Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on spotting scope?

Question Suggestions on spotting scope?

I was sighting in rifle the other day and have decided it would far easier with a spotting scope....those treks back and forth at 100 yards take a toll after many trips back and forth. I am mixed on do I get a scope or good set of binoculers?
    Any suggestions on sope or binocs? What brand and what size? I would like to stay under $400 if possible? I think binocs would be more useful?
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Go with an inexpensive spotting scope. Even 10X binoculars won't be of much help beyond 100 yards. There just isn't enough magnification.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

If your a hunter I say go with a spotting scope, the most expensive your will to buy, you get pretty much what you pay for, just like a rifle scope.

I went to small binoculars for hunting that fit in my shirt pocket, large powerful binocs with lot of good magnification I found usually left on the dash board of the truck.

I saw more game through my tiny little binoculars than I ever did the big one left in the truck.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Go with an inexpensive spotting scope. Even 10X binoculars won't be of much help beyond 100 yards. There just isn't enough magnification.

Yep. glass costs $. You get what you pay for.
    I am the Living Man

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

That's a tough one. If you are only going to use this for the range, I'd go with a spotting scope. Let's face it, you'll put it on a tripod or on the bench and focus it on your target. There it will stay focused for the range time.

On the other hand, in my area, a spotting scope is basically useless...in hard woods, thick cover and limited distances (of up to 100yrds or so). A good set of binocs would be far more useful and $400 would do the trick. Bawana is right, a 'good" light, compact set of binocs are far more useful while hunting, than a big, heavy, bulky expensive set. I have both and the expensive heavy set stays home, unless I go out west hunting at longer distances.

Then again, out west or in open country the spotting scope would be very useful and you would have wanted the very best or close to it. $400 would not do the trick.

Specifically for your range bag, I'd go with the lesser expensive spotting scope...and leave it for range use only.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Leupold RX1000 iTBR spotting scope is what we use.

However, our main purpose is watching wildlife. I have wide angle Leupold Binoculars
    (They are in the camper so I can't tell you which model, but if you are really interested I'll get you the model number within the week) which I use to locate the wild life and then hubby zero's in with the spotting scope.

But at the range the spotting scope is more useful. You can leave it set up on a stand and the detailed focus is better.

Both glasses have been a great investment. When we are in a good viewing area
    we spend hours and hours enjoying the wildlife.
    We'd much rather do that they go to the "latest, greatest, mall"

Quote Originally Posted by AIRret View Post
    we spend hours and hours enjoying the wildlife.
    We'd much rather do that they go to the "latest, greatest, mall"
    ....and it's a heck of a lot cheaper, too. Sometimes the best things in life ARE free.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    I was sighting in rifle the other day and have decided it would far easier with a spotting scope....those treks back and forth at 100 yards take a toll after many trips back and forth. I am mixed on do I get a scope or good set of binoculers?
    Any suggestions on sope or binocs? What brand and what size? I would like to stay under $400 if possible? I think binocs would be more useful?
    Hey, Jeepster!

Please allow me to suggest that you look for a "Bushnell Spacemaster 15-45x60 mm Spotting Scope". Great optics. Rugged as heck. What's not to love?!

We have an older model that is still bright and clear after more than two decades of not-too-careful use.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell...es-781818.html

The 15 to 45 zoom eyepiece works really well at our 100 yard range when shooting the Garand.

Our older model has a 45 degree angle eyepiece that makes it a little more convenient both at the range and while viewing high angle celestial objects, like the latest eclipse.

The price, just a little under $400 must be a "sweet spot". That's about what we paid for ours a long time ago and about what you can expect to pay today. Go figure.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Thanks for all the good advice.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I have a bushnell I got with reward points. It's a 20-60 and pretty nice and you can see .223 impacts easily at 100 yards. I will say though that I use the lower magnification more than the higher power
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/