Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Grand Cherokee e-fan conversion..very little gun content

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    McGyver indeed............................................ ............I wouldn't even know what they use as far as thermostats these days in these new fangled cars.
    Yep, thank the powers to be for the internet

Quote Originally Posted by GROTMAN View Post
    Needless to say but you are da man! Love those desert pics as well. That area is just made for jeepin. Maybe someday I'll get mine out that way.
    Thanks! Hope to see you (and all others) out this way
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I've run a Taurus fan in my '96 Grand Cherokee for about 8 years. Killed one, one of the speeds quit working so I went to the junkyard and picked up another one. I just run a toggle switch so I get low-off-high, it's worked fine for me. Mine is my 'wheeling rig, and it doesn't see many miles each year. Did drive it from Denver to Moab and back this June, temps went up over 210 just a couple of times on the long climbs but that's it.

You will like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    Nice work Greg. I have an electric fan on a little toy car. It has a manual fan switch as well as the sensor to activate it. The thing works well to cool things off when it comes on.
    You two have me feeling good about the decision to go with the electric fan...especially since Ken L uses the same fan in his ZJ. Thanks!!

On a side note: as I was in the groove, I decided to work on a few other small issues the Jeep has.
    The driver's side master panel had the only controls that would work the power windows and power door locks. I found two broken wires in the bundle between the driver's door and the frame that fixed all that once the breaks were repaired. I also replaced a faulty rear door actuator while I was on the doors.
    My cruise control was intermittent to mostly dead. Replacing the brake light switch solved that.
    The only real thing left to do is drop the gas tank as I'm pretty sure the fuel level sending unit is shot.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Might fine looking install, looks like the factory put it all together. Color me impressed! I've been toying with the idea of putting electric fans in my Blazer for a few years but me and electriconical gizmos don't mix terribly well. I can do basic but not much more than that. I don't have a problem with cooling in the Blazer but it would be nice to free up some extra HP.

I'll be picking up a project tomorrow, a 1972 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 and will more than likely put electric fans on that. Plan for it is as a hunting/camping/fishing rig and not an offroad toy. I have the Blazer that will turn into more of a toy as it has been handling the towing of our little travel trailer for the aforementioned activities. The Blazer does fine with the towing until I cross passes above 10,000 feet. It makes no problem but I've been passed by little old ladies walking up the pass with their strollers and really want something that can handle more weight that has a bed and more power.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    Might fine looking install, looks like the factory put it all together. Color me impressed! I've been toying with the idea of putting electric fans in my Blazer for a few years but me and electriconical gizmos don't mix terribly well. I can do basic but not much more than that. I don't have a problem with cooling in the Blazer but it would be nice to free up some extra HP.

I'll be picking up a project tomorrow, a 1972 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 and will more than likely put electric fans on that. Plan for it is as a hunting/camping/fishing rig and not an offroad toy. I have the Blazer that will turn into more of a toy as it has been handling the towing of our little travel trailer for the aforementioned activities. The Blazer does fine with the towing until I cross passes above 10,000 feet. It makes no problem but I've been passed by little old ladies walking up the pass with their strollers and really want something that can handle more weight that has a bed and more power.
    Hey, thanks!
    The electrical is mostly running and connecting wires.
    I think I spent the most time (in proportion to what needed to be done) looking for a way to get the wires for the controller through the firewall.
    There are quite a few tutorials on line that list what you will need.
    One of the reasons I went with the Dakota Digital stuff was that I could get the controller, a matched temp sender, and appropriate relays from the same place with free shipping. Dakota Digital also has a good wiring diagram in the controller manual: http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/PAC-2750d.pdf

The 3/4 ton sounds like a fun project

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Greg - You're just a talented individual.

I'd love to see you, Alfonse, and Harrylee get together and brainstorm in your workshop sometime.

It'd make the Manhattan Project look like a daycare center....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post

I'd love to see you, Alfonse, and Harrylee get together and brainstorm in your workshop sometime.

That could be very scary .... to much talent unleashed at once!
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I love those figure out a way besides how it was made fixes. Too cool.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Good install and superb pics, as usual! Installed electric fans on my 2002 6.0l chevy truck a year ago. Mega good results! A/C works better, transmission cooler when towing, worth every penny and install time! The beast will thank you Greg!
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Electric fan for your driving habits makes a lot of sense, max cooling regardless of engine rpms.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    You done McGyver proud buddy. Overheating vehicles has always been one of my biggest worries. Just paranoid about it.
    Never had any major issues to cause this trauma, just always a concern for me.

I put an Accu Gauge in my van I believe at Wynn's recommendation, I sometimes think I was better off not knowing. Now as it climbs a few degrees I get to worrying.

I'm used to the old 180 degree thermostats and my mechanic told me the van has a 195 OEM so that gave me 15 degrees less to worry about.

On the road trip a couple weeks ago and last year too it climbed to 210 on a few climbs. He said nothing to worry about but I worried anyhow ya know.
    Me too, the same way, but I got seriously stranded in a blizzard once....years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    That could be very scary .... to much talent unleashed at once!
    Thank you, but shoot, I'm a technician..a dabbler. Those boys (and some others here) are the brains....getting them together might be scary, but it sure would be interesting to see what they come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    I love those figure out a way besides how it was made fixes. Too cool.
    Me too; in my case, I think it's the hill billy blood. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bills1873 View Post
    Good install and superb pics, as usual! Installed electric fans on my 2002 6.0l chevy truck a year ago. Mega good results! A/C works better, transmission cooler when towing, worth every penny and install time! The beast will thank you Greg!
    Thanks and I appreciate knowing that your install is working out for you....the more assurance the better.

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Electric fan for your driving habits makes a lot of sense, max cooling regardless of engine rpms.
    I do believe you are correct boss

Regards,
    Greg