• Yes, how many rounds?

0 0%
  • No

11 100.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CM9 Extractor is Hammered (Pictures) - Any One See This Before

Default CM9 Extractor is Hammered (Pictures) - Any One See This Before

Anyone see this.
    Is this normal. Is this something you have to replace often?
    To me this should be hitting only brass, and steel should be the winner.

I happened to have one sitting on my desk, with thousands of rounds through it. I only fire brass though. Steel case ammo might be a different story. Looks fine, but is a bit dirty.

Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    I happened to have one sitting on my desk, with thousands of rounds through it. I only fire brass though. Steel case ammo might be a different story. Looks fine, but is a bit dirty.
    THANKS.... yep I cleaned it, polished it and it did not look too bad and put it back together.

I am disappointed in KAHR...They never got back to me... I sent them a request.

The part is $16 I recall... So I am going to by a new one. The extractor is scoring or making the rim of the brass. Since I reload this is not good to have these deep scratches in the rim....

Quote Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
    Anyone see this.
    Is this normal. Is this something you have to replace often?
    To me this should be hitting only brass, and steel should be the winner.

To me, that looks like damage that might occur from rounds feeding ahead of the extractor or from dropping the slide on a round already in the chamber.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Good eye, Greg. I was going to say the same thing. You should never put a round in the chamber and then drop the slide.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    To me, that looks like damage that might occur from rounds feeding ahead of the extractor or from dropping the slide on a round already in the chamber.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Good eye, Greg. I was going to say the same thing. You should never put a round in the chamber and then drop the slide.
    Thanks for the input Gents, but that is speculation on your part I can address. I have never dropped a round in the chamber. I know better.
    I only go into battery one way and one way only, I lock slide back, insert magazine with bullets (brass case), release slide. For more data
    I shoot standard 115gr FMJ for practice and premium LEO Federal or Speer JHP on rare occasion. Also FYI in 500-600 rounds I have never
    had a misfire... So I am doing something right, rough edge to extractor or not.

UPDATE, to Kahrs credit they are sending me a new extractor with a return envelope to send old one back for analysis.
    I well informed in mechanical engineering and metallurgy by education and profession. Brass will not do this to hardened
    steel.

Could it have been that way from the factory?
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Quote Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
    Thanks for the input Gents, but that is speculation on your part I can address. I have never dropped a round in the chamber. I know better.
    I only go into battery one way and one way only, I lock slide back, insert magazine with bullets (brass case), release slide. For more data
    I shoot standard 115gr FMJ for practice and premium LEO Federal or Speer JHP on rare occasion. Also FYI in 500-600 rounds I have never
    had a misfire... So I am doing something right, rough edge to extractor or not.

UPDATE, to Kahrs credit they are sending me a new extractor with a return envelope to send old one back for analysis.
    I well informed in mechanical engineering and metallurgy by education and profession. Brass will not do this to hardened
    steel.
    Thank you for the clarifying how you chamber rounds gmcjetpilot.
    Not having the part on hand to examine closely, we must speculate given the evidence in your photos. Your photos suggest to me that there is damage to the edges of the extractor, but I can't tell definitively if the edges are deformed or chipped.
    I've not tested an extractor to verify whether they are hardened or not. Have you? I'd very much appreciate hearing your results if you have.
    For the sake of argument, let's say that it is hardened.
    One way knife makers test hardened blades is to press the flat of the edge against a brass rod. This can result in a deformed edge, chipped edge, or an unaffected edge.
    I'll not argue that the edges of the extractor are thicker than most knife blade edges, but given the correct conditions (enough force, shock, etc.) I think it plausible that the edges of the extractor could react in a similar manner.
    With that in mind and from the location of the damage on your extractor, I still believe this is could be caused by rounds feeding ahead of the extractor (and I'd be checking my pistol to see if it was push feeding).
    Then again, I may be way off base with the above. So, kudos to Kahr for sending the part and I'm pulling for it to fix your issue.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by gb6491; 04-28-2016 at 09:28 AM.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post

I say that puppie needs to soak in some gun cleaner for a few days and scrubbed with a stiff wire brush. If the rest of your gun looks similar, maybe just throw the whole thing in there and let it soak. With the already tight tolerances of the Kahr, your clogging the drain so to speak.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    I say that puppie needs to soak in some gun cleaner for a few days and scrubbed with a stiff wire brush. If the rest of your gun looks similar, maybe just throw the whole thing in there and let it soak. With the already tight tolerances of the Kahr, your clogging the drain so to speak.
    The extractors self-clean. By putting it on my desk, I was hoping it would clean the whole thing....
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...