Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: CW380 Guide Rod--AGAIN!!

Only you can decide when to cut your losses. I cut mine after 600 rounds and a trip back to Kahr and my CW380 still would not reliably cycle anything other than Hornady Critical Defense. It really was a shame because like you I really liked the Kahr. I've not been brave enough to try another one.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

That reminds me…I also purchased over 300 rounds of Hornady CD because it was the ammo that my Kahr seemed to prefer, and I wanted to make sure I was stocked up! Not a total loss, since even if I walk away from the Kahr I can always use it in my Pico or RM380, both of which will eat anything.

Sorry to hear about your Kahr. I remain convinced that they have the POTENTIAL to be the best DA micro-380 out there. Sadly, it appears that too often that potential is never realized.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Only you can decide when to cut your losses. I cut mine after 600 rounds and a trip back to Kahr and my CW380 still would not reliably cycle anything other than Hornady Critical Defense. It really was a shame because like you I really liked the Kahr. I've not been brave enough to try another one.

Dave

I am glad I discovered the mod of slightly rounding the extractor corner for the CW380. I also polished the extractor. It immediately made the firearm feed and eject any 380 brand ammo I use. The gun is a without a doubt the best 380 I have ever owned (HI Point CF-380....Taurus TCP 738.... Ruger LCP -original model) and glad I hung in and worked with it.

And then you've got guys like me. I've had every possible problem with my P380 EXCEPT feed issues.

Well, seems like everyone produces lemons, unfortunately.
    Even Ruger has been plagued by a lack of quality control for the past couple of years..... not to mention multiple recall fiascos. Then there is all the decades-long drama at Colt. S&W with their similar problems too. Ain't even going to talk about the Remlins.

Hope Kahr came do better - I just ordered a CW9.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Well, seems like everyone produces lemons, unfortunately.
    And the experience colors how we feel about a gun and our confidence in it. My Pico grief is the mirror of DavidR's with CW380, though many love theirs. First the front sight kept flying off. Then the trigger would not reset. Now Beretta has sent me a brand new one after 3 trips to the mother ship for the same issue (trigger) but I'm done with it. Plus I'm not a fan of how they shoot even when working right. Maybe its just emotional but I'm not taking this one out of the box. Anyone want a NIB Pico plus lots of extras?
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Sig P290RS has actually been the worst for me. Three trips to Sig (trigger reset, extraction failure, extraction failure) and then it developed a new problem.

Gave up on it and traded it in toward a CM9 which I picked up today.

Dave
    Last edited by DavidR; 08-17-2017 at 06:05 PM.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

This appears to be a particularly difficult niche of pistols. Other than the Remington, I can't think of a single .380 pistol that hasn't had its share of difficulties. Even Glock had trouble rolling out the 42, although I've heard that they eventually got it straightened out (although it IS the size of a micro-9). Can anyone think of another .380 that appears to be utterly reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Can anyone think of another .380 that appears to be utterly reliable?
    My Sig P238 was totally reliable from round one, but I just couldn't bring myself to pocket carry it cocked and locked next to my........zipper.

For a single action gun, it had a pretty stiff trigger pull too - 6 lbs. It got traded in on CW380#2 and my Pico. Don't miss it one bit.

I still have my Bodyguard 380 though. It was a light primer strike monster for the first 200 rounds. It's the reason I bought my first CW380. It has since broken in nicely, and while the trigger pull is still REALLY long, it lightened up to a bit over 7 lbs. No more light strikes either. I'm pleased with all 4 of my 380s, and since they take a back seat to my 9mm Kahrs in my carry rotation, I'm looking no further.

Now if Kahr would make a MK380, all bets are off...

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Can anyone think of another .380 that appears to be utterly reliable?
    Why shore....

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling