Xssights   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Kahr Problems

Default Kahr Problems

I own two Kahr pistols. A MK9 (with 400 rounds) and a P380(with 300 rounds). I was very hesitant to purchase both because of research that I did on the internet both times. Good thing I don't buy into the BS that generally is written on the internet.

I truly believe that Kahr pistols are the most misunderstood gun on the market today. I see them as a small high performance somewhat tempermental gun that to get to operate correctly you need to pay special attention. They are probably not a good gun for a first time owner or an inexperienced gun owner.

Which brings me to my special attention point. My MK9 was my first gun and I had numerous issues to start out with the slide locking open in middle of the magazine. This was solved by making sure that my thumb did not hit the slide release problem solved .. but wait I still had the same problem. After looking closely at the way the magazine was setup if you do not watch and make sure that every bullet is put in the magazine tightly towards the back it will sometimes give you a FTF. This especially is a problem when you load the gun with one in the chamber then eject the magazine to put another bullet in the magazine. I normally unload the magazine and reload the entire magazine to make sure all of the bullets are tight.

Can I prove that the FTF issue is attributed to these two problems, no I can't but that brings me to when I purchased my P380.

From day one I have not had one issue with my P380 because I have made sure that the two problems listed above did not become an issue on this gun. I was at the range on Tuesday and as I was loading my P380 magazine I noticed that one bullet that I put in did not go to the end and so I thought I would experiment and see if I could get a FTF and sure enough it happened.

Just my opinion but based on my own past experiences most of the problems associated with my Kahrs have been self induced and if you take the time to make sure you are shooting the gun without hitting the slide lever and loading of the magazine the correct way you will solve alot of the problems associated with these exceptionally accurate and very high quality guns.

Just my opinion.

Very well said Pete14. I agree with every word of it. As we've noticed quite frequently the gun is usually the first thing that gets blamed. Very easy to create a bum rap for a good gun.
    Many of us here have experience trials and tribulations, many including trips back to the factory to work out issues and yet still appreciate the quality of these little guns.
    Others extend no effort and write them off as junk and move on. These are the same folks that tell the whole world how they feel.
    Often times just buying a cheap box of ammo causes issues once again attributed to the guns downfalls because it works in my 20 year old whistlepoop magnum.

Good post.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

when I first started shooting a friend of mine told me to slap the magazine against my hand a couple times to make sure all the rounds are against the rear of the mag, now it's a habit I always do
    K40 Stainless (traded to) -> PM9 (sold to fund) -> Ruger GP100 Blue 4"...now Kahrless

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

when I first started shooting a friend of mine told me to slap the magazine against my hand a couple times to make sure all the rounds are against the rear of the mag, now it's a habit I always do
    Agreed 100%. Learned to tap the mag that way. Good thing for Kahrs. I've never had one failure during dry fire practice...haha. Seriously, I prepped my PM40 like Jocko recommended, racked it till I was blue and ran the required break in ammo through her. Never had a failure. But I am aware that failures occur from reading the posts and reports on Kahr. Either I'm lucky, or I'm lucky I selected Kahr.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I consider the PROPPER PREPPING OF YOUR NEW KAHR alot like insect repellant. If you spray yourself before you go in the woods and no mosquitos bite you then you really don't know if the repellant worked or whether there was no mosquitos around. BUT DO YOU REALLY CARE.??

Prepping of your kahr or any semi most of the time is never needed BUT DO YOU CARE???
    Last edited by jocko; 01-27-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

good info

Quote Originally Posted by eastenn View Post

What about carrying the gun? Won't this cause rounds to move around inside the mag that's already in the gun, and will this cause FTFs?

Quote Originally Posted by NoJustHappyToSeeYou View Post
    What about carrying the gun? Won't this cause rounds to move around inside the mag that's already in the gun, and will this cause FTFs?
    I think the weight of the spring holds tight enough to keep them from moving around under normal activity, especially with a full mag
    K40 Stainless (traded to) -> PM9 (sold to fund) -> Ruger GP100 Blue 4"...now Kahrless

well, not only "normal activity" i've rode fourwheelers then shot with no problems..so i don't think them moving around while being carried should be a concern for you

I agree that there usually isn't an issue with the mag in the gun. Whenever possible I give my spare mags a little rap prior to insertion into the gun but in a mag pouch they are usually in place and ready to go.

I've checked this during practice sessions as I mentioned before shooting what I have in the gun already and sometimes my spare mags also, both with a tap and right out of the pouch. Never had a problem either way.

A mag carried loose might be another story.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."