of my DNA. At this point, SA with a safety is like trying to teach me Mandarin.

Now, there are plenty of SA pistols that I would, in theory, love to own and shoot. But I wouldn't consider doing so unless I spent A LOT of hours at the range retraining my muscle memory, and also committed to not shooting DA or striker/no safety pistols ever, ever again.

I fully recognize and acknowledge that my brain is small and faulty, and I see no need to confuse it unnecessarily.

There is no way of knowing (for sure) short of actually experiencing needing to fire the next time I carry my 1911 but I don't think I am going to forget. I've handled, shot, competed, and practiced draws and dry firing with the Hi power and 1911 so much, I don't think I'd forget their manual of arms. I could be wrong but I don't really worry about that.

I seem to recall (during the last range session Tuesday night) that I instinctively dropped a 1911-type safety with my left thumb, while shooting my Kahr P9 Covert. That may not be a bad habit to have considering my somewhat varied carry battery selection.

Now, what I did discontinue, was having a Browning BDM as part of my home defense ready alert. For those of you not familiar, the BDM's safety/decocker worked totally different from a Browning HP/1911. So pushing the decocker down actually put the weapon onto "safe." I retired that otherwise fine design to the safe.

There is no way of knowing (for sure) short of actually experiencing needing to fire the next time I carry my 1911 but I don't think I am going to forget. I've handled, shot, competed, and practiced draws and dry firing with the Hi power and 1911 so much, I don't think I'd forget their manual of arms. I could be wrong but I don't really worry about that.

I seem to recall (during the last range session Tuesday night) that I instinctively dropped a 1911-type safety with my left thumb, while shooting my Kahr P9 Covert. That may not be a bad habit to have considering my somewhat varied carry battery selection.

Now, what I did discontinue, was having a Browning BDM as part of my home defense ready alert. For those of you not familiar, the BDM's safety/decocker worked totally different from a Browning HP/1911. So pushing the decocker down actually put the weapon onto "safe." I retired that otherwise fine design to the safe.
    Sounds like the manual of arms is something with which you are entirely familiar.

With me, it would be more of a "old dog, new tricks" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Sounds like the manual of arms is something with which you are entirely familiar.

With me, it would be more of a "old dog, new tricks" thing.
    I doubt a man of your experience would forget either.

Thank you for implying I am not old.

You know, we got this one pretty off-topic!

Can you prevent unintentional discharges? YES. First off, there are no "accidental/unintentional" discharges, there are only negligent discharges. It's like an x-trooper told me. "The only way you have a car accident is if a tree falls onto your car......most 'accidents' are 'crashes' because you did something you shouldn't have."

Gun safety rules overlap....following just the most basic will prevent anything serious from happening.

Action type has no effect on negligence....it's all operator error.