Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace

Thread: front sight loose

Default front sight loose

Hey all, my front sight comes about a mm or two loose, vertically, when i rack it a few times or shoot it. What can i do about this? Would super glue work?

Quote Originally Posted by jthaanum View Post
    Hey all, my front sight comes about a mm or two loose, vertically, when i rack it a few times or shoot it. What can i do about this? Would super glue work?
    Your front sight on what? Yer a little short on details.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Some kind of threadlocker might work... depending on the pistol. If it's a "C" model then you have plastic FS and no dovetail there. most threadlockers advise against using with plastic. I just installed Big Dots on my P40 and they included some reddish threadlocker for sealing the dovetailed sights in place. The rear has two set screws and was loose until they were tightened, then threadlocked.

At the range Wednesday, my new Ruger MK3 22/45 front sight loosened up and the ramp sight turned 90° to the right... ... like... what's wrong with this picture!
    I plan on taking the screws to the sights loose, cleaning the threads and using blue locktite to threadlock those... steel on steel.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

CM or CW evidently. I suspect super glue would work from underneath. Replacements are available with screwed in or staked metal attachments. Not terribly expensive.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Oh ya sorry, on my new cw9. Only two hundred shots through it too!

I haven't dealt with those, but maybe someone has had this problem. I could even see epoxy used in this case, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the barrel/slide action and lockup. When someone upgrades the front sights on the "C" models, they usually just use pliers to wist them off. Keeping them in place, though, is something else.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Bawanna, what replacements would you recommend? And thanks wy, i might try some epoxy or glue first as a quick fix to see if it even works

I think Dawson Precision makes a really nice front sight. Trijicon? maybe too. One is a pin and a screw, the other is staked in place.

I think the Dawsons are screw on but I might have that backwards.

I think epoxy would certainly tight up your current sight. I mentioned the new stuff as an option for your consideration.

Dawson does make some good stuff and they are good to deal with although it's been quite a spell since I had any dealings with them.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default Re: front sight loose

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I think Dawson Precision makes a really nice front sight. Trijicon? maybe too. One is a pin and a screw, the other is staked in place.

I think the Dawsons are screw on but I might have that backwards.

I think epoxy would certainly tight up your current sight. I mentioned the new stuff as an option for your consideration.

Dawson does make some good stuff and they are good to deal with although it's been quite a spell since I had any dealings with them.
    I put the Trijicons on mine... front sight kind of "snaps" into the top of the slide, then secured with a tiiiiiiiiiiny screw and red thread locker from the bottom.

--Bionic - Tapatalk 2--

Alrighty guys, I ended up trying a simple fix first and just doused the plastic sight pegs in gorilla glue and shoved er back in there and let it set. I took it to the range an hour later and ran about 100 +P rounds through her and maybe 100 FMJ's and its still holding up strong. Thanks for the advise, I may look into metal sights down the road just for fun :P