Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another HR 218 (LEOSA) Qual

Default Another HR 218 (LEOSA) Qual

It's been rather quiet in the LE Forum as of late so I though I would make a current entry.
    Today I completed another successful HR 218 qualification with my PM9, 40/40.
    Ammo of choice, 12 year ('01) old Win. NATO spec 124 gr. ball.
    The PM9 ran great!

It has been quiet here Jim.

I did my qual the first week of May.

T9= 40/40

G19= 40/40

It was a pleasant day.

Thumbs up

I'm currently exercising my right under HR 218 by visiting with family in NJ for a couple of weeks.
    No HP ammo of course while I'm here.

Jersey doesn't allow hollow points?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Glock23 View Post
    Jersey doesn't allow hollow points?
    Active LE - OK of course.
    Retired LE - NO WAY :32:

The NJSP and AG's Office refuse to recognize the 2010 changes to HR 218 that allows for HP ammo by retired LE even where restricted otherwise.

Question. I am former LEO with 12 yrs under my belt in PA. I had to "retire" due to having major lower back surgery. I separated from my dept in good standing. I fall under the revised LEOSA. Here's the thing, my dept doesn't issue ID's to separated officers, and my understanding of LEOSA states you have to have one. Does anyone know if there is a way for officers with the same issue to get an ID card to become LEOSA compliant? Thanks for your time!!

Quote Originally Posted by swilcher7 View Post
    Question. I am former LEO with 12 yrs under my belt in PA. I had to "retire" due to having major lower back surgery. I separated from my dept in good standing. I fall under the revised LEOSA. Here's the thing, my dept doesn't issue ID's to separated officers, and my understanding of LEOSA states you have to have one. Does anyone know if there is a way for officers with the same issue to get an ID card to become LEOSA compliant? Thanks for your time!!
    It's been a while since I sat down read the whole thing. But, I think that I recall specific wording about disability separation.

Please don't rely on my failing memory. Research it.
    "Never argue with a fool; he will only pull you down to his level, and beat you with experience"

My uncle went thru something similar. He went out on disability and their attitude was if you can't carry a gun for us you can't carry a gun for yourself.
    It's been so long I don't recall what he did to resolve the issue or if he ever did.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by swilcher7 View Post
    Maybe this will help. Taken from:

http://www.fop.net/legislative/issue...8/hr218faq.pdf

The most recent amendment to LEOSA further clarifies that former law enforcement officers

employed by the U.S. Department of Defense who may not have been deemed as having “statutory

powers of arrest,” but who do have the authority, under the Uniform Code of Military Justice

(UCMJ), to apprehend suspects, meet the definition of “qualified law enforcement officer.”

Qualified retired law enforcement officers must carry the photographic identification issued by the

agency for which they were employed and have now separated.

An officer separating from service with his agency who has been officially found by a qualified

medical professional employed by the agency to be unqualified for continued service for reasons

related to mental health and, for that reason is not issued the photographic identification described

above and in the statute, is not a qualified retired law enforcement officer as described in 18 USC

926C. Similarly, an officer who has entered into an agreement with the agency from which he is

separating which acknowledges that the officer is not qualified under 18 USC 926C for reasons

related to mental health and for these reasons will not receive or accept the photographic

identification described above is not a qualified retired law enforcement officer as described in 18

USC 926C.

In addition to carrying the photographic identification issued by the agency for which they were

employed or were separated, the qualified retired law enforcement officer must also carry

documentation which certifies that they have met, within the most recent twelve month period, the

active duty law enforcement standards for qualification for a firearm of the same type as the one

they intend to carry.

Thank you all for your responses. I think I need to clarify what I meant. I meet the standards required for LEOSA. Here in PA, the state police govern our municipal police officers training. Under their guidelines, your dept has to issue you an ID card as part of the requirements. My dept doesn't issue "separated" officers ID's unless you are a "retired" officer. That's where I have my issue. Are there any LEOs out there, or anyone that knows one that had this same issue pertaining to ID cards, and if so how did they resolve it. I know Federal trumps State, but the ID is a requirement, and that's what holding me up. Thank you all again!!