Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace

Thread: Home Defense Strategy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'd like to know what home invasion threat can't be stopped with a hand gun. Grizzly bears? Ok, got me there.

I've never understood any civilian application of the idea "use my pistol to fight my way to my rifle." Who is in between my and my rifle? How did they find out where my rifle is? If I stop them with a hand gun, why do I need the rifle?

I thought the saying was just a cute way of saying your rifle is a more powerful fighting tool than your hand gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I'd like to know what home invasion threat can't be stopped with a hand gun. Grizzly bears? Ok, got me there.

I've never understood any civilian application of the idea "use my pistol to fight my way to my rifle." Who is in between my and my rifle? How did they find out where my rifle is? If I stop them with a hand gun, why do I need the rifle?

I thought the saying was just a cute way of saying your rifle is a more powerful fighting tool than your hand gun.
    But isn’t that the point? That we have no way of knowing what threat may present itself? So, if I have tools at my disposal, shouldn’t I make them accessible and have a plan for using them? Just in case?

I’m fishing for valid reasons not to use a rifle for home defense. So far the over penetration issue seems to be the legitimate concern. And that’s only for some people who would rather risk failure vs. the remote chance they might shoot their kids through the wall. I’m not criticising. That could make sense. In my case I can afford to be better prepared.

I’m also interested in anyone who feels a rifle is a good idea. And if they have any tips for doing it well. Thanks.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

That could be.
    ​O|||||||O